Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2016, 04:55 PM

324 posts, read 467,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
As I said, I've had friends, acquaintances and colleagues who identify as Muslim, but none of them would harm a fly, or try to force their beliefs on anyone - and I would hazard an educated guess that a large percentage of the Muslim population of Luton, for example, would do the same. Some of them you wouldn't even believe are Muslims because - believe it or not - they've grown up in the UK and and adapted to the culture. They even drink and get laid for goodness sake. You should really try to talk to some and attempt to engage with them instead of extracting your opinions from Britain First/EDL/National Front youtube clips.
The issue isn't individual Muslims. Of course there are nice Muslims, just as there were Nazis that would have been perfectly friendly. The problem is the ideology. I think you are letting your empathy cloud your judgment on this.

Look at polling data of Turkish Germans for example, about half of them want Muslims to outnumber Christians in Germany. Leben in Deutschland: Türkische Migranten hoffen auf muslimische Mehrheit - DIE WELT

And that is among TURKS, who have a history of secularism uncommon in the Islamic world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 06:07 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,059,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Pardon me for asking??

Haven't seen that in the US, that's all. If the image isn't common, it seems like a scene was picked for its potentially inflammatory nature.
I'm sure there are areas in the US where you can find it

Old 02-14-2016, 07:07 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,861,767 times
There are too many pages to read thru, so if what my answer is was already *discussed*, my sincere apologies.

**Why it is kept an "issue" that muslim culture would destroy European culture
but American culture add nobody care?**

Because of the hard to understand grammar, I assume the OP thinks:
1 - *Muslim influence is destroying European Culture*, and everybody complains.
2 - *American Culture is destroying European Culture, but nobody ever complained ?

So the OP wonders about Muslim influence vs. American influence.

First, Muslim or Islam influence, is a religion, while American influence is more or less a life style where religion does not play a part at all.

American Influence:
More or less American *products* coming to Europe, without hordes of *Americans* (aka people) showing up and *demanding* that Europeans should use them !!
From *my* memory, this was happening around the late 50's and early 60's.
For me, this date, because that was when I began to figure out what *I* would like to experience and have (mid-twenties)
Rock'n Roll, Jeans (Lee was the brand we wanted), movies.
I honestly do not remember any *Americans* haunting me to use their products.
Were any Europeans using *American Products* scared to use them ???

Islam influence:
Hordes of people coming in with their *religious beliefs*.
No Islam/Muslim products, the present Europeans are interested in (as far as I know).
Just a religion, that really does not fit at all in Europe !!

So really ... what is the *beef* here ???
This is like comparing *apples and oranges* to *Roast Beef*.

Anybody wants to *help me out* here ???

Old 02-15-2016, 01:05 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,335,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
There are too many pages to read thru, so if what my answer is was already *discussed*, my sincere apologies.

**Why it is kept an "issue" that muslim culture would destroy European culture
but American culture add nobody care?**

Because of the hard to understand grammar, I assume the OP thinks:
1 - *Muslim influence is destroying European Culture*, and everybody complains.
2 - *American Culture is destroying European Culture, but nobody ever complained ?

So the OP wonders about Muslim influence vs. American influence.

First, Muslim or Islam influence, is a religion, while American influence is more or less a life style where religion does not play a part at all.

American Influence:
More or less American *products* coming to Europe, without hordes of *Americans* (aka people) showing up and *demanding* that Europeans should use them !!
From *my* memory, this was happening around the late 50's and early 60's.
For me, this date, because that was when I began to figure out what *I* would like to experience and have (mid-twenties)
Rock'n Roll, Jeans (Lee was the brand we wanted), movies.
I honestly do not remember any *Americans* haunting me to use their products.
Were any Europeans using *American Products* scared to use them ???

Islam influence:
Hordes of people coming in with their *religious beliefs*.
No Islam/Muslim products, the present Europeans are interested in (as far as I know).
Just a religion, that really does not fit at all in Europe !!

So really ... what is the *beef* here ???
This is like comparing *apples and oranges* to *Roast Beef*.

Anybody wants to *help me out* here ???

However I have the impression that people here understand something different by culture than I do. Given the fact that most people are apolitical I do not understand political or economical ideologies as part of culture. With culture I mean the way people life their daily lives, how they dress, what they eat, what music they listen to, what sports and other leisure activities they do, how they interact with other people, family life, religious habits. I think the Islamic world is as materialistic in terms of consume and status symbols as is the Western world (I have seen German Salafists in Ralph Lauren or Abercrombie&Fitch clothing, can't remember which one but it was an expensive distinctively American brand) in contrast maybe to Buddhist societies, when you think of the uprisings in the Arab world, it was because they want Western wealth, but not Western values, look at Egypt when they voted the Muslim Brotherhood - for the majority there it was never about democracy - the same reason the refugees come to Germoney, for material benefits, otherwise they would stay in Turkey, however I do not consider materialism or consumerism as a part of culture. And I think it is ridiculous to blame America because people all over the world are greedy and materialistic.

PS: This says a lot about Muslim consumerism:

http://img.welt.de/img/ausland/crop1...-EN-FRANCE.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 02-15-2016 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 02-15-2016, 04:08 AM

33 posts, read 37,740 times
I personally dislike Islam, I have nothing against individual's but I really really dislike that religion. I don't care how peaceful and loving it claims to be. We're on the 21st century and no religion should create so much trouble in order to be able to live in an organized diverse society.

Islam has issues with women, gays and lesbians, with anything that is not muslim really!

Many muslims could care less about women, gays and so on..... they just wanna live normal lives, but the fact is many other muslims CANNOT and WILL NOT accept the fact the world is not all about mohammad, and allah akhbar!

Recently I was at a supermarket and they had samples of pork, so I tried one and you should have seen the looks I got from a muslim man nearby, (yes he was muslim as he was dressed in that traditional attire), he looked at me like I am disgusting!

Why do I have to put up with that kind of intolerance? I am in Europe!! I am not in Saudi Arabia!

If you're not tolerant with my ways (they are not hurting any one), why do I HAVE to be tolerant with you?

Old 02-15-2016, 04:10 AM

Please Arabs are even more status crazy than Christian societies!!!

Take a look at Dubai!

Old 02-15-2016, 05:49 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
What is American culture? Wearing jeans, Coca Cola, movies and video games. People like that, myself included, except for the Coke, people adopt American culture by their own choice. Islamization is forced upon us and what is Muslim culture? Wearing hijabs, beheading people, drinking no beer and eating no pork - can't you see the difference?
Why on earth do you think that wearing jeans, movies and video games is 'American culture'???

Old 02-15-2016, 06:45 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,335,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Why on earth do you think that wearing jeans, movies and video games is 'American culture'???
What else should be American culture as one is confronted with in Europe aside from pop music and McDonalds?

Old 02-15-2016, 07:29 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,701,281 times
I personally dislike both, american culture and islamic culture. I don't care anything else but saving my own and keep living like before. I hate so much this american influence that they are adding, selling and forcing in covernment and EU level

Old 02-15-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
What else should be American culture as one is confronted with in Europe aside from pop music and McDonalds?
hmmmm There is so much American culture everywhere, that things you think are the norm in YOUR culture, are actually American in origin.

Up until the 1960's Europe was pretty closed and provincial and sending millions of immigrants everywhere, well mostly to North and South America. A visit to that Europe and you'll see how different European culture was before it was Americanized and American culture had become mainstream in Europe.

America has vast complex diverse culture, you're simplifying it out of ignorance. It's like saying, yeah what is there to German culture besides lederhosen and sausages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe