Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 05:31 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicms View Post
Ok people, the drama won't last long because I really do have a lot of things in my mind right now far more important than this stupid argument that I don't even understand why it started in the first place x)
I'll only say that I do know you can party on the streets as well although this is not the point at all but whatever. When I was in Switzerland (and it's central europe) I'd party in the streets as well if I could, although most of the time was too cold to be there a long time anyway.

My point (before this whole argument started) was that people's spirit (again, in general) IS different. Social life works in a really different way. If I go to a party alone in Portugal, I'll leave surrounded with new friends. I went to a party alone in Switzerland and I'll say no one even saw me there xD
I'm not saying the WHOLE of Northern Europe is like Switzerland, but I do know that in general, it works in a smilar way (again, I have friends living in northern countries and my sister lived in Sweden). People in the south are much more open to new experiences and new friends and we're much more welcoming and you can say whatever you want about this, you still won't change my mind. There's a lot of foreigners coming here and saying the exact same thing. I know lots of friendly northern europeans, I'm not saying everyone is cold hearted and don't like to have fun... but, in general, it works this way.

Now, if your ofended because you see things diferently, that's really not my problem, especially when I'm called a "stereotype machine" by someone that just called southern women "cross-legged catholic princesses"... I mean, yeah x)
Putting 'party's' aside I think what people are just trying to tell you is that you just can't generalise about 200 million people like that, I know for a fact that people in the South are not more 'open to new experiences' they are not more 'welcoming', because of my job, because of my marriage and because of my family I know plenty of people from both North and South Europe, I know flamboyant Poles and introverted Italians, shy Spaniards and 'lush' Belgians, really people are individualistic wherever they hail from and even then there is an argument as to what is 'partying' a drug fuelled Briton raving the night away in a Manchester nightclub or a relaxed Greek sipping wine late at night in a restaurant? There is nothing wrong with 'stereotypes' and although I guess its not really a big deal you shouldn't really state them as facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 05:32 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Yes, those are the languages Finnish are closely or remotely related to.

Like:

Old 10-09-2015, 05:36 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,171 times
It's weird that they put Breton in a separate color but didn't even mention Alsatian... oh well, what do I know about local dialects.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:59 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
It's weird that they put Breton in a separate color but didn't even mention Alsatian... oh well, what do I know about local dialects.
Celtic languages have a different colour.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:46 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Putting 'party's' aside I think what people are just trying to tell you is that you just can't generalise about 200 million people like that, I know for a fact that people in the South are not more 'open to new experiences' they are not more 'welcoming', because of my job, because of my marriage and because of my family I know plenty of people from both North and South Europe, I know flamboyant Poles and introverted Italians, shy Spaniards and 'lush' Belgians, really people are individualistic wherever they hail from and even then there is an argument as to what is 'partying' a drug fuelled Briton raving the night away in a Manchester nightclub or a relaxed Greek sipping wine late at night in a restaurant? There is nothing wrong with 'stereotypes' and although I guess its not really a big deal you shouldn't really state them as facts.

I don't believe that is what she is intending to do, she isn't discussing how people behave on a one to one basis but rather in group settings. There is a significant difference in the dynamics of group gatherings based on culture, ethnicity. Some cultures are more inclusive of outsiders than others and regarding the Portuguese from my experiece one's mannerisms and social etiquete plays a larger role in whether one is welcomed than one's color or class abrasiveness isn't appreciated.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:00 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Celtic languages have a different colour.
Yes I know sorry didn't explain myself clearly - like always, I was just wondering why Alsatian wasn't there too, that's all. But I guess it has even less speakers than Breton, so it must be the explanation.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:34 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I don't believe that is what she is intending to do, she isn't discussing how people behave on a one to one basis but rather in group settings. There is a significant difference in the dynamics of group gatherings based on culture, ethnicity. Some cultures are more inclusive of outsiders than others and regarding the Portuguese from my experiece one's mannerisms and social etiquete plays a larger role in whether one is welcomed than one's color or class abrasiveness isn't appreciated.
Yes I can understand that, to a certain extend this is true, but what I am saying is that the 'Northern' nations are just as different to each other as they are to their 'Southern' neighbours, a swede may well be closer (culturally and dynamically) to a Spaniard than they are to say an Estonian. Europe has quite a few 'groupings' based on many different things ie weather (bearing in mind that the weather is very different between not just North and South but East to West, just for example Britain has a completely different weather type to Poland, Britain is a Maritime Cool Temperate climate and Poland is Continental type climate), ex communist, Scandinavian, British, Slavic, Western seaboard, terrain, heritage, history, ex Soviet etc etc and all of these things will have a bearing on the peoples and cultures its far more than just the latitude of a countries boarders.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:30 AM

50 posts, read 44,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Oh God, thank you!!
That's why I want to fly away to California xD

Old 10-09-2015, 10:49 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicms View Post
Oh God, thank you!!
That's why I want to fly away to California xD

You should despite some statistics I've seen posted on economic mobility in the USA in California if you have a strong work ethic, skills, education, and social skills you appear to have if you initially network within an existing Portuguese community on the west coast and build up your qualifications you will do well. We're well liked here.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:07 PM

319 posts, read 395,419 times
I recently saw this, I think it is in Sweden or Finland

It's true scandiavians like to keep their distance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe