Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 06:57 PM

342 posts, read 438,081 times

Advertisements

In Russia and Ukraine lunch time is around 1 to 3 pm, much later than in the US. Banks and retail are closed "for lunch". So it is not good idea to try to have things done around that time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 07:59 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
I'm still curious as to how some Europeans define "breakfast". According to one of the posters, eggs aren't breakfast. And while we're on that topic, I've always wondered about the so-called continental breakfasts. Do people in Europe really eat a roll and jam and coffee for breakfast on a regular basis? I have my doubts. Why do they call it a "continental breakfast", then? On whose continent do people eat that way for breakfast? lol
Definitely. Cold cuts, cheese, bread, yoghurt and cereal are the most common. Usually coffee is the only hot thing on the table.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:40 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,948 times
Quote:
I'm still curious as to how some Europeans define "breakfast". According to one of the posters, eggs aren't breakfast. And while we're on that topic, I've always wondered about the so-called continental breakfasts. Do people in Europe really eat a roll and jam and coffee for breakfast on a regular basis? I have my doubts. Why do they call it a "continental breakfast", then? On whose continent do people eat that way for breakfast? lol

My experiences eating breakfast out in Western Europe:

Spain, Italy, France: Usually a carbohydrate (croissant, pan, churros, roll, etc.) + caffeine (coffee mostly, but tea is offered and thick hot chocolate in Spain to go with the churros) +/- juice in touristy areas. This is eaten early in the morning as a quick bite (usually standing at the counter at cafes or on the go before work/school). The "real" breakfast is usually eaten a couple of hours later and is more substantial, often involving protein.

UK, Germany, Ireland, Dutch Belgium: It's usually heartier: Carb (beans, bread, cereal/oatmeal) + protein (eggs, cooked meats or cold-cuts, dairy like cheese or yogurt) + caffeine +/- juice. Oh, and in the UK : a fruit (or veg depending on definition) in half of a fried tomato in the full brekkie.

Crete: Not sure what the locals normally eat because we stayed in an all-inclusive resort that had a breakfast buffet catering to all nationalities. I'm guessing carb + caffeine?

Off-topic, but my favorite breakfast was a buffet in a small business hotel in a commuter town in Japan: Hot soup, pickled and fresh veggies, rice, meats/fish, fruit, tea --- the whole shebang!

(Sometimes reading the posts on this forum is, ahem...interesting.)

Last edited by mingna; 02-11-2016 at 10:48 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 11:13 AM

400 posts, read 422,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No, you did no, but most Americans still think that the US has hundreds of thousands of troops in Europe, while the European nations have "dismantled" their Armed Forces. None of this is true. The argument "the US protects" Europe is just a false smoke-screen used as a reason for keeping the US military budget high and in support of the military-industrial complex.
Bingo !!

I was about to chime in but you beat me to it. It is kind of amusing to hear american media parrot the view that their military involvement in other areas of the world is done as almost a 'favour' to them...(lol..). The US military presence overseas isn't even paid out of the budget; it's actually even financed by the host country's citizens via a rather arcane financial manoeuvring that I won't bore anyone with here.

The military industrial complex pays really REALLY well; I doubt they will relinquish the gravy train anytime soon.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:04 PM

964 posts, read 994,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
My experiences eating breakfast out in Western Europe:

Spain, Italy, France: Usually a carbohydrate (croissant, pan, churros, roll, etc.) + caffeine (coffee mostly, but tea is offered and thick hot chocolate in Spain to go with the churros) +/- juice in touristy areas. This is eaten early in the morning as a quick bite (usually standing at the counter at cafes or on the go before work/school). The "real" breakfast is usually eaten a couple of hours later and is more substantial, often involving protein.
How is that done? A hearty breakfast two hours after going to work or school? Is there a morning break at work that's long enough to enjoy a more solid breakfast? This would explain the concept of "continental breakfast", though; it's not intended to be a "real" breakfast (which comes later), but just a quick, early morning pick-me-up sort of thing.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:06 PM

964 posts, read 994,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Definitely. Cold cuts, cheese, bread, yoghurt and cereal are the most common. Usually coffee is the only hot thing on the table.
This makes sense, and is a solid, healthy breakfast. I take it this isn't included in the definition of "continental breakfast", which, as presented in the US, is more of a light snack, just bread and jam with coffee.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:06 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
I endorse the 'Danish breakfast'. A pint of strong lager and a few cigarettes.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:20 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,114 times
Quote:
This makes sense, and is a solid, healthy breakfast. I take it this isn't included in the definition of "continental breakfast", which, as presented in the US, is more of a light snack, just bread and jam with coffee.

Not sure what "continental breakfast" means or what Americans mean by this.
Breakfast in Germany seems very similar to the breakfast in Finland.
Brötchen (rolls) and or bread, sometimes croissants instead of Brötchen, but I prefer Brötchen. Margarine or butter. Cold cuts, cheeses, jam, Nutella . Yogurt, muesli or cornflakes with milk (I prefer muesli). Coffee, tea, milk or juices. Boiled eggs are more common on weekends. Not sure why, maybe lack of time. At weekends a breakfast can take two hours or longer.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:27 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Not sure what "continental breakfast" means or what Americans mean by this.
Breakfast in Germany seems very similar to the breakfast in Finland.
Brötchen (rolls) and or bread, sometimes croissants instead of Brötchen, but I prefer Brötchen. Margarine or butter. Cold cuts, cheeses, jam, Nutella . Yogurt, muesli or cornflakes with milk (I prefer muesli). Coffee, tea, milk or juices. Boiled eggs are more common on weekends. Not sure why, maybe lack of time. At weekends a breakfast can take two hours or longer.
^^^^ This

Old 02-11-2016, 02:37 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,114 times
German breakfasts in hotels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk0BHiQqNS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_aN79Eb1Ow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe