Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 02:28 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,836,989 times

Advertisements

Using Cyrillic, that would be too G, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 02:38 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Finland was under the rule of the Russian Tsar from 1809-1917. I think they have plenty reason to be wary.
You need to follow the line, the "train of thought" here - why Finland ended up as part of Russia to begin with.
The reason it happened was because Russia was fighting with Sweden for the access to the Baltic Sea at that point in time. Russia won, Sweden lost. Finland at that point in time used to be Swedish colony, which became a concession to Russian victory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Northern_War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland

After St. Petersburg was established as a major Russian port on Baltic Sea, this whole issue of Baltic access became less important. Hence when Finland was gone after the 1917, it was not a big deal from strategic point of view. As long as Russia is not threatened as it was at the verge of the WWII, there is no sense for Russians to claim Finnish territories.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:53 PM

30,343 posts, read 19,138,862 times
You don't get to become by far the largest country in the world without being tough and aggressive....which Russians have consistently been both. I worked in Moscow for about 6 months and I came away with the opinion that I wouldn't want to do business or work in Russia in the future ever again. They are a natural trading partner with Germany and other Euro countries and they have oil and gas Europe needs though....just not going to be easy. Not saying that we (USA) are faultless as we have placed sanctions that I'm not sure was the right thing to do either.

Finland has benefitted greatly from trade with Russia but I would be nervous with a neighbor like that. Canada is a great neighbor and Mexico is very tolerable in comparison.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:53 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You need to follow the line, the "train of thought" here - why Finland ended up as part of Russia to begin with.
The reason it happened was because Russia was fighting with Sweden for the access to the Baltic Sea at that point in time. Russia won, Sweden lost. Finland at that point in time used to be Swedish colony, which became a concession to Russian victory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Northern_War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland

After St. Petersburg was established as a major Russian port on Baltic Sea, this whole issue of Baltic access became less important. Hence when Finland was gone after the 1917, it was not a big deal from strategic point of view. As long as Russia is not threatened as it was at the verge of the WWII, there is no sense for Russians to claim Finnish territories.
Saint Petersburg was founded in 1703. The Great Northern War ended in 1721. Finland was annexed by Russia in 1809. The Soviets invaded it in 1939.

I don't think your "train of thought" goes in the direction you think it does.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:05 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,557 times
Some of my relatives or friends in finland are pissed off, some don't care and some are afraid.. I guess like any other country. Some has russian friends, some are travelling, some cannot stand the whole folks.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:23 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,477 times
I saw this description of various countries....'America is a noisy culture, unlike, say, Finland, which values silence. Individualism, dominant in the U.S. and Germany, promotes the direct, fast-paced style of communication associated with extraversion. Collectivistic societies, such as those in East Asia, value privacy and restraint, qualities more characteristic of introverts'

The thing I like about Finland is that 'silence'. I realize I am on the outside looking in but it would appear they have have a facility for knowing when to open up their mouths and when to keep quiet. They appear to be a good judge of their entire environment both inside and outside the country.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:21 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,215,194 times
My personal opinion is that lot of great things are coming from east.
First is sunrise and second is....uuh....mmm...well, that is all.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:54 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Saint Petersburg was founded in 1703. The Great Northern War ended in 1721. Finland was annexed by Russia in 1809. The Soviets invaded it in 1939.

I don't think your "train of thought" goes in the direction you think it does.
No-no, my train of thought goes into the right direction.
During the Great Northern War Peter the Great captured (then) fortress Nienskans and soon replaced it with Peter and Paul fortress. As I've mentioned, he was looking for the ways to get a better seaport than Archangelsk, that was freezing during the winter time ( you can read about it here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Petersburg

The war with Sweden went on after that - it's true, and Finland was still Swedish territory.

The main reason Russia wanted that territory was precisely that -

"Although most Swedish officers were skeptical about their chances in fighting the larger and more experienced Russian army, Gustav Adolf had an unrealistic view of Sweden's ability to defend itself against Russia. In Saint Petersburg, his stubbornness was viewed as a convenient pretext to occupy Finland, thus pushing the Russo-Swedish frontier considerably to the west of the Russian capital and safeguarding it in case of any future hostilities between the two powers."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_War

In 1939 Russia invaded Finland yet again for her own security reasons. Since Russian generals could predict the potential danger for St. Petersburg, they tried to negotiate the territory they deemed important from strategic point of view, vital for protection of the city. But Finland declined and that's why Russian invasion followed.
But as long as Russia was not in any danger in the twenties of previous century and early thirties, Finland was not touched.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:35 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times
I like that there's cheap vodka just across the border.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:20 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,556,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I like that there's cheap vodka just across the border.
So current relations are like good??

Has Putin or your president/prime minister had any visits recently??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe