Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 01:17 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
You should stop, it is unhealthy
I know, I know. And this country is so hostile to smoking that I'm almost a terrorist. And I'm beginning to reach the age that I really have to start to thing about my health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 04:24 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,409 times
I think smoking is a bit old fashioned... I am not sure if it is still considered cool among teenagers. Or young women.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:12 AM

426 posts, read 394,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Haven't seen any difference in smoking patterns.

I see many people smoking haschisch, as people mix haschisch with winston or marlboro comsumption per capita may arise.

I do not think that patterns are different, but as tobacco laws in Spain are one of the most restrictive in the world smokers were ousted from restaurants, bars, offices, hospitals...and they are forced to smoke outside or in terraces.

It well might be that tourist visiting any Spanish city might be surprised to see terraces packed with people smoking, or just little groups of people smoking outside every office or premise as if they were "conspirators".

Price for tobacco in Andorra, Gibraltar, etc, is very low, but custom controls are exasperating.

Last edited by Krokodill; 01-27-2016 at 05:54 AM..

Old 01-27-2016, 08:00 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I know, I know. And this country is so hostile to smoking that I'm almost a terrorist. And I'm beginning to reach the age that I really have to start to thing about my health.
I am surprised. When I visited in 2011, Helsinki was very clean. But a glaring exception was cigarette butts. I remember a cobblestone square not too far from the Parliament was so full of white cigarette stubs wedged between the stones and hence not easily removable. I thought that quite a number of Finns must be smokers for so many cigarette ends to pile up there.

Things must be changing since then.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:03 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,285 times
Because they`re hot?

Old 01-27-2016, 08:15 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
I am surprised. When I visited in 2011, Helsinki was very clean. But a glaring exception was cigarette butts. I remember a cobblestone square not too far from the Parliament was so full of white cigarette stubs wedged between the stones and hence not easily removable. I thought that quite a number of Finns must be smokers for so many cigarette ends to pile up there.

Things must be changing since then.
No no, it's still the same. We just throw the butts on the streets and not into the rubbish bin. It was actually encouraged for long as the bins sometimes caught on fire. Nowadays we have those fireproof cylinders in some places meant for butts, but few actually use them. Myself I never litter otherwise but my cigarette butts go on the street.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:19 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodill View Post
Maybe the statitiscs are so high because of tourists, since tobacco in Spain is cheap compared to neighbouring countries some may hoard cigarrete packs.

For example, in Norway a box costs 10€ and 9€ in UK, while in Spain is 4€ or so.

More so if you buy it duty free.

I am just talking out of total ignorance since I do not smoke.

Spain received some 60 million tourists, many from those countries.
I do not think so. The majority of Norwegian smokers buy their tobacco in Sweden, Denmark or at Oslo Airport. A pack of Prince, the most popular brand, costs €4.6 at the airport.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:41 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,171,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Because they`re hot?
i gave up cigarettes for my new years resolution, but i did not give up smoking...

Old 01-30-2016, 09:58 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,440,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
Here on holiday - wonderful country, wonderful food - but it seems that half the women I see in Spain are smokers. It's like the reverse of China - where most of the men smoke. Anyone have an insight as to why this might be?
China and Spain are two different countries on two different continent as well two very different people! That explains it.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:04 AM

426 posts, read 394,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I do not think so. The majority of Norwegian smokers buy their tobacco in Sweden, Denmark or at Oslo Airport. A pack of Prince, the most popular brand, costs €4.6 at the airport.

But here you have some American tourists saying that women in Spain smoke in an unproportionate manner.

Most of the people American tourists see in Spain are tourists, more so American tourists that only visit places visited by other American tourists.

Very gregarious people, they only visit places recommended to them in guides or internet. What that tourist was saying is that women staying at the terrace of that American cafeteria, Rock Cafe? are heavy smokers, or women staying outside some terrace of some Mcrat are heavy smokers...which are probably his fellow Americans.

The only people that are more gregarious than Americans are Japanese.

And how in the name of god he knows those girls are Spanish, in a country visited by 67 million tourists that visit only 4 percent of Spain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe