Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 02:51 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,296,223 times

Advertisements

oh yeah, but then there also famous european brands for clothing. What I was pointing at is that if some of those brands kept more manufacturing jobs around here that would be a pretty good idea for the economy.

Meanwhile, a publicity for Puglia in Italy:

#WeareinPuglia, ecco lo spot che fa il giro del mondo - Repubblica Tv - la Repubblica.it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 04:20 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Correct The European Union was in the last 4 years able to achieve a constantly rising market share on the U.S. market:

2011: 16.7%
2012: 16.8%
2013: 17.1%
2014: 17.8%
2015: 19.0%

And the U.S. needs products from Europe. For example special steel beams for a new train station in Manhattan are imported from Italy. It was not possible to produce those steel beams in the U.S. The glass facade of the new Apple HQ is imported form Germany, because no American manufacturer was able to produce such glass panels. The paint for the White House in Washington is imported from Germany
And if for example a food or furniture manufacturer in the U.S. wants to increase the efficiency, they normally buy the needed machines from Italy or Germany.

EDIT: End of course cruise ships
Almost every cruise ship in the U.S. is either from Fincantieri (Italy) or from Meyer-Werft (Germany / Finland). The U.S. tried to build a cruise ship, about 15 years ago. They have build the hull but the project failed in 2001. The hull was towed from Mississippi to Bremerhaven in Germany, where it was finished. The name of the ship was "Pride of America"

International trade is advantageous for both sides.
No need to worry, I prefer Nike sneakers over sneakers from Adidas.
It isn't a wonder that the market share increased the most in 2015 when Euro was at its weakest. Anyway, i had no idea the USA had to import steel beams, paint, glass, ecc. because they couldn't produce it there but at most because our companies offered more competitive prices.

My uncle did shortly work at a firm who repaired cruise ships in Jacksonville, Miami, New Orleans, Mobile and Nassau. They had most of their work in the Caribbean and in the Gulf of Mexico so i guess that kind of work either isn't developed overseas or our workforce is cheaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
oh yeah, but then there also famous european brands for clothing. What I was pointing at is that if some of those brands kept more manufacturing jobs around here that would be a pretty good idea for the economy.

Meanwhile, a publicity for Puglia in Italy:

#WeareinPuglia, ecco lo spot che fa il giro del mondo - Repubblica Tv - la Repubblica.it
It's a brilliant spot for my region, i think it is a bit on the long side, i would rather we sent 30 seconds ads which could be broadcasted on the main channels of foreign countries but if this spot gets a couple tourists to get interested and come, it'll be a success already!

Old 02-14-2016, 06:53 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,296,223 times
Tarallini are all it takes to make people come if you ask me

Old 02-14-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Tarallini are all it takes to make people come if you ask me
The onion flavoured one are a pleasure. They are a bit heavy, anyway the great things about taralli is that they come in all flavours. There's a place here who does even chocolate ones

Old 02-17-2016, 01:12 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Five reasons why the world is worried about the state of Italy - The Local

Old 02-17-2016, 03:01 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
EDIT: End of course cruise ships
Almost every cruise ship in the U.S. is either from Fincantieri (Italy) or from Meyer-Werft (Germany / Finland). The U.S. tried to build a cruise ship, about 15 years ago. They have build the hull but the project failed in 2001. The hull was towed from Mississippi to Bremerhaven in Germany, where it was finished. The name of the ship was "Pride of America"
Yeah, well, you have to know how to build them. The Turku and Papenburg shipyards now under Meyer-Werft have built 8 of the 10 largest ever cruise ships, the remaining two from Saint-Nazaire. I don't think we'll stop before we get all 10/10. Or even better, the Turku shipyard holds alone all 10. We're halfway there already.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:08 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,025,201 times
Interesting...though as someone from "the world", I am not worried about them at all. They were the richest country 400 years ago and then again 2000 years ago or so. They will find a way again.

The only thing that almost worries me is the fact that they have the highest child obesity rate in Europe.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:17 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Interesting...though as someone from "the world", I am not worried about them at all. They were the richest country 400 years ago and then again 2000 years ago or so. They will find a way again.

The only thing that almost worries me is the fact that they have the highest child obesity rate in Europe.
I agree.

Roman Empire needs to make a comeback.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post

We weren't the wealthiest country four centuries ago, we weren't even a country and we were far from being a wealthy one in European context, in fact i'm pretty sure Spain (due to the discovery of gold in its colonies), France and UK were wealthier due to trading advantages.

Swaths of ITaly (basically Veneto, Tuscany, Emilia Romagna, Liguria and Lombardy) were the wealthiest states in the world only in the late middle ages and in Renaissance but once Columbus (ironically, a Genovese) discovered a new land, our merchants had no access to the new goods those countries could bring.

As for obesity rates, it's one of the lowest in the developed world

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I agree.

Roman Empire needs to make a comeback.
It doesn't. We've gone past the age of Empires and a more balanced geopolitical system is finally emerging. Anyway, it could be said that European block as a whole can be identified as a modern successor of the Roman Empire, given that modern European society has slowly evolved from its ashes

Old 02-17-2016, 03:53 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,025,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
I said about child obesity rate, not all ages. I was looking once for obesity rates in Europe by various sources and the Italian case came up a couple of times.

About wealth: Historically it had the highest GDP in the Renaissance, during Giordano Bruno's time etc. Sure, it wasn't one single country but the republics that today comprise it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe