Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 12:23 PM

400 posts, read 422,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Unacceptable? What do you mean unacceptable?

You seem to live in the bubble. In this world, developed countries consititute a rather small percentage of world population. 80% of world population earn wages you think is "unacceptable", but that's how much wealth they created and that's the life they get.

what is acceptable and what is "indecent"? there is no definition. You think it is unacceptable from a pure entitled European perspective. People work for 2.5 euros an hour is definitely not a good thing, but that's how poor or rich Italy is now. Wages are not artificially pushed down by anyone. It is a result of demand and supply. The Indians would be glad to make 2.5 euros an hour and there are 1.3 billion of them, 20 times of Italy.

you think artificially increasing wage will solve the problem? Why not try double everyone's wage tomorrow, will everyone be twice as rich? no. You still create the same amount of wealth and the only difference is your 2 euros can buy only one euro worth of stuff.

The key is producing more products and create more wealth. That's how to improve living standard, not by paying one more paper money.
Your understanding of the pertinent economic issues facing the bel paese is excessively moralistic, totally wrong and actually pretty pathetic, botti. I'll put you on 'ignore' when economic issues are discussed from now on.

Btw, I take some exception to the broad sweep of the statements you make regarding Italy. Why do log onto a thread specifically discussing an internal italian political topic only to spew your bile at the Italians, whom it appears to me you don't like or respect very much. If You harbour negative views about Italy and italians, so why did you specifically click on a thread about italy to propagate them? Seems curious and more than a little odd that you would do that.

If your view is characteristic of the immigrant chinese community here in Canada, I think we canucks ought to reconsider our welcoming attitude to more inward migration from your neck of the woods. You sound like a reactionary right-wing no-tax whacko. No wonder there's such an anti-tax, anti-government sentiment what was in my childhood a once rather pleasant social democracy.

Sorry, but I don't want to turn into a frozen China, with all their delicious melamine laced milk products and recycled back-alley cooking oils used in our cuisine. Ain't gonna happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 12:39 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
Your understanding of the pertinent economic issues facing the bel paese is excessively moralistic, totally wrong and actually pretty pathetic, botti. I'll put you on 'ignore' when economic issues are discussed from now on.

Btw, I take some exception to the broad sweep of the statements you make regarding Italy. Why do log onto a thread specifically discussing an internal italian political topic only to spew your bile at the Italians, whom it appears to me you don't like or respect very much. If You harbour negative views about Italy and italians, so why did you specifically click on a thread about italy to propagate them? Seems curious and more than a little odd that you would do that.

If your view is characteristic of the immigrant chinese community here in Canada, I think we canucks ought to reconsider our welcoming attitude to more inward migration from your neck of the woods. You sound like a reactionary right-wing no-tax whacko. No wonder there's such an anti-tax, anti-government sentiment what was in my childhood a once rather pleasant social democracy.

Sorry, but I don't want to turn into a frozen China, with all their delicious melamine laced milk products and recycled back-alley cooking oils used in our cuisine. Ain't gonna happen.
I hold a Master in degree in a top 25 US university, and worked in a financial sector for years. I am also living in the fourth country in my life. Probably more qualified than you to comment on economy?

I love Italy. I repeated many time I like southern European countries such as Spain and Italy far more than boring Sweden or whatever in the north. You are one of those who think "don't comment unless you have good things to say", well first, everyone has the same right to comment, negative or positive - and all positivity is a bad thing, and two, if you don't find the problem, you can't solve it. Or you think there is no problem, or the only problem is government is not being generous enough?

as to you Canadian rant, honestly who do you think you are. I hold a Canadian passport and have as much right as you as a Canadian citizen. I don't care if you like my ideas or not and I never think for a second being born in Canada makes anyone any more entitled. I don't want to engage a personal fight here, which is what you seem to want to do because you don't like my opinions, and I usually despise this kind of behavior.

You know little about me and how could you assume I am a right wing who opposes taxes? funny... taxes are not necessarily a good or bad thing. Opposing high tax doesn't make one good and supporting high taxes doesn't make one more progressive. It all depends on the economic situation and whether the tax regime is reasonable or not. Only a simple mindedness person who have no knowledge in economics would assume high tax = better society. For Italy's case, I didn't even comment on taxes so not sure where you rant come from. I am only commenting that the fact many Italian make low wage is because the country is no longer rich enough to support high salaries. Which part of it is not unclear to you?

Also your "pleasant social democracy" is not longer working because the world is different. Other countries are rising fighting for resources and competing in the world economy. There are a lot more important players than in 1966, when a few rich countries can easily enjoy very comfortable life because all others are sleeping. You probably miss that but that's at the cost a much poorer and larger world population, and trust me, that will NEVER return. Countries like Italy will have to work a lot hard to remain competitive, or have to sacrifice their quality of life, and there is no other way.

I am saying it again, without some fundamental change, Italy in 30 years will no longer be a member of the rich country. Honestly, anyone can tell me in today's world, what makes Italy so superior and competitive that they get to belong to a rich country club that is only a small part of the world

(Look the map, considering Canada+Australia have a total population of that of Italy, to be a developed country is a priviledge you need to work hard to achieve and maintain, not taken for granted)

Last edited by botticelli; 12-09-2016 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe