Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 10:44 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,556,365 times

Advertisements

Almost all Italians i've met were major fans of Berlusconi

And he seems like a funny guy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 11:07 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Almost all Italians I've met were major fans of Berlusconi

And he seems like a funny guy
Exactly.

The country was and has been in decline before, during and after Berlusconi, so in the mind of many at least an entertainer. To me he was vile, but I can understand his supporters: the alternatives were no better, probably even worse.

Around 20,000 or so families rule Italy like a fief, and the trickle down has become thinner for the average Italian in a globalized economy in which they can hardly compete.

In bocca al lupo!

Old 01-30-2016, 04:07 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,286,521 times
All I can say is that most people in their 30's-40's now, those who have been old enough to vote when berlusconi arrived, these people are largely disgusted with politics in general.

I mean, the actual leader of the government was not even elected. How can you be interested in politics after that ?

From a foreigner point of view, italians politics look like a TV show more than anything. On November here there was a public meeting of Lega Nord (against which it was near impossible to demonstrate, meanwhile there were fascists parading in the city center), and the level of language used by the public figures of the party to describe opponents was abysmal.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:45 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,814,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
All I can say is that most people in their 30's-40's now, those who have been old enough to vote when berlusconi arrived, these people are largely disgusted with politics in general.

I mean, the actual leader of the government was not even elected. How can you be interested in politics after that ?

From a foreigner point of view, italians politics look like a TV show more than anything. On November here there was a public meeting of Lega Nord (against which it was near impossible to demonstrate, meanwhile there were fascists parading in the city center), and the level of language used by the public figures of the party to describe opponents was abysmal.
The head of the government (which i'm not even a fan of, he's too much of a catch all politician for my liking) we didn't elect has done much more in a year or so to improve the economic system than its precedessors have done in 20 or so years. The average middle aged Italian men is disillusioned with politics and rightly but those who are in the 20s show as much interest as the old generations. Most of the rise of Five Star Movement has been led by these young generations

Old 02-01-2016, 12:53 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Sounds awfully like Taiwan tbh.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Both Donald Trump and Silvo Berlusconi have some mafia connections

Old 02-02-2016, 05:59 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,334 times
Personally I really can't stand Berlusconi, he is probably one of the few Italian public figures that I hate.
If you ask me "but why do you hate him?" I would have some problem to answer, it is an instinctive dislike. Objectively he wasn't worse than many other politicians we had, he is just the one who was at the government when I was old enough to notice the problems of our politic (in particular I'm thinking about his last governments, 2001-2006 and 2008-2011). Also some of his Ministers will remain forever in my mind, in particular Lunardi and Gelmini...

Old 02-02-2016, 05:20 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,814,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
Personally I really can't stand Berlusconi, he is probably one of the few Italian public figures that I hate.
If you ask me "but why do you hate him?" I would have some problem to answer, it is an instinctive dislike. Objectively he wasn't worse than many other politicians we had, he is just the one who was at the government when I was old enough to notice the problems of our politic (in particular I'm thinking about his last governments, 2001-2006 and 2008-2011). Also some of his Ministers will remain forever in my mind, in particular Lunardi and Gelmini...

Honestly, the number of Forza Italia politicans who are Berlusconi's lapdogs is nauseating. I can't even understand how they got elected. Starting from Gelmini and ending up with the most recent lapdog who got to become Liguria's president.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:07 PM

181 posts, read 231,851 times
Quote:
How well did Italy do under Berlusconi?
Italy had the Cicciolina back then. Those were the days!

Old 02-03-2016, 02:37 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiReader View Post
Italy had the Cicciolina back then.
Cicciolina's entry into the Italian parliament pre-dated Berlusconi's rise to power by some seven years, she served one term and never returned. At one point she even went back to Hungary and attempted to enter the Hungarian parliament, without success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiReader View Post
Those were the days!
The late 1980s were indeed a promising time, but that burdgeoning success apparently papered over a lot of underlying rot.

Anyway, to again answer the OP's question, the consensus seems to be ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
Objectively he wasn't worse than many other politicians we had ...
So Italy's "lost years" pre-dated Berlusconi and they have outlasted Berlusconi, he really had no significant impact.

Last edited by bale002; 02-03-2016 at 02:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe