Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 05:52 AM

3,983 posts, read 6,791,114 times

Advertisements

Just one more thread about a subject that atracts my curiosity...

Do the Christian immigrants from the Middle East adapt and integrate into European society easily?

By "Middle East" I mean Egypt too, where there are millions of Christian copts.

How Christian immigrants from Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, are perceived by "natives" in Europe?

Do they face the same problems to integrate as Muslim immigrants? Or is it much easier for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 05:56 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
I don't know because i never met a Christian Arab in Europe.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:04 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Not sure about Europe, but in the USA there assimilate as well as European immigrants. The former governor of my state (Indiana) is half Syrian Christian and half White American, Mitch Daniels (actually Esau, his father changed their name). Steve Jobs was 100% Syrian and raised by a secular American family, he did ok. There is an American Football quarterback named Johnny Manziel who is of Syrian Christian ancestry. He's a goof ball but not a terror threat... unless you're a Cleveland Browns fan.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I don't know because i never met a Christian Arab in Europe.

Maybe they integrate so well that it's impossible to recognize them unless you know they are from Middle East?

Old 12-03-2015, 06:58 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Latin America has a large population of Christian Arab immigrants, one of their descendants including among the richest men in the world and several former political leaders.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Not sure about Europe, but in the USA there assimilate as well as European immigrants. The former governor of my state (Indiana) is half Syrian Christian and half White American, Mitch Daniels (actually Esau, his father changed their name). Steve Jobs was 100% Syrian and raised by a secular American family, he did ok. There is an American Football quarterback named Johnny Manziel who is of Syrian Christian ancestry. He's a goof ball but not a terror threat... unless you're a Cleveland Browns fan.
Here's a Christian Arab immigrant to the US:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirhan_Sirhan

Old 12-03-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Latin America has a large population of Christian Arab immigrants, one of their descendants including among the richest men in the world and several former political leaders.

Here in Brazil, many of the richest people in the country, and many of the most important politicians, are descendants of Christian Arab immigrants. For example: the governor of the State of Sao Paulo, and the mayor of the city of Sao Paulo (and they are from rival political parties).

The city of Fortaleza were I live is no exception. Some of the richest families here are from Christian Arab origin. In the case of the Jereissati family they are both rich and powerful in politics, since Tasso Jeireissati is a very rich businessman and was a governor of the state of Ceara and is now a senator representing the state.

Christian Arabs integrated very well into Brazilian society. And it's impossible to tell if a person in Brazil is a descendant of Christian Arabs or not, if you don't know the surname of that person is of Arab origin.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:22 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
I knew or know Christian Arabs in Canada, US, and South America, and they all do well. I read in a history that many of them came to South America with the fall of the Ottoman Empire, and probably to North America too, in Canada I personally knew a handful of them who came during the Lebanese civil war in the 1970s-1980s. The biggest Coptic studies center in the world is in Los Angeles, I believe.

For at least over the past two hundred years or so, it seems that western European intervention in the eastern Mediterranean has been deadly dangerous for Christians. So why would they go to Europe?

Old 12-04-2015, 01:54 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
While not Arabs, Armenians and Assyrians have certainly adapted to their new environments here in the US.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:31 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Here's a Christian Arab immigrant to the US:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirhan_Sirhan
He was brainwashed by European Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe