Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 09:33 PM

102,215 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

It's not only a VW scandal, now. They've discovered that about 10 different manufacturers from around the world have done the same, including some US companies. It's starting to look like it's fairly industry-wide. Investigations are ongoing. Stay tuned for further developments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 10:27 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,654,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's not only a VW scandal, now. They've discovered that about 10 different manufacturers from around the world have done the same, including some US companies. It's starting to look like it's fairly industry-wide. Investigations are ongoing. Stay tuned for further developments.
I guess just one name out of the ten is too much to ask?
Do any Asian manufacturers offer diesel in the US?

Old 10-09-2015, 10:28 PM

Oops!

There’s a second US investigation into Volkswagen. Federal and California regulators have begun an investigation into a second computer program in VW’s diesel cars (paywall), which are at the heart of an emissions scandal that has rocked the car company. VW has withdrawn its 2016 models of its diesel cars from environmental certification.

CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION BEGINS INTO VOLKSWAGEN IN GERMANY: German prosecutors suspect VW employees engaged in criminal actions, and conducted raids at the company’s headquarters to launch a fraud investigation into the carmaker’s manipulation of software to cheat emissions testing. Prosecutor Birgit Seel told POLITICO’s Hans von der Burchard she did not want to reveal the exact number or the function of the suspects but said “They are less than 10, and Martin Winterkorn is not among them.” In the U.S., members of Congress accused VW executives of lying to them by suggesting that software engineers rigged emissions systems without top management knowing. “I cannot accept VW’s portrayal of this,” Rep. Chris Collins (R-N.Y.) said. Rep. Michael Burgess was in disbelief. “Do you understand how that just defies credulity?” Burgess said. http://politi.co/1Lkmkgd

Old 10-10-2015, 04:15 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,602 times
First of all, Volkswagen is a multinational and as with every multinational it isn't representative of the contry where it originated anymore. Their only objective is getting a profit for themselves and that's probably the only thing they care about nowadays.

Honestly i don't think this problem is exclusive to Volkswagen, i'm ready to bet that similar companies did the exact same thing, this could be a wake up call to stop doing it as they would all face ridiculous fines just like the German car company.

Look at this article (http://www.theguardian.com/environme...ons-tests-show) and you'll find that it's several companies who did this trick including Renault, Nissan, Volvo, Fiat, ecc.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:25 AM

919 posts, read 840,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Do any Asian manufacturers offer diesel in the US?
Diesel cars from Mazda are quite popular in Japan. I don't know if you can buy them in the US though.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:29 AM

919 posts, read 840,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
There’s a second US investigation into Volkswagen. Federal and California regulators have begun an investigation into a second computer program in VW’s diesel cars (paywall), which are at the heart of an emissions scandal that has rocked the car company. VW has withdrawn its 2016 models of its diesel cars from environmental certification.
I would not be surprised if VW had done similar thing on gasoline vehicles for improving their mileage.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Diesel cars from Mazda are quite popular in Japan. I don't know if you can buy them in the US though.
That Mazda still hasn't made it to the US. Only all the Germans plus one Chevy, one Jeep, and and one Dodge truck offer diesel in the US, and VW dominates, at least in 2012.

Diesel Car Guide: Every 2015-2016 Car & Light Truck, With Specs: UPDATED

We're a two VW house. I drive an old Passat nearing it's end, and she drives a 2 year old Touareg, both gas, but still, it's embarrassing out there. In divorce law, when cheating spouses are in play, some US states have a legal concept known as "alienation of affection". I might go look for a lawyer.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:37 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,178,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Walmart employs 1% of America. Is it a role model? No, I do not think (and hope) so. Neither is VW for the Germans, but it is, of course, very important for the German economy. Around 250k Germans work for the corporation.

Calling non-diesel versions of Porsche, Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti and Audi inferior is a stupid thing to say. The 918 Spyder, for example, is one of the most advanced sports cars in the world. The 911 has been a sports car benchmark for decades. The Golf is still the hatchback benchmark in Europe.

I am pretty sure VW will bounce back in 3-4 years.

Or maybe a bankruptcy is what VW needs:
GM bankruptcy worth billions in faulty-ignition switch reprieve

Bentley and Lamborghini are not German products(nor the research put into them).

Audis are basically glorified VWs. I've seen 2008 Jettas and 2010 Passats before and the first thing I noticed (in the engine compartment) was Audi logos (Jettas are very similar to Audi A4s and the Passats share many components with the Audi A6.

Walmart is not an automaker. Most products they sell are made in China. VW is an icon, as are all other German automakers. When an icon gets implicated in such a scandal, it shows corruption is deep embedded into the way business is done in Germany. They are no different than any other country they recently pointed fingers to.

The Porsche that killed Paul Walker was also very advanced but did not have traction control.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:22 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,191,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Bentley and Lamborghini are not German products(nor the research put into them).

Audis are basically glorified VWs. I've seen 2008 Jettas and 2010 Passats before and the first thing I noticed (in the engine compartment) was Audi logos (Jettas are very similar to Audi A4s and the Passats share many components with the Audi A6.

Walmart is not an automaker. Most products they sell are made in China. VW is an icon, as are all other German automakers. When an icon gets implicated in such a scandal, it shows corruption is deep embedded into the way business is done in Germany. They are no different than any other country they recently pointed fingers to.

The Porsche that killed Paul Walker was also very advanced but did not have traction control.
Well...

The Bentley Continental GT shares a platform with the Volkswagen Phaeton. The W12 engine was developed by the VW Group and has also been used by Audi and VW. The V10 engine in the Gallardo and Huracán is an adapted Audi engine. The crankcase and cylinder block are made at an Audi factory in Hungary.

Audis are not exactly glorified VWs, but of course they share many components with other models in the VW Group. Is VW a glorified Skoda or is the Gallardo a glorified Audi R8? Maybe?

The Porsche Carrera GT (2004) was meant to be a race car for the street. Proper race cars do not have TCS and ESP. The Carrera GT also has a MT, unlike the Enzo. It is a car for professionals and is very difficult to drive. Just managing the carbon clutch is a handful. Walker traveled between 80 miles per hour (130 km/h) and 93 miles per hour (150 km/h), and had nine-year-old tires.

As the German user GER308 wrote: "Volkswagen is a huge international corporation. When they have meetings they are held in English.
It in no way represents Germany or the German people. No more so than Chrysler represents the people of USA.
The only thing it represents is capitalism and greed."

Last edited by cmptrwlt; 10-12-2015 at 04:35 PM..

Old 10-12-2015, 08:30 PM

Haven't read all these yet.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe