Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 06:09 AM

957 posts, read 1,134,252 times

Advertisements

under Silvio we performed the worst in the world
between 2001 and 2008 I believe we've been the only country in the world to experience a net zero growth
that's why Berlusca wasn't a real liberal pro-entrepreneur politicians but instead a feudal-croony-capitalist who don't like free market and competition, that's the reality
the only time he cancelled a tax were the taxes on property (2008) and inheritances (2005), not taxes on those who work and produce
he did not privatize anything, he did not merge the thousands of thousands of small companies owned by local authorities, he even did not stop immigration but far from that he gave the amnesty to some 700k africans, slavs and arabs
he didn't reform the Constitution in a more modern way
didn't give a **** about civil rights
didn't reform the welfare system to make it more right, universalistic and modern

etc etc

the worst we could experience

in fact after the win in 2001 his party begun to lose on and on
the local elections in 2003
the European elections in 2004
and then the massive know out in the Regional ones of 2005

the great win of 2008 was the last chant of the swan, due to more of a fault of Romano Prodi's cabinet

he went from having a 38% support in 2008 to a ridicule 10+something now

and it's still too much inmho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 04:43 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
under Silvio we performed the worst in the world
between 2001 and 2008 I believe we've been the only country in the world to experience a net zero growth
that's why Berlusca wasn't a real liberal pro-entrepreneur politicians but instead a feudal-croony-capitalist who don't like free market and competition, that's the reality
the only time he cancelled a tax were the taxes on property (2008) and inheritances (2005), not taxes on those who work and produce
he did not privatize anything, he did not merge the thousands of thousands of small companies owned by local authorities, he even did not stop immigration but far from that he gave the amnesty to some 700k africans, slavs and arabs
he didn't reform the Constitution in a more modern way
didn't give a **** about civil rights
didn't reform the welfare system to make it more right, universalistic and modern

etc etc

the worst we could experience

in fact after the win in 2001 his party begun to lose on and on
the local elections in 2003
the European elections in 2004
and then the massive know out in the Regional ones of 2005

the great win of 2008 was the last chant of the swan, due to more of a fault of Romano Prodi's cabinet

he went from having a 38% support in 2008 to a ridicule 10+something now

and it's still too much inmho
But he is trying to restore power right??

Italy will be a big boy again

He is upping the ante!!

Italy will be head to head with France and Germany

It's a power game in EU.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:50 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,296,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
The head of the government (which i'm not even a fan of, he's too much of a catch all politician for my liking) we didn't elect has done much more in a year or so to improve the economic system than its precedessors have done in 20 or so years. The average middle aged Italian men is disillusioned with politics and rightly but those who are in the 20s show as much interest as the old generations. Most of the rise of Five Star Movement has been led by these young generations

oh yeah, I'm not denying Renzi is miles better than the old creepy man, but then again it's like comparing Obama to Bush 2.0.

And I admit there are many young people interested in politics, most of my friends are, the thing is their voices are hardly heard (yet).

Old 02-05-2016, 05:59 PM

9,370 posts, read 14,322,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
But he is trying to restore power right??

Italy will be a big boy again

He is upping the ante!!

Italy will be head to head with France and Germany

It's a power game in EU.
No, Berlusconi is looking old and frail, his party is trailing in the polls, now a relatively minor party, his era is all but over.

Actually the current government is lately giving the appearance of standing up to the EU commission, pushing for budget flexibility to enact some modest labor tax cuts. They even delayed extension of sanctions against Russia, but eventually caved in.

A 1% growth rate in 2016 could be considered a major positive achievement this year.

Good Luck!

Old 02-07-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
No, Berlusconi is looking old and frail, his party is trailing in the polls, now a relatively minor party, his era is all but over.

Actually the current government is lately giving the appearance of standing up to the EU commission, pushing for budget flexibility to enact some modest labor tax cuts. They even delayed extension of sanctions against Russia, but eventually caved in.

A 1% growth rate in 2016 could be considered a major positive achievement this year.

Good Luck!
No i meant Renzi

He looks rather active.

I hope Italy can at least manage to grow like 2%

Old 02-07-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
No i meant Renzi

He looks rather active.

I hope Italy can at least manage to grow like 2%
Since 2009, Italy's economy has shrank accumulatively by some large percentage, don't have the data on hand right now, but in the tens of percent, perhaps as much as 25%, in recession around four or five of the past seven years.

So even 1% growth, which would be a significant achievement in 2016, would be off a much reduced base.

For Italy to grow 2%, the economies of its major trading partners would have to grow some 3%-4% at least.

But the balance of risk is on the downside even for the 1% forecast as the rest of the world is teetering on recession right now.

From the perspective of the English-speaking world, Mr. Renzi is somewhat reminiscent of Tony Blair, but only a very tiny chance that he will be anywhere near as successful.

Good Luck!

Old 02-07-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Since 2009, Italy's economy has shrank accumulatively by some large percentage, don't have the data on hand right now, but in the tens of percent, perhaps as much as 25%, in recession around four or five of the past seven years.

So even 1% growth, which would be a significant achievement in 2016, would be off a much reduced base.

For Italy to grow 2%, the economies of its major trading partners would have to grow some 3%-4% at least.

But the balance of risk is on the downside even for the 1% forecast as the rest of the world is teetering on recession right now.

From the perspective of the English-speaking world, Mr. Renzi is somewhat reminiscent of Tony Blair, but only a very tiny chance that he will be anywhere near as successful.

Good Luck!
So what are we looking at here??

When is the next election??

You think Renzi will win??

What about opposition??

Old 02-08-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:

What about opposition??
I can tell what we're NOT looking at: a country with a lot of economic dynamism that can hold the attention of ambitious young people.

The next election comes due in February 2018, so in two years, but early election is always a possibility. My best guess is the some time between April and September of 2017, but it could be at anytime if there is a crisis.

Current polls suggest Renzi's party and this so-called Movimento Cinque Stelle are neck and neck, with a slight edge to Renzi's party.

Who will win? Who knows? Two years is a long time in electoral politics.

It could even be a long time in economics: while 2016 could be a recessionary year globally, dragging down Italy with it, again, 2017 could be a year of recovery, just in time for new elections on an uptick.

If there is a major crisis that the political parties of the day cannot solve, the stock solution in Italy is a so-called "technical" government, usually a banker or economics professor, like Lamberto Dini, Carlo Azeglio Ciampi, or Mario Monti, generally to raise taxes, politically unpopular but railroaded through under the guise of economic necessity. Wash rinse repeat every decade or so.

But this time it's different, this time it's different, this time it's different!

Caro amico ti scrivo ...

Good Luck!

Old 02-09-2016, 04:50 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
oh yeah, I'm not denying Renzi is miles better than the old creepy man, but then again it's like comparing Obama to Bush 2.0.

And I admit there are many young people interested in politics, most of my friends are, the thing is their voices are hardly heard (yet).
That's an apt comparison but i swear that Prodi and Renzi were the only half decent presidents we had since Moro's assassination. That's true that voices of the young people are hardly ever heard, this is why antiestablishment parties such as M5S and Lega Nord (when it first was a catch all secessionist party) were born

Old 02-09-2016, 05:00 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:

What about opposition??
It will be hard for Renzi to win, the electoral law that's about to pass actually puts him at a disadvantage. His party usually polls as the most popular but far left wing Five Star Movement isn't far behind (32% vs 27%) and it's actually polled to narrowly win at the ballot.

The next election should be in February 2018. Much depends on how Italy performs economically in the next couple years. If it posts a growth of more than 1% and the economy shows further signs of improving he has a really good shot but in Italian politics you never know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe