Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 04:41 PM

39 posts, read 39,955 times

Advertisements

So obviously made it to Paris and out hotel fine and Dandy thanks to this Forum, please see my last posts..

However still a rookie in so many ways..

How do I catch a cab back to the airport?? I mean on the way here there was tons stationed at the airport but in my week here I have yet to even see a single cab..?

Please advise, I am staying in hotel across the street from M3 Galliene, leaving in about 5 days..

Regards,

Sean P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 04:45 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
A few pointers.

Depending on where you are in the world, taxis can take many different forms. In Paris, they are just regular saloon cars, painted a sort of sickly cream colour.

They nearly always have four doors plus a trunk. Any larger items of luggage should be put in the trunk, while you and your family should travel in the main section of the taxi along with the owner of the taxi.

Even if you feel that you are an excellent driver and very rested after your flight, you should allow the owner of the taxi to drive, as he will feel that this is part of his job, and that he has not given you the service you will have paid for if he allows you to drive yourself.

Generally, meals are not provided.

I'm not sure where you've been and the taxi driver has let you drive his cab, it certainly wouldn't happen in London, or anywhere else in the world where I've taken a taxi.
I don't think that after crossing the Atlantic I'd be up for driving someone's taxi from JFK or Newark into mid-town Manhattan, and then give him $55 or $60 for the privilege.
Paris taxis are not all painted a sickly cream colour, they can be any colour, but a lot are white or silver coloured.
A REAL Paris taxi has a sign on the roof which says TAXI PARISIEN, under that sign are 3 bulbs encased in plastic, one white, one amber, and one blue, these indicate the rate that is being charged on the meter, depending on the time of day.
That's another thing, a real taxi will always have a meter, and the driver will never approach you, asking if you need a taxi, but beware, (particularly at the airport), rogue drivers who will ask you if you need a cab, they will not have a TAXI PARISIEN sign, and they'll charge you whatever they think you'll stand for, and they will be uninsured to take paying customers.
A lot of taxis will take credit cards now, there will be the familiar VISA/MASTERCARD/AMEX logos on the rear passenger compartment windows, but be prepared to pay a loading of 10, 12, maybe 12.5% on top of the metered fare.
The driver doesn't get this loading, it's whoever he rents the c/c machine from that gets that.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Price View Post
So obviously made it to Paris and out hotel fine and Dandy thanks to this Forum, please see my last posts..

However still a rookie in so many ways..

How do I catch a cab back to the airport?? I mean on the way here there was tons stationed at the airport but in my week here I have yet to even see a single cab..?

Please advise, I am staying in hotel across the street from M3 Galliene, leaving in about 5 days..

Regards,

Sean P

Gallieni metro stop is in the 20th. arrondissement, not seeing a cab there is like saying you're staying on State St, or Wabash Avenue, Chicago IL. and you haven't seen a cab for 5 days, unlikely.
Presuming that there's no taxi stand outside your hotel, you're very close to Avenue du General de Gaulle, and the International Bus Station at Bagnolet is one metro stop away, plenty of taxis there.
One tip, if you ask the concierge or another hotel employee to call you a taxi, MAKE SURE that it is a TAXI PARISIEN when it arrives, because they are inclined to phone one of their friends to come get you.
This friend will have to pony up €10 or €15 to the guy who gave him the job, guess who'll be paying for that?

Old 04-01-2016, 12:39 PM

994 posts, read 1,237,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I'm not sure where you've been and the taxi driver has let you drive his cab, it certainly wouldn't happen in London, or anywhere else in the world where I've taken a taxi.
I don't think that after crossing the Atlantic I'd be up for driving someone's taxi from JFK or Newark into mid-town Manhattan, and then give him $55 or $60 for the privilege.
Paris taxis are not all painted a sickly cream colour, they can be any colour, but a lot are white or silver coloured.
A REAL Paris taxi has a sign on the roof which says TAXI PARISIEN, under that sign are 3 bulbs encased in plastic, one white, one amber, and one blue, these indicate the rate that is being charged on the meter, depending on the time of day.
That's another thing, a real taxi will always have a meter, and the driver will never approach you, asking if you need a taxi, but beware, (particularly at the airport), rogue drivers who will ask you if you need a cab, they will not have a TAXI PARISIEN sign, and they'll charge you whatever they think you'll stand for, and they will be uninsured to take paying customers.
A lot of taxis will take credit cards now, there will be the familiar VISA/MASTERCARD/AMEX logos on the rear passenger compartment windows, but be prepared to pay a loading of 10, 12, maybe 12.5% on top of the metered fare.
The driver doesn't get this loading, it's whoever he rents the c/c machine from that gets that.
I would ignore everything in this post, and, in fact, do the reverse. This is exactly the sort of post that bogus taxi drivers place on social media in order to spread misinformation and drive more hapless tourists into their clutches.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:05 PM

Gentlemen please...

I leave in 3 days, I tried asking the hotel but they wanted/forced a shuttle charter for €80...

We would have to leave like at 5am for a 7:30am departure..

Please advise?

Regards,

Sean P

Old 04-01-2016, 01:07 PM

401 posts, read 650,069 times
Easiest way is to take the RER B ... however it's not so great, especially at night. You can also take a bus to Opéra (9th arr.) and then take the metro. You can also use uber I think, or take a taxi. Make sure you know how much it should cost because some taxi drivers are scumbags and if they see you don't speak French and seem clueless they'll try to charge you more.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
I would ignore everything in this post, and, in fact, do the reverse. This is exactly the sort of post that bogus taxi drivers place on social media in order to spread misinformation and drive more hapless tourists into their clutches.

I'm a little bewildered at this post, is it an April Fool attempt at a joke, or un Poisson d'avril blague, as they'd say in France?
You cannot seriously believe that a licenced taxi driver, anywhere in the world, would invite someone, probably a foreigner, without a taxi driver licence, to drive his taxi for him, or do you?
If I were a rogue taxi driver, where is the percentage for me in telling Sean to avoid rogue touts, and make sure that he takes a licenced TAXI PARISIEN, and to avoid guys with no legal signage or a meter?

Last edited by Rozenn; 04-08-2016 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Rude

Old 04-01-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
If I were a rogue taxi driver, where is the percentage for me in telling Sean to avoid rogue touts, and make sure that he takes a licenced TAXI PARISIEN, and to avoid guys with no legal signage or a meter?
No idea what your trying to do Here, but I think I will make another attempt at speaking with the hotel to see if they can assist...

We would need to leave at 4am, so I doubt that at that time there would be Taxis just outside waiting for people..

Also traveling with a 3yr and 5yr old and their luggage so bus or train route would prove beyond difficult...

Jean, if you have any real advise, please share, as now I have this thought thanks to you guys that the hotel might just call one of their friends?? Say what??

I just hope my guy Piere is in tomorrow as he has proven himself extremely helpful!!

Regards,

Sean P

Last edited by Rozenn; 04-08-2016 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 04-01-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Price View Post
No idea what your trying to do Here, but I think I will make another attempt at speaking with the hotel to see if they can assist...

We would need to leave at 4am, so I doubt that at that time there would be Taxis just outside waiting for people..

Also traveling with a 3yr and 5yr old and their luggage so bus or train route would prove beyond difficult...

Jean, if you have any real advise, please share, as now I have this thought thanks to you guys that the hotel might just call one of their friends?? Say what??

I just hope my guy Piere is in tomorrow as he has proven himself extremely helpful!!

Regards,

Sean P

Sean, I can understand your confusion, I originally posted the God's honest truth about establishing the difference between a legal, and licenced Paris taxi, and just any old car hoping to clip a tourist for a few bucks.
I pointed out what was safe and legal, how to recognise this, and what was not safe to go for, and is illegal.
Then, for whatever reason, a clown, or clowns, George & Bill, post that in telling you what IS a legal, licenced taxi, and how to recognise them as such, somehow I am bogus, and I'm pushing you opt for an illegal non-taxi to take you and your family to the airport!
You couldn't make this stuff up.
You obviously have access to a computer, Google licenced Paris taxis, and you'll see that I'm giving it to you straight.
I wish you well in making your way to the airport, I appreciate that you may have little or no French, but if you can find a taxi driver on a taxi stand somewhere who speaks enough English, or get someone to speak to him for you, give him your name, cell #, the hotel, and your room #, and tell him you'll give him €10 on top of the metered fare, plus a decent tip if he'll pick you up at X time, on X day.
Bonne chance!

Old 04-04-2016, 11:51 AM

994 posts, read 1,237,463 times
Quote:
Sean, I can understand your confusion, I originally posted the God's honest truth about establishing the difference between a legal, and licenced Paris taxi, and just any old car hoping to clip a tourist for a few bucks.
I pointed out what was safe and legal, how to recognise this, and what was not safe to go for, and is illegal.
Then, for whatever reason, a clown, or clowns, George & Bill, post that in telling you what IS a legal, licenced taxi, and how to recognise them as such, somehow I am bogus, and I'm pushing you opt for an illegal non-taxi to take you and your family to the airport!
You couldn't make this stuff up.
You obviously have access to a computer, Google licenced Paris taxis, and you'll see that I'm giving it to you straight.
I wish you well in making your way to the airport, I appreciate that you may have little or no French, but if you can find a taxi driver on a taxi stand somewhere who speaks enough English, or get someone to speak to him for you, give him your name, cell #, the hotel, and your room #, and tell him you'll give him €10 on top of the metered fare, plus a decent tip if he'll pick you up at X time, on X day.
Bonne chance!
I thank you for finally coming round to sense and decency, my Gallic gadfly. It's heartening to see that even the most brazen crook can find himself made good in the presence of his fellow men.

Sean, in your situation I'd try to have a face-to-face chat with you hotel receptionist, who is likely to speak English, and see whether they cannot call you a regular metered taxi, as per JP's updated suggestions.

Another option would be to use Uber. Another still would be to make friends with a nearby all-night cafe, go there for a spot of early breakfast on your day of departure, and ask them to call you a cab. Such establishments may have a higher chance than daytime gaffs of being run by non-French, who may have a higher chance of speaking English.

In general, my best advice for future reference would be to book an airport hotel on the night of your departure - you can still stay in the city until the evening, stowing your luggage where you've been staying previously and picking it up after dinner to take either an evening train or a taxi out to the airport, from your hotel at which you can then take a leisurely stroll out to your hotel the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe