Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 07:40 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,587 times

Advertisements

VW - The Movie? Book not yet written, movie rights purchased.

THAT WAS QUICK: VW SCANDAL HEADED TO HOLLYWOOD - Reuters: "The Volkswagen AG scandal over diesel emission tests is headed for Hollywood. U.S. movie studio Paramount Picture and actor Leonardo DiCaprio's production company have acquired movie rights to a book proposal by New York Times journalist Jack Ewing about the clean diesel scandal, the biggest crisis in Volkswagen's 78-year history, Paramount and New York literary agency Marly Rusoff and Associates said on Monday. Publishing rights for the as-yet-untitled book sold earlier this month for six figures to the Norton publishing house, Marly Rusoff said.

"The book is expected to investigate how a 'more, better, faster' ethos fueled one of the greatest frauds in corporate history. "Europe's largest automaker has admitted rigging diesel emissions tests in the United States, and Germany's transport minister says it also manipulated them in Europe. The scandal has wiped more than a third off the German company's share price, forced out its long-time CEO and prompted investigations around the world. DiCaprio ... is ... one of Hollywood's leading environmental campaigners."http://reut.rs/1k0gW7L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 07:56 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Well...

The Bentley Continental GT shares a platform with the Volkswagen Phaeton. The W12 engine was developed by the VW Group and has also been used by Audi and VW. The V10 engine in the Gallardo and Huracán is an adapted Audi engine. The crankcase and cylinder block are made at an Audi factory in Hungary.

Audis are not exactly glorified VWs, but of course they share many components with other models in the VW Group. Is VW a glorified Skoda or is the Gallardo a glorified Audi R8? Maybe?

The Porsche Carrera GT (2004) was meant to be a race car for the street. Proper race cars do not have TCS and ESP. The Carrera GT also has a MT, unlike the Enzo. It is a car for professionals and is very difficult to drive. Just managing the carbon clutch is a handful. Walker traveled between 80 miles per hour (130 km/h) and 93 miles per hour (150 km/h), and had nine-year-old tires.

As the German user GER308 wrote: "Volkswagen is a huge international corporation. When they have meetings they are held in English.
It in no way represents Germany or the German people. No more so than Chrysler represents the people of USA.
The only thing it represents is capitalism and greed."
So wait, because some Boeing airplanes use Rolls Royce engines, they are British products? Bentley is British (design wise and 'history of the brand' wise) and the Gallardo is Italian. Skoda is Chech(manufacturers utilize whatever components they can get cheaper. It's called globalization). Btw, the Audi A4 in particular is very plasticky in the interior(that's definitely a glorified Jetta SEL).

Well, to be fair, if VW does not represent the German people, then neither should the governments of many peripheral economies that have been painted as cheaters for running huge deficits. Maybe tell that to the Germans next time they point fingers and chastise other countries (Portugal, Spain, Greece, Italy etc..(seems their economy is based on cheaters too)).

Think what environmental impact CO2 emissions may have had from 11 million diesel vehicles. Do you realize there's a coral bleaching effect going on worldwide for a couple yrs now? What dollar figure can you put on that?

Old 10-13-2015, 12:24 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,183,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
So wait, because some Boeing airplanes use Rolls Royce engines, they are British products? Bentley is British (design wise and 'history of the brand' wise) and the Gallardo is Italian. Skoda is Chech(manufacturers utilize whatever components they can get cheaper. It's called globalization). Btw, the Audi A4 in particular is very plasticky in the interior(that's definitely a glorified Jetta SEL).

Well, to be fair, if VW does not represent the German people, then neither should the governments of many peripheral economies that have been painted as cheaters for running huge deficits. Maybe tell that to the Germans next time they point fingers and chastise other countries (Portugal, Spain, Greece, Italy etc..(seems their economy is based on cheaters too)).

Think what environmental impact CO2 emissions may have had from 11 million diesel vehicles. Do you realize there's a coral bleaching effect going on worldwide for a couple yrs now? What dollar figure can you put on that?
I do not follow your logic. The Audi A4 is a glorified Jetta because it is German, but the Octavia is not because it is made by Skoda in the Czech Republic? Have you driven a Skoda from the early 80s? I have and it was rubbish. VW bought the brand and have changed everything. The A4 is not even based on the same platform as the Jetta. It has more in common with the European Passat. The A4 also have much better build quality than most of its competitors. That even includes any American car (Telsa, GM, Chrysler, Ford) under $150k.

Many car manufacturers also have to use components from others because they do not have the expertise and/or financial resources to develop their own. One example: Aston Martin will in the future use engines from Mercedes.

The government of Greece do represent the public. Why? Because they were elected by the people. That is what we call democracy.

Dieselgate is mainly about NOx emissions, not CO2. The former is especially bad in a city environment.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I do not follow your logic. The Audi A4 is a glorified Jetta because it is German, but the Octavia is not because it is made by Skoda in the Czech Republic? Have you driven a Skoda from the early 80s? I have and it was rubbish. VW bought the brand and have changed everything. The A4 is not even based on the same platform as the Jetta. It has more in common with the European Passat. The A4 also have much better build quality than most of its competitors. That even includes any American car (Telsa, GM, Chrysler, Ford) under $150k.

Many car manufacturers also have to use components from others because they do not have the expertise and/or financial resources to develop their own. One example: Aston Martin will in the future use engines from Mercedes.

The government of Greece do represent the public. Why? Because they were elected by the people. That is what we call democracy.

Dieselgate is mainly about NOx emissions, not CO2. The former is especially bad in a city environment.
My experience with A4s(I considered one in the past) was that it had an interior with a plasticky feel to it, especially the modular cover(s) over the instrument panel. The Passats/CCs have the same issue (squeaky interiors). I know from experience. Lots of complaints with inferior plastics(and if you flip them, they say Made in Germany, so go figure).

I remember renting an older generation Impala which seemed to have better/thicker plastics in its cabin. Same with Chrysler's (I'm basing my opinion on rentals, 200, Charger etc..) So, what was said by that guy Gordon Murray from McLaren was true (VW resorted to cost cutting techniques and cutting corners, as is the case with this scandal.) All to become #1(and don't tell me it had nothing to do with the Germans in general wanting to dominate(their rational is well known; read some history if not familiar with it).

Btw, the new generation Cadillacs are just as good as any German car(especially the CTS-V); not to mention American trucks. Teslas are in a different category, you basically pay for the battery/technology and the huge computer in the middle. Germany does not have an equivalent product.

Again, read the following to get the big picture on German bribes and mentality of doing business(written by a German newspaper).

Complicit in Corruption: Millions Paid to 'Consultants' - SPIEGEL ONLINE

and on CO2..

""About 19.64 pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2) are produced from burning a gallon of gasoline that does not contain ethanol. About 22.38 pounds of CO2 are produced by burning a gallon of diesel fuel.""

How much carbon dioxide is produced by burning gasoline and diesel fuel? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Old 10-13-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
My experience with A4s(I considered one in the past) was that it had an interior with a plasticky feel to it, especially the modular cover(s) over the instrument panel. The Passats/CCs have the same issue (squeaky interiors). I know from experience. Lots of complaints with inferior plastics(and if you flip them, they say Made in Germany, so go figure).

I remember renting an older generation Impala which seemed to have better/thicker plastics in its cabin. Same with Chrysler's (I'm basing my opinion on rentals, 200, Charger etc..) So, what was said by that guy Gordon Murray from McLaren was true (VW resorted to cost cutting techniques and cutting corners, as is the case with this scandal.) All to become #1(and don't tell me it had nothing to do with the Germans in general wanting to dominate(their rational is well known; read some history if not familiar with it).

Btw, the new generation Cadillacs are just as good as any German car(especially the CTS-V); not to mention American trucks. Teslas are in a different category, you basically pay for the battery/technology and the huge computer in the middle. Germany does not have an equivalent product.

Again, read the following to get the big picture on German bribes and mentality of doing business(written by a German newspaper).

Complicit in Corruption: Millions Paid to 'Consultants' - SPIEGEL ONLINE

and on CO2..

""About 19.64 pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2) are produced from burning a gallon of gasoline that does not contain ethanol. About 22.38 pounds of CO2 are produced by burning a gallon of diesel fuel.""

How much carbon dioxide is produced by burning gasoline and diesel fuel? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
The European VWs and Audis are known for their terrific build quality. I know that the American Passat has inferior build quality due to cost savings. I guess the same goes for the Jetta sold in the US.

Europeans do not care about Cadillac, Corvette or Viper. They are considered tacky (think gold chains and sweatpants), inferior in terms of build quality and are not the bargains as in the US.

The EV market is tiny. Tesla sold 10,030 cars worldwide in Q1 2015. Toyota sold over 100,000 Camrys in the US alone in the same period. The Model S is supposed to be a luxury car. I have driven one and I was not that impressed. Their profit margin is over 25%, so I guess Tesla can afford to upgrade the interior and quality. Unfortunately, Musk is a sucker for pointless gimmicks.

Of course VW would like to be number one. The same goes for GM and Toyota. I do not think Germany is any more corrupt than US, UK or Japan.

https://www.transparency.org/cpi2014/results

Old 10-13-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
The European VWs and Audis are known for their terrific build quality. I know that the American Passat has inferior build quality due to cost savings. I guess the same goes for the Jetta sold in the US.

Europeans do not care about Cadillac, Corvette or Viper. They are considered tacky (think gold chains and sweatpants), inferior in terms of build quality and are not the bargains as in the US.

The EV market is tiny. Tesla sold 10,030 cars worldwide in Q1 2015. Toyota sold over 100,000 Camrys in the US alone in the same period. The Model S is supposed to be a luxury car. I have driven one and I was not that impressed. Their profit margin is over 25%, so I guess Tesla can afford to upgrade the interior and quality. Unfortunately, Musk is a sucker for pointless gimmicks.

Of course VW would like to be number one. The same goes for GM and Toyota. I do not think Germany is any more corrupt than US, UK or Japan.

https://www.transparency.org/cpi2014/results
Since you mentioned quality..

"Passat's interior is a puzzling mix of high-quality materials offset by budget-grade plastics and some dashboard panels that ring hollow instead of solid to the touch. One 4-cylinder powered test car suffered instrument-panel buzzing and rattles." -- Consumer Guide

2010 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Interior | U.S. News Best Cars

This is the 2010 model(the European one). Most of these were made in Emden or Wolfsburg.

I've seen the American Passat and has a better interior than the European, at least in cabin materials (probably American made materials).

Europeans don't care about American cars due to politics, especially Germans(most refuse to buy foreign cars). Truth is, American cars are just as good. There's a myth about German Engineering and quality and other stuff, but now their image has been tarnished.

I'm not fond of the Tesla, however, the new Cadillac CTS-V will kick many German cars' arse in style. Also, check the new Ford GT.

At any rate, if German car makers continuously bribe foreign governments and the German gov does not interfere to stop that, they must be all in it together.

Daimler agrees to settle Justice Department charges of bribing foreign officials

Old 10-13-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Since you mentioned quality..

"Passat's interior is a puzzling mix of high-quality materials offset by budget-grade plastics and some dashboard panels that ring hollow instead of solid to the touch. One 4-cylinder powered test car suffered instrument-panel buzzing and rattles." -- Consumer Guide

2010 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Interior | U.S. News Best Cars

This is the 2010 model(the European one). Most of these were made in Emden or Wolfsburg.

I've seen the American Passat and has a better interior than the European, at least in cabin materials (probably American made materials).

Europeans don't care about American cars due to politics, especially Germans(most refuse to buy foreign cars). Truth is, American cars are just as good. There's a myth about German Engineering and quality and other stuff, but now their image has been tarnished.

I'm not fond of the Tesla, however, the new Cadillac CTS-V will kick many German cars' arse in style. Also, check the new Ford GT.

At any rate, if German car makers continuously bribe foreign governments and the German gov does not interfere to stop that, they must be all in it together.

Daimler agrees to settle Justice Department charges of bribing foreign officials
I guess you forgot to read this:
"The interior is arguably the finest in this segment, boasting high-quality materials and a classy look." -- Edmunds
"Interior trim options include wood, aluminum or composite, and standard leatherette seating gives even the base model an upscale feel." -- Kelley Blue Book

"The VW Passat's comfortable and upscale cabin is one of its high points. Fit and finish is superb, and there's a feeling of precision to all the controls. Interior materials quality is first-rate -- the Passat is more akin to entry-level luxury sedans than family sedans in this regard." -- Edmunds
The current American Passat is subpar:

The New Euro VW Passat is Too Good for America

2015 Volkswagen Passat Euro-Spec

American cars are known in Europe for their terrible build quality and fit and finish. The CTS-V is insanely vulgar. The same goes for the Corvette Z06. Europeans do not want typical American cars (SUVs, trucks, large sedans). The cars sold by Opel/Vauxhall and Ford are mainly built for Europeans by Europeans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55oNybHXPZg

The Ford GT is a $400k car with a turbo V6. I want V12 power for that price!

Old 10-14-2015, 03:34 AM

401 posts, read 534,179 times
Quote:
"The interior is arguably the finest in this segment, boasting high-quality materials and a classy look." -- Edmunds
"Interior trim options include wood, aluminum or composite, and standard leatherette seating gives even the base model an upscale feel." -- Kelley Blue Book

"The VW Passat's comfortable and upscale cabin is one of its high points. Fit and finish is superb, and there's a feeling of precision to all the controls. Interior materials quality is first-rate -- the Passat is more akin to entry-level luxury sedans than family sedans in this regard." -- Edmunds

American cars are known in Europe for their terrible build quality and fit and finish. The CTS-V is insanely vulgar. The same goes for the Corvette Z06. Europeans do not want typical American cars (SUVs, trucks, large sedans). The cars sold by Opel/Vauxhall and Ford are mainly built for Europeans by Europeans.

Your post is a huge load of rubbish. US built cars are immensely popular in Europe, both old classic cars and newer. Look at the classic car scene in Scandinavia. US cars have masses and masses of followers. In many countries the largest classic car following is US cars - both new and old. Claiming Europeans don`t like US car styling is simply not true.

Most of the enthusiasts that like American cars in Europe find Euro models bland, boring and totally uninteresting. And they are not few - they are thousands. Drive an old Buick or a Ferrari - guess which car will draw the crowds !!!

BUT, most European countries tax cars by cubic inch displacement and most US cars have engines with higher CID. As an example a regular moderately priced Chevy will receive a huge tax premium when registered in many European countries.

Most European car builders base their models on low CID, high revving and turbo chargers.

This protects European car industry, and of course European car industry rides their high horse when it comes to pollution. And with the up and coming shut down of diesel traffic in many European cities - look where that took them!

In Europe if you ever see a car stranded with an open hood, you can bet it is a VAG product - either VW or an Audi. Their electronics and use of plastics is notorious. They even use plastic for the freakin`flywheel. And rust? I don`t even want to go there.

The make of car with the highest average age in Norway is Chevrolet at 26.9 years. Mercedes is number two at 12.9 years. Anything VW/Audi has been transformed to nails long time ago...and low quality nails too.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:

You want V12 power for $400K? Do you even have the money?

Btw, no I did not forget to read the rest of comments written (plus did not want to elaborate with personal examples but..) I own a 2010 Passat Wagon and drive it in the South, where it's hot. The car's dashboard has creaked/squeaked from week 2-3(bought new). It is the European Passat(75% parts from Germany, assembled in Emden). Wagons are immensely popular in Europe (7 out of 10 Passats sold in Germany are wagons), so due to my lifestyle, decided to buy 1. Not a good decision. I had the dealer change 5 dashboard panels but could not isolate the squeaks. Consumer Guide was spot on on their assessment of the vehicle's interior. Long story short, I had to remove many of the cheap plasticky panels by myself to apply double faced tape to make the creaking go away(not entirely). I've never done this with any car I have purchased, American or Japanese. So much about German quality.

To add insult to injury, the arm rest has developed ripples/bubbled up and have had issues from carbon build up(had to remove the intake to clean the carbon from the valves - look it up (VW's/Audi's develop this issue due to direct injection technology they use). So never again..

Not to mention when I swapped tires last month, an American mechanic, in lieu of the scandal, said to me VW cars are junk(and I defended them from day 1 to support my decision of buying one). So let's get real here. American cars are not what they used to be and the Germans have been cutting corners for quite some time. This scandal was to be expected.

The CTS-V is one of the finest sport sedans ever produced, definitely an M series killer.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/31/2...v-first-drive/

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/29/2...-drive-review/

The trucks produced in the US cannot be matched by the Germans, they are work horses, so ..

Also check this... (Venom GT engine made in the US). So much about the Veyron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWAavCjVQvM

I like how you never mention anything about Daimler's bribing?? Any questions?

Last edited by Trigger-f; 10-14-2015 at 08:17 AM..

Old 10-14-2015, 02:05 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,587 times
Oops!

VW has just revealed the existence of 2nd software in 2016 vehicles pulled from US certification, that could potentially also be classified as a defeat device. If it is, it will call into question some statements made by the company or executives recently.

ww.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/10/14/448634707/volkswagens-2016-diesel-cars-may-contain-new-suspect-emissions-software

More VW trouble: 2016 diesels have new suspect software
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe