Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 06:20 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times

Advertisements

Thanks! I really do appreciate your perspective, especially knowing now that you love London and find Madrid a suitable affordable alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 01:25 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Madrid, above all, because I have friends here, and I've visited here several times before. I also really enjoy the size and variety things to do in this place. I'm in my 20's so I wanted to live in a massive city after being on the Big Island for a few years, and I wanted to be near a major international airport. Everyone always asks "Why not Barcelona." First off, one of my main priorities while living here is improving my Spanish. I have no interest in learning Catalan, the most utilized language in Barcelona, and I feel like Madrid has a lot more to offer after the initial honeymoon period wares off, it is the capital after all. While Madrid and Barcelona are the most expensive cities in Spain, I can still live here for a fraction of what it would cost in a similarly sized American city. I do really enjoy Sevilla though, maybe I'll go there next.

Sidenote: It's very easy to find people who want to learn or practice their English and "trade" speaking sessions. English lessons aren't cheap here, so it's a mutually beneficial situation, and an easy way to meet people. Two beers- English during the first one and Spanish during the second one.
Catalan is not the most used language in Barcelona. Spanish is. Barcelona has a lot of immigrants and tourists, plus people from other parts of Spain. So they speak SPANISH there primarily.

Now in some of the small town in Catalonia Catalan might be the primary language. But Barcelona? No.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:23 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,607,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Catalan is not the most used language in Barcelona. Spanish is. Barcelona has a lot of immigrants and tourists, plus people from other parts of Spain. So they speak SPANISH there primarily.

Now in some of the small town in Catalonia Catalan might be the primary language. But Barcelona? No.
Thanks, but my main concern was not being spoken to in Spanish, in part due to the catalan situation, in part due to the insane amounts of tourists there. Additionally, I feel as though it would be harder to blend in and distinguish myself from the tourists or "temporary expats," as I plan to stay in Spain long-term. Sure, maybe I'll never be seen as a true Spaniard, but I am looking to be seen as someone who is serious about being here and being a part of this country and culture, not just another guiri trying to have his fun and then leave. Aside from me flat out liking Madrid more as a city, it just feels more Spanish to me than Barcelona. Some people are Barcelona people, some people are Madrid people. Just like some people are LA people and some are SFO people.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Thanks, but my main concern was not being spoken to in Spanish, in part due to the catalan situation, in part due to the insane amounts of tourists there. Additionally, I feel as though it would be harder to blend in and distinguish myself from the tourists or "temporary expats," as I plan to stay in Spain long-term. Sure, maybe I'll never be seen as a true Spaniard, but I am looking to be seen as someone who is serious about being here and being a part of this country and culture, not just another guiri trying to have his fun and then leave. Aside from me flat out liking Madrid more as a city, it just feels more Spanish to me than Barcelona. Some people are Barcelona people, some people are Madrid people. Just like some people are LA people and some are SFO people.
No one would speak to a foreigner in Catalan, because nobody outside Catalonia speaks it. There’s nothing wrong with prefering Madrid, but that doesn’t mean you should lie about Barcelona!

Old 10-09-2018, 06:55 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,607,146 times
Quote:
There’s nothing wrong with prefering Madrid, but that doesn’t mean you should lie about Barcelona!
Ok, no need for that. I was simply stating my reasons for preferring Madrid, and the large amount of Catalan speakers and tourists in Barcelona would, in my opinion, take away from the things I was looking for linguistically and culturally in a Spanish city. I was asked "why Madrid " And I stated my opinions on why i came here instead of "the other city."

Quote:
No one would speak to a foreigner in Catalan, because nobody outside Catalonia speaks it.
This is exactly the point I was trying to make. I want to speak the language, and be spoken to in what makes me "most local." I don't care to learn Catalan, but I wouldn't feel like I was really a part of society in Catalonia if I didn't. Maybe you feel differently, and that's fine.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:53 PM

3,103 posts, read 2,227,494 times
I suggest the tax treatment reported here be verified with a competent tax professional.

I have looked into retiring in Germany - and the tax implications are very serious and make it an untenable proposition. My wife is on a sabbatical in Germany but we have had to chunk her stay in shorter than 90 days intervals (not visa issue as she has a dual citizenship) to ensure that we do not get into trouble with Finanzamt there. Of course, that’s a slightly different situation - but we have written off Germany retirement possibility due to the tax considerations.

The situation suggested here with respect to taxes seems a bit too good to be true. From this link - it appears that Spain at least does tax foreign source income contrary to some of the claims here.
https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs...-retire-abroad

Last edited by kavm; 10-17-2018 at 09:07 PM..

Old 12-15-2018, 08:51 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,099,627 times
Wiki
Thanks for all the information and leading me to this thread.
Funny we live in Miami Beach and I will be retiring within two years, while we love it here, issues such as health costs after I retire, about 1700 a month premiums for me and partner has us looking at other options.
My grandparents were originally from Northern Spain, the Basque Country and I have received information from the Spanish consulate that I could live a year in Spain and then apply for citizenship thru my grandparents. Nice to know.
My pension would be enough for both of us to qualify for non lucrative visa, we would just have to get private insurance which even though because of our ages 62 and 57 might be higher don’t think it would approach the 1700 a month here.
We love traveling, so we’re thinking a 1 year stay in Spain allowing us access to rest of Europe would be a nice start to retirement and maybe even save some money. If we like it enough we could extend and even apply for citizenship.
We are traveling to Madrid and Northern Spain, Pamplona, San Sebastián and Gijon this summer and figure we might return again next summer before making a decision.
We are looking more at Asturias and Basque countries since we like mountains, greenery and cooler weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe