Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:29 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,978 times

Advertisements

I caught your bit on being a larger nation, all I stated was it's debt to GDP is average for it's peer group, nothing compared to the list. I posted that the US was 11 on the the list. I'm not sure what I did wrong here. You need to reread.

I don't get your last point on being the last person. What is with you? I didn't bring any of this up. Lighten up.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 01-31-2016 at 08:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 12:05 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,239,218 times
Good article
https://consortiumnews.com/2016/01/2...-on-the-world/

Old 02-01-2016, 03:58 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,890,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Really? I'm a non-American and non-Russian too.
What citizenship do you claim that allows you this magical gift of "impartiality"?

This should be good, especially because you already lied about what happened in Ukraine, delusionally claiming that the U.S. somehow caused the Ukranian revolution, a claim which is only made by the Kremlin and no one else in the world. Very impartial of you, to exactly parrot the Kremlin propaganda![/quote]
Please point out exactly where I said that the Ukrainian 'revolution' was caused by the US or where I even mentioned Ukraine, please go on.

Quote:
LOL! So a discussion of Russia, according to you, should not involve any discussion of Russian domestic or foreign policy, but rather should focus on American domestic and foreign policy?
lol
It's just you that can't even debate an argument with facts: if Russia invades somebody it's bad, if the US do the same then it's right and it should not be mentioned
Without forgetting that once again you ignored two fundamental aspects of the current economic trend in the world:
1) the fracking and oil crisis which affect Russian and the US and all the consequences of Saudi weakness in the ME
2) the fact that the same model the US are based on, i.e. 'infinite growth, is baseless and without common sense

Last edited by Rozenn; 02-01-2016 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 02-01-2016, 09:15 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
Not as long as Putin remains in power, and not as long as Russia is invading neighboring countries.

Russia will remain an isolated global pariah, and an economic basket case, until Putin is removed and the foreign invasions end. And we all know Putin is dictator for life, so probably the only way to remove Putin is to have someone on the inside execute him.
Russia is a democracy although a flawed one. It's possible for the opposition to win but not at the moment given that it isn't united enough ranging from the far left (second largest party) to the far right (third largest party) and that the government has a large approval amongst the masses. The problem is that Putin's looks the most moderate party on several issues and that there isn't true alternative to him, i think there's a void to be filled as there is no moderate center left party in the country

Old 02-01-2016, 09:49 AM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Russia is a democracy although a flawed one. It's possible for the opposition to win but not at the moment given that it isn't united enough ranging from the far left (second largest party) to the far right (third largest party) and that the government has a large approval amongst the masses. The problem is that Putin's looks the most moderate party on several issues and that there isn't true alternative to him, i think there's a void to be filled as there is no moderate center left party in the country
This is a very good observation Improb.
The major opposition to Putin represents the force that is as "right" as he is, and that's why it has neither demand nor popularity among the general Russian population.
The Communist party is not considered an "opposition" since it seats in Duma and basically cooperates with Putin.
The far left opposition ( well the leader of it, Segey Udaltsov) is simply thrown in prison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Udaltsov

The NazBols ( National Bolsheviks) party is banned, not to mention that Eduard Limonov, its former leader is gay and I don't see gay people as being successful in Russian politics - I mean I don't see such possibility, taking in consideration the peculiarities of Russian culture.

The "moderate left" niche was taken by the Yabloko party in the past, but in spite of all my respect to Grigoriy Yavlinsky, one of its founders back in the day, he dug his own grave - for himself and his party. Being a good economist, he is very weak and unwise as a politician I have to admit.
So even in the light of everything I listed here, it becomes obvious why the majority of Russians still vote for Putin.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
This is a very good observation Improb.
The major opposition to Putin represents the force that is as "right" as he is, and that's why it has neither demand nor popularity among the general Russian population.
The Communist party is not considered an "opposition" since it seats in Duma and basically cooperates with Putin.
The far left opposition ( well the leader of it, Segey Udaltsov) is simply thrown in prison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Udaltsov

The NazBols ( National Bolsheviks) party is banned, not to mention that Eduard Limonov, its former leader is gay and I don't see gay people as being successful in Russian politics - I mean I don't see such possibility, taking in consideration the peculiarities of Russian culture.

The "moderate left" niche was taken by the Yabloko party in the past, but in spite of all my respect to Grigoriy Yavlinsky, one of its founders back in the day, he dug his own grave - for himself and his party. Being a good economist, he is very weak and unwise as a politician I have to admit.
So even in the light of everything I listed here, it becomes obvious why the majority of Russians still vote for Putin.
It seems to me that the major opposition made up by Zhirinovski is further right
Shouldn't Udaltsov come out of prison soon, i have seen in the wikipedia article that he's been sentenced to 4 and a half years and that his condemn started in 2012? Anyway, i still can't see anyone dethroning Putin soon.

I have got a question for you: who is the most likely party or men to take Putin's place and will he ever retire out of politics or will it death for it to happen?

Old 02-01-2016, 10:03 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Russia is a democracy although a flawed one.
No, it isn't a democracy. You need a free press and free vote, you need independent institutions, you need checks and balances. Russia has none of this.

Russia is a classic dictatorship, with a presumed leader for life based on a cult of personality.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:17 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,620,890 times
Re: 'The major opposition to Putin represents the force that is as "right" as he is, and that's why it has neither demand nor popularity among the general Russian population.
The far left opposition ( well the leader of it, Segey Udaltsov) is simply thrown in prison'

Could this change? I don't think so. I think Vlad is ' happy as Larry' on how the lineup is going. You don't change it when things are going as well as they can .....provided there are no 'shocks' to the system. His 'hitters' are hitting and that's what counts in Russian politics.

As for Vlad you can be sure he's got the dossier being filled on 'Donnie'. KGB fellows ALWAYS
want to know and understand their adversary or potential adversary. Not say Donnie and Vlad will be partying but hey at times you never know where the votes can go! And who knows one day Donnie may take Vlad down Central Park West to take a look-see on duplexes or triplexes!
For Vlad's broker: the views are fabulous from CPK.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
No, it isn't a democracy. You need a free press and free vote, you need independent institutions, you need checks and balances. Russia has none of this.

Russia is a classic dictatorship, with a presumed leader for life based on a cult of personality.
Did you miss the word flawed? There can be ways in between, Russia doesn't have a completely free press as there seem to be restrictions on several blogs, newspapers, ecc. but there seems to be a fair electoral system as every citizen is free to vote for whoever he/she wants and i could go on and on

Russia isn't Sweden but it isn't North Korea either

Old 02-01-2016, 11:06 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,239,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yesterday Limonov saying something at a rally in Moscow.
Вчера мы успешно выполнили наш долг перед Отечеством - Ð*дуард Лимонов

+Old fart ("Old fart" in good way) sometimes gives the heat in his blog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe