Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 10:24 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,826,588 times

Advertisements

How do the Canary Islands, Ceuta, and Melilla compare with mainland Spain in terms of wealth, employment, accent, etc? How do Madeira and the Azores compare with mainland Portugal in terms of wealth, employment, accent, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 10:44 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,963,757 times
I can speak for the Canaries since I've been there before. They are just as wealthy as the mainland, and goods are not so expensive like the mainland US and Hawaii. But, unemployment in the Canaries is one of the highest in Spain, and the economy is dependent on tourism and agriculture for the most part. The Canary accent is almost the same as the Spanish spoken in Puerto Rico and Cuba, as Canarians migrated to these islands in very large numbers when they were part of Spain. My accent was almost indistinguishable when I visited, the locals thought I was from the Canary Islands.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I can speak for the Canaries since I've been there before. They are just as wealthy as the mainland, and goods are not so expensive like the mainland US and Hawaii. But, unemployment in the Canaries is one of the highest in Spain, and the economy is dependent on tourism and agriculture for the most part. The Canary accent is almost the same as the Spanish spoken in Puerto Rico and Cuba, as Canarians migrated to these islands in very large numbers when they were part of Spain. My accent was almost indistinguishable when I visited, the locals thought I was from the Canary Islands.

Where are you from?

Old 11-03-2015, 11:07 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,913,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
How do the Canary Islands, Ceuta, and Melilla compare with mainland Spain in terms of wealth, employment, accent, etc? How do Madeira and the Azores compare with mainland Portugal in terms of wealth, employment, accent, etc?

The Azores and Madeira aren't overseas possessions of Portugal they are automonous regions and fully integrated culturally this islands were uninhabited until settle by the Portuguese unlike the Canary islands, Ceuta and Melilla. The accent in the Azores varies tremendously from island to island even within each island and even within Madeira there are significant variantions in accent with some hamlets retaining some archaic expressions and phoenetics from the 15th -16th century. The madeiran economy is heavily dependent on tourism whereas in the Azores moreso on agriculture. I can tell you that before the Azores became an automous region in the 1970's islanders did not think of themselves as Azoreans they identified first with their island and then with being Portuguese but not as a region. Regarding finding a job nepotism is the rule of the game.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycow View Post
As to unbrainwashed

Yes, economy is poorer is the CI, lots of unemplyment and some housing is awful, plus the price of water..higher that the price of wine on the peninsula...and all the foodstuffs had to be brought.

Maybe they can build a desalination plant to provide fresh water.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:37 AM

I remember reading articles about the Canary Islands in National Geographic Magazines from the 1950s and 1960s. It showed colorful pictures of people wearing traditional costumes, festivals with religious art made from flowers and colored salt decorating the streets, and women sorting tomatoes.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:44 AM

440 posts, read 663,079 times
The areas mentioned aren't really "overseas possessions". They are integral part of Spain and Portugal. Much like Hawaii and Alaska within the US. For example, they don't have seperate internet codes and are not listed seperately like Pureto Rico, Guam, Northern Marianas, American Samoa, French Polynesia, New Caledonia, Isle of Man, Bermuda, Gibraltar, Falkland Islands......

Macau, East Timor ,Portuguese India, Angola and Mozambique were considered more like "overseas possessions", all are no longer owned by Portugal in this century.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The Azores and Madeira aren't overseas possessions of Portugal they are automonous regions and fully integrated culturally this islands were uninhabited until settle by the Portuguese unlike the Canary islands, Ceuta and Melilla..

Old 11-03-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycow View Post
They have many, I believe that Spain is leader in the sector. But the water is expensive. Most of the water is subterranean and tourism and agriculture..bananas..draws a lot.

Living in paradise isn't easy - or cheap.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:01 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,129,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Maybe they can build a desalination plant to provide fresh water.
They're expensive. Some years ago the EU invested in desalination plants for Spain, but they couldn't finish building all of the plants that they intended to build, and what do you know, they asked for more money from the EU.
And the funny thing is, the ones they did build weren't even running at full capacity.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:46 AM

4 posts, read 3,493 times
Mouldy Ild, living in those places is not expensive..but they cost a fortune for the "Metropolis".

Not as much as UK pays for Gibraltar, but lots of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe