Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 04:02 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,607,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
We would be packed like sardins in there... France needs a little more babies but not that much I think. I can't even imagine my country filled with more than 120millions people
With 120 million inhabitants France would be still be less densely populated than Germany.
Paris would be more populated but most of this grow would favor the other cities like Lyon, Marseille, Toulouse, Bordeaux.
The country will not feel overcrowded but we would find more large cities and more places where important things are done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 05:25 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
I think parts of California are overpopulated I wish there were less people or at least less riff raff. I see no benefit to an increased population what I see is more pollution, property prices increase, more traffic, more homesless people and in general more people that don't contribute much.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:52 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
With 120 million inhabitants France would be still be less densely populated than Germany.
Paris would be more populated but most of this grow would favor the other cities like Lyon, Marseille, Toulouse, Bordeaux.
The country will not feel overcrowded but we would find more large cities and more places where important things are done.
Yeah alright okay... Germany less than 400 000 in area, France 551 -something... so sure it would still be less dense, I don't really see the point but well.
Also some people feel easily more opressed than others. I wouldn't like for Bordeaux to become a "mega city" or whatever, I think the charm of France also come from its many, many "small towns", maybe it's stupid I don't know but I don't think it would be a good idea. It's just my way of thinking.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:55 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Finland has pretty much exactly the same population as Singapore. Squeeze all Finns into Helsinki city limits, 3.5 times smaller than Singapore, and nobody would allowed to live outside Helsinki. Would Finland be a densely or sparsely poulated country?

Or put every single human being on this planet to stand beside each other and we all would fit standing on the surface of the 8 largest lakes in Finland. You'll even get some room for your elbows. If only Europe, we could all lie down on the ice of lake Inari and fit more than well.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:37 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I actually find the density of the Netherlands quite ok. Probably because I'm from an even denser country, living here, it actually feels quite spacious.
It's probably not good if you like nature though, I mean, it's really flat, so almost all land is habituated.
I agree it can feel spacious when you're out in the country here in the NL, but that's mostly due to very efficient building. In most cities a garden of 5 m x 8 m is considered big . I think that's crazy. People packed up like sardines in a can.

There's no real nature anymore. No matter were you go in all of the NL, you'll always see a house somewhere. You can go to the most desolated area and still everywhere you look there's buildings...

Old 10-06-2015, 10:50 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Finland has pretty much exactly the same population as Singapore. Squeeze all Finns into Helsinki city limits, 3.5 times smaller than Singapore, and nobody would allowed to live outside Helsinki. Would Finland be a densely or sparsely poulated country?

Or put every single human being on this planet to stand beside each other and we all would fit standing on the surface of the 8 largest lakes in Finland. You'll even get some room for your elbows. If only Europe, we could all lie down on the ice of lake Inari and fit more than well.
I think the ice would crack

That is a very strange example. I could probably say the same for the IJsselmeer. But that doesn't mean we can have more people 'cause they all would need houses, more infra structure, schools etc. etc.

If you like city life i can understand you'd like to see more population. Finland seems very empty, but that's just what i like about it, same as the other Nordic countries.
When we were in Sweden last year we once drove about 650 km from Värmland to Harjedalen and counted 15 cars exactly haha. That's exactly how I would like my country

I know economically it wouldn't be smart, but living in such a crowded country that was a very welcome change.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:40 AM

8,867 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
I agree it can feel spacious when you're out in the country here in the NL, but that's mostly due to very efficient building. In most cities a garden of 5 m x 8 m is considered big . I think that's crazy. People packed up like sardines in a can.

There's no real nature anymore. No matter were you go in all of the NL, you'll always see a house somewhere. You can go to the most desolated area and still everywhere you look there's buildings...
Well I'm actually staying in a city(a small one though) and it feels quite spacious, even in The Hague it doesn't feel that crowded to me. Amsterdam is quite crowded though, but if you leave the touristy area then it's also pretty ok.

It's not a fair comparison though as Asia is in a whole different league of dense.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:40 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,877,240 times
I'm dreaming of a devreasing humanity, and never mind if left-wing or right-wing reactionaries are schocked...

Old 10-07-2015, 05:59 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
Yeah alright okay... Germany less than 400 000 in area, France 551 -something... so sure it would still be less dense, I don't really see the point but well.
Also some people feel easily more opressed than others. I wouldn't like for Bordeaux to become a "mega city" or whatever, I think the charm of France also come from its many, many "small towns", maybe it's stupid I don't know but I don't think it would be a good idea. It's just my way of thinking.
France will still have many many small towns if it had 120 million. Probably more of them. Do you see Germany lack of small towns?
Apply some logic here please.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:07 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
France will still have many many small towns if it had 120 million. Probably more of them. Do you see Germany lack of small towns?
Apply some logic here please.
Put it simply -- I don't speak English okay, I'm trying, I didn't explained myself correctly and the only thing you say is apply some logic here please ? How old are you ? You didn't get what I was trying to say, and I don't even think you tried in fact.
Whatever, you're a desagreeable person, leave me alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe