Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 11:07 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,449,948 times

Advertisements

I remember the first time I went to Russia in 1994, it was pretty bad for the people then. I saw a lot of poverty and my host and his wife were barely making it. She taught cold and often hungry children in a unheated school building and hadn't been paid in months. The husband worked at the metro yards and got about $150 a month and spent a lot of time doing odd jobs to make ends meet.

Over the years Russia changed. The same 2 people I knew in 1994 now live in Belgorod. They own a small chicken ranch that is run by the wife and children while the husband is a paramedic/fireman. Awhile back the wife was pissed off because she wanted a BMW but had to settle for a new Skoda and an automated chicken feeding system.

Russians are many things but stupid isn't one of them. Regardless of what some in the west would have you believe.

Russia will feel pain from the sanctions and are currently doing so but they have not been asleep at the wheel these last few decades. They have diversified and corrected many problems and continue to do so. Russia and Russians are going to be around for a long time to come and the policies of the west only deprive the people of the west from all of the potential Russia holds.

The politicians of the west fear Russia and its potential. That's why the lies flow so freely on this subject and the ignorance of the people of the west are what enables these lies to have meaning at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 12:17 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,620,890 times
Re: ' Russia and Russians are going to be around for a long time to come and the policies of the west only deprive the people of the west from all of the potential Russia holds'

Ever hear of 'zapadophobia'? I think Russia certainly has more of a tinge of that. The paranoia on that score is ever present in US-Russian relations. If there is 'potential' in Russia I am afraid I don't see how Putin's country can develop it. He runs a tight ship kids. A tight ship. Looking back on his clip of the Zcrinea I'm afraid it's a great fail in the annals of diplomacy and state relations. Putin destroyed much with that move and started a whole course of of a different attitude to him and his country. That 'nationalism' card he played was an egregious mistake for Russia and Europe. We still haven't seen the end of that play.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:31 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,025,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: ' Russia and Russians are going to be around for a long time to come and the policies of the west only deprive the people of the west from all of the potential Russia holds'

Ever hear of 'zapadophobia'? .
A bit unrelated to the topic but:

If I am not mistaken the word "zapadophobia" should mean in most Slavic languages: "Fear of the West" but also: "Fear of Decline". In Bulgarian at least "zapad" means both West and Decline. I guess the communists were trying to say "Западът Запада" = "The West is falling", sentence which makes perfect sense at least in bulgarian).

Old 01-24-2016, 12:49 PM

191 posts, read 167,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No, quite the contrary. Russians (like the Turks) are usually unable to say anything negative about their country. You should side with the non-Russian comments.
If you mean that the Turkish government doesn't allow its citizens to say negative things about their country or government, then you are absolutely correct. If you mean that Turks don't say bad things about their country/government, you've missed a lot of news coming out of Turkey over the past few years.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:33 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,620,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean.

I was mainly saying peace in the sense that peace should be the end goal of both Russia and the US
and when the peace was not the ultimate goal for Russia?

Old 01-24-2016, 01:43 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,620,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I remember the first time I went to Russia in 1994, it was pretty bad for the people then. I saw a lot of poverty and my host and his wife were barely making it. She taught cold and often hungry children in a unheated school building and hadn't been paid in months. The husband worked at the metro yards and got about $150 a month and spent a lot of time doing odd jobs to make ends meet.

Over the years Russia changed. The same 2 people I knew in 1994 now live in Belgorod. They own a small chicken ranch that is run by the wife and children while the husband is a paramedic/fireman. Awhile back the wife was pissed off because she wanted a BMW but had to settle for a new Skoda and an automated chicken feeding system.

Russians are many things but stupid isn't one of them. Regardless of what some in the west would have you believe.

Russia will feel pain from the sanctions and are currently doing so but they have not been asleep at the wheel these last few decades. They have diversified and corrected many problems and continue to do so. Russia and Russians are going to be around for a long time to come and the policies of the west only deprive the people of the west from all of the potential Russia holds.

The politicians of the west fear Russia and its potential. That's why the lies flow so freely on this subject and the ignorance of the people of the west are what enables these lies to have meaning at all.
you laugh? Putin has destroyed? Putin could not stop and move to the East? Putin creates cvetnve revolution in the former Soviet Union? Putin creates missile bases around Russia and China? Putin creates plans to dismember Russia? your ramblings of the cold war.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:48 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
you laugh? Putin has destroyed? Putin could not stop and move to the East? Putin creates cvetnve revolution in the former Soviet Union? Putin creates missile bases around Russia and China? Putin creates plans to dismember Russia? your ramblings of the cold war.
You are quoting the wrong post)))

Old 01-24-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
A bit unrelated to the topic but:

If I am not mistaken the word "zapadophobia" should mean in most Slavic languages: "Fear of the West" but also: "Fear of Decline". In Bulgarian at least "zapad" means both West and Decline. I guess the communists were trying to say "Западът Запада" = "The West is falling", sentence which makes perfect sense at least in bulgarian).
"Запад" is the "West" in Russian.
Bulgarian "запад" ( the second meaning of this word) is "падение" in Russian. ( "падать" - to fall. )
As you can see the words are different, but of the same root

Old 01-24-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean.

I was mainly saying peace in the sense that peace should be the end goal of both Russia and the US
See, the problem is, everyone wants peace, ( at least they claim so.) The problem is that they want it on their own conditions.

( I believe that the Bible was saying something like that.)

Old 01-24-2016, 01:59 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
See, the problem is, everyone wants peace, ( at least they claim so.) The problem is that they want it on their own conditions.

( I believe that the Bible was saying something like that.)
that was the point I was trying to make
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe