Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 03:25 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,550 times

Advertisements

In this moment yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 10:41 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
that's the only reasonable response so far.

Some people don't realize how small population negatively affects everything, including quality of life. Countries like France should have twice the population it current does.
Exactly. This is why Bangladesh has such a high quality of life and Norway is a 3rd world sh-hole.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:53 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,563,083 times
Romania has 20 million on 240,000 sq km / 92,043 sq mi. There is a too big pressure of natural environment. I would like to be bellow 500,000.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:08 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Portugal's population is too small and needs to increase.
There are millions of Portuguese people living abroad don't you think if Portugal could support an additional 5 million people they would be currently living in Portugal. If Portugal could support a high standard of living for an additional 5 million people I think most would have remained.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:46 AM

212 posts, read 208,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Or is it the case that the urban areas are crowded but the rural areas are declining in population?

How Europe is slowly dying despite an increasing world population - Telegraph

Problem are not numbers, but age.
When I travel across the country, there are hundreds of towns inhabited by very old people.
Those towns do not have enough children to have schools, no bakeries, almost all shops are closed.
Sometimes, the town council of those towns grant jobs to unemployed with children so they can open schools, become a larger population and receive funds.
Internet, very specialized agriculture and rural tourism has returned some live, some people are returning.
English are doing a great job in some provinces, as they buy old farmhouses and rebuild them as they were before. Many even grow wine and do some agriculture. In the outback of the province of Tarragona, many old farmhouses (mas) are being bought and refurbished by English. They have an airport close by, Reus, and they can fly to London for almost nothing.
I don't know if they buy properties farther away from the Med...colder, but sunny and cheaper.

Last edited by pampliment; 10-06-2015 at 05:57 AM..

Old 10-06-2015, 07:35 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
We would be packed like sardins in there... France needs a little more babies but not that much I think. I can't even imagine my country filled with more than 120millions people
really?

France has only ONE large city, followed by a bunch of mid sized ones. Marseille, Lyon, Toulouse, Nice, Nantes, Strasbourg are all relatively small cities each can double or triple their population without any issue of overpopulation.

And I am not even talking about the countryside that have very few people.

France has 118 ppl/sq km, compared with 202 for Italy, 262 for the UK, and 407 for the Netherlands. France also has way higher % of habitable land than the latter two I think. The entire country has agreeable weather too.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:46 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,869,561 times
Default which empty spaces ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
Sure, we have nearly the same population as England but the country is a lot bigger -- France, make more babies, you need to fill all these empty spaces.
I don't see how France can be "empty" with 65 million people whereas in 1940 with 40 millions it was already full. Another case of skewed thinking. France should have way less population in my book.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post

I don't see how France can be "empty" with 65 million people whereas in 1940 with 40 millions it was already full. Another case of skewed thinking. France should have way less population in my book.
small population - small market, lack of labour, higher cost/prices, less innovation/ideas, less culture.

Do people all want to live in quiet and uneventful little village for the rest of their life? Not every city has to be as big and busy as Paris, but I am sure cities like Barcelona or Munich are not too hectic to handle. France has Paris and all the French towns.

I live in Canada and I wish it had 100 million people, instead of 35 million.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:01 AM

50 posts, read 45,045 times
Yes, here is overloaded population in Bangladesh.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajbir Lorriet View Post
Yes, here is overloaded population in Bangladesh.
Bangladesh is really one of the very few cases of real overpopulation. I can hardly think of another example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe