Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 04:04 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post

It doesn't. We've gone past the age of Empires and a more balanced geopolitical system is finally emerging. Anyway, it could be said that European block as a whole can be identified as a modern successor of the Roman Empire, given that modern European society has slowly evolved from its ashes
Nope.

EU looks like Holy Roman Empire

Italians need to play a larger role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 04:13 PM

9,370 posts, read 14,322,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Nope.

That's quite funny. Come to think of it, the EU does more look like the farcical HRE than the Roman Empire.

In the industrial era, the Italians had their chance to play a bigger role in the 1922-1941 period, but they chose the wrong ally.

Since then, as a whole, the Italians consistently choose mediocrity, it's safer.

Good Luck!

Old 02-17-2016, 04:22 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
Nope.

Tonight, former Italian PM Prodi (on eof the few decent ones we had, i'd add) made an appearance at a talk show, he's credited for being the one who paved the way for entry into the Euro and he's said that in the early 00s there was a balance between UK, France, Germany and Italy but that this balance has gone missing because UK has inexplicably given up, Italy had to face serious economical problems until recently and that France has had weak political figures.

I think he's been spot on, we do need to play a larger role but so do Spain, UK and France. I think Renzi is going in the right way as he's challenging EU establishment on several measures and is seemingly successful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
That's quite funny. Come to think of it, the EU does more look like the farcical HRE than the Roman Empire.

In the industrial era, the Italians had their chance to play a bigger role in the 1922-1941 period, but they chose the wrong ally.

Since then, as a whole, the Italians consistently choose mediocrity, it's safer.

Good Luck!
Rather be mediocre than nationalistic and a cruel regime such as Italy was during that one. Italians haven't chosen for mediocrity, it's just that they have been faced with a loss after WWII and have never been in the condition to get back up until the late 70s which is the only they made the wrong choice not electing Berlinguer and deciding to have the country slowly being ****ed over by Andreotti and his allies instead

Old 02-17-2016, 04:22 PM

Everyone is so harsh on Italy and Italians.

So sad.

I think they are very creative, talented and great people.

Actually industrial wise they would smoke Germans and French as well.

But it seems they are waiting for something.

They need to boost their confidence.

Remember Alfa Romeo!!!

Old 02-17-2016, 04:29 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
Everyone is so harsh on Italy and Italians.

So sad.

I think they are very creative, talented and great people.

Actually industrial wise they would smoke Germans and French as well.

But it seems they are waiting for something.

They need to boost their confidence.

Remember Alfa Romeo!!!
That's true. We are very indecise and pessimistic in nature but that's what you get after decades of mistrust in politics and economy. It will take only a decade of decent management to finally see a rise in hope and confidence

Old 02-17-2016, 10:57 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
Quote:
We weren't the wealthiest country four centuries ago, we weren't even a country and we were far from being a wealthy one in European context, in fact i'm pretty sure Spain (due to the discovery of gold in its colonies), France and UK were wealthier due to trading advantages.

Swaths of ITaly (basically Veneto, Tuscany, Emilia Romagna, Liguria and Lombardy) were the wealthiest states in the world only in the late middle ages and in Renaissance but once Columbus (ironically, a Genovese) discovered a new land, our merchants had no access to the new goods those countries could bring.

As for obesity rates, it's one of the lowest in the developed world

It doesn't. We've gone past the age of Empires and a more balanced geopolitical system is finally emerging. Anyway, it could be said that European block as a whole can be identified as a modern successor of the Roman Empire, given that modern European society has slowly evolved from its ashes

It is very unlikely he was Genovese there is much more evidence to indicate he was of Sephardic Jewish ancestry.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/20/opinio...lumbus-jewish/

Last edited by AFP; 02-17-2016 at 11:11 PM..

Old 02-18-2016, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Tonight, former Italian PM Prodi (one of the few decent ones we had, I'd add) made an appearance at a talk show, he's credited for being the one who paved the way for entry into the Euro
Interesting to note, Romano Prodi was the last chief executive of the Italian military/industrial complex founded in 1936. In fact, much of Italy's economic and financial infrastructure was put in place in the 1930s, survived the 1940s mostly intact, did quite well in the 1950s-1980s, and lasted until the early 1990s.

Equally interesting to note is that Mr Prodi was brought down by your boy Bertinotti who subsequently left politics. Isn't that hilarious?

F a u s t o ... I like the way that sounds.

In the meantime, the euro is nothing to brag credit about: equally hilarious, since the "reforms" of the early 1990s and joining the euro, the Italian economy has basically not grown at all.

Talk show indeed.

So we look at the results, Niccolò, we look at the results.

Look, I wish Renzi success and I appreciate his economic policy challenges in the face of the EU Commission and its paymasters on the Council. But in the end, we look at the results, Niccolò, we look at the results.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 02-18-2016 at 02:18 AM..

Old 02-18-2016, 03:34 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,296,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
It is very unlikely he was Genovese there is much more evidence to indicate he was of Sephardic Jewish ancestry.

Was Columbus secretly a Jew? - CNN.com
As you can see, brain drain goes back a long way in Italy...

Old 02-18-2016, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Interesting to note, Romano Prodi was the last chief executive of the Italian military/industrial complex founded in 1936. In fact, much of Italy's economic and financial infrastructure was put in place in the 1930s, survived the 1940s mostly intact, did quite well in the 1950s-1980s, and lasted until the early 1990s.

Equally interesting to note is that Mr Prodi was brought down by your boy Bertinotti who subsequently left politics. Isn't that hilarious?

F a u s t o ... I like the way that sounds.

In the meantime, the euro is nothing to brag credit about: equally hilarious, since the "reforms" of the early 1990s and joining the euro, the Italian economy has basically not grown at all.

Talk show indeed.

So we look at the results, Niccolò, we look at the results.

Look, I wish Renzi success and I appreciate his economic policy challenges in the face of the EU Commission and its paymasters on the Council. But in the end, we look at the results, Niccolò, we look at the results.

Good Luck!
I hear a lot of Italians like Prodi but he was working at Goldman Sachs.

Not good.

So you say he pulled a Machiavelli

Renzi is facing big challenges cause things he wants to change are all up to EU unfortunately.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:09 AM

Quote:
I hear a lot of Italians like Prodi but he was working at Goldman Sachs.

So you say he pulled a Machiavelli
I like Prodi too, a very serious, intelligent man with a nice, easygoing personality. But I am also saying that he, part of the industrial-military-financial complex like so many others, is like, well, so many others.

And I am saying the we judge leaders/policymakers based on actual results.

On that basis he is, well, like so many others, and with mediocre results, at best, for Italy since the 1990s, a decade that began with so much promise. In the event, the euro has proved nothing.

But a return to the lira would also probably prove nothing, so the prognosis is for another decade, at least, of stagnation and decline.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe