Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 12:46 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,409,388 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a trip somewhere in Southern Europe Oct 15th to Oct 30th. When I travel I like to explore, history, architecture, interesting cities, beautiful surroundings, etc...the normal stuff. I'm trying to choose between the Lisbon area, Andalusia area of Spain + Madrid maybe (already been to Barcelona), Sicily, or Greece (more mainland Greece probably ...maybe Peloponnese?). I might be able to combine two countries if I get ambitions. I think all should have similar type weather in late October? Anyone on the forum have favorites of these choices and why? Suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 03:02 PM

Leaning towards doing the Lisbon area + Madrid and some parts of Southern Spain. Really curious if anyone on the forum has been to all 4 places (Portugal, Spain, Sicily and Greece) and can give me their opinions. All four sound great so it's a difficult choice.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:29 PM

9,366 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Leaning towards doing the Lisbon area + Madrid and some parts of Southern Spain. Really curious if anyone on the forum has been to all 4 places (Portugal, Spain, Sicily and Greece) and can give me their opinions. All four sound great so it's a difficult choice.
I have lived and/or travelled extensively in all four. If the purpose is tourism for history, architecture and beautiful surroundings, then you can't go wrong with any of them, but personally I would give the edge to Sicily.

My biggest concern would be the rainy season: for example, the western portions of Portugal and Greece, maybe parts of Sicily, could be subject to heavy rains and humidity, but very unlikely frigid temperatures in October, except in very high elevations.

Other than that, you can't lose.

Enjoy!

Old 10-07-2015, 11:33 PM

749 posts, read 856,246 times
It depends, what do you like to see/do? Is warmer weather your main motivation for your trip?

Old 10-08-2015, 12:10 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
The south of France.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:12 AM

502 posts, read 655,194 times
all of them are great places to visit.

regarding weather, it will be considerably colder in madrid and central spain than in all the other places

Old 10-08-2015, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I have lived and/or travelled extensively in all four. If the purpose is tourism for history, architecture and beautiful surroundings, then you can't go wrong with any of them, but personally I would give the edge to Sicily.

My biggest concern would be the rainy season: for example, the western portions of Portugal and Greece, maybe parts of Sicily, could be subject to heavy rains and humidity, but very unlikely frigid temperatures in October, except in very high elevations.

Other than that, you can't lose.

Enjoy!
First of all, thanks everyone for their input and help Would Lisbon be included in that chance of heavy rains Oct 15-30th? I'm guessing the very South of Spain might have the best weather? I'm kind of learning towards Portugal and Andalusia. I was in Italy last year (but not Sicily), and really love Italy and am very intrigued by Sicily. I have not been to Greece since 1996 and that was the islands. I have heard good things about the Peloponnese (Monemvasia, etc..). I think I may need a car rental more in Sicily & Greece than Spain and Portugal though.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The south of France.
I have heard great things about the South of France and have not been there, I should consider that too.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
It depends, what do you like to see/do? Is warmer weather your main motivation for your trip?
Good weather would be a nice benefit of course. I checked the median October temps in all the areas, most seem to have day time averages in the high 60's and low 70's with decent sun, Seville area and south of there seems the warmest, Lisbon too.

What I like to do on vacation is just generally explore....walk towns and cities, history & art museums, restaurants, architecture, nice scenery, cafes.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:50 AM

Considering the time frame of travel Oct 15-Oct 30th, what would you say is the most and least touristy out of the following:
-Andalusia area of Spain
-Lisbon
-Mainland Greece
-Sicily
-South of France
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe