Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 02:56 PM

39 posts, read 39,936 times

Advertisements

Traveling as a family, wife, 3yr, and 5yr olds, arriving in Paris, 10pm at night..

Hotel is across the street from Galliene train station.

I am thinking Taxi, due to the lateness of the arrival and difficulty traveling as a family..

NEVER EVER having taken a taxi in my life.. well, looking for input and suggestions.

i.e. are they safe, tips for taking one, what to look out for, how to handle it, ect, ect?

Regards,

Sean P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 03:39 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Public transportation in Paris is safe. If you have concerns about safety or mobility with luggage, there are buses, shuttles, and taxis but the RER train is the cheapest option.
http://www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/c_21879/visiting-paris/

They have fantastic public transport:
How to get from Charles de Gaulle airport to Paris city centre <<< all explained here, with prices

You can take the train:
Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG) to Paris by Train - Paris by Train

But so late at night, taxi is probably the easiest option. Cost around 60 euros. Paris Taxi service from both airports is safe and excellent. Do you speak French? Many drivers don't speak English so you may find it useful to have your destination address written on a piece of paper.
Since March 1, 2016 taxi drivers are required to charge a fixed rate for trips to and from Orly and Charles de Gauller airports. Drivers are no longer able to charge fees for each piece of luggage, or an airport fee, but the taxi is authorized to charge an additional fee of 4€ for each passenger above 4. There is also and additional fee of 4€ to call a taxi for immediate departure and 7€ for an advance reservation.

Last edited by elnina; 03-22-2016 at 03:49 PM..

Old 03-22-2016, 04:45 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Yep take a taxi that late and with kids. In addition to the written address - know what arrondissement the address is in and what streets it's near.

Once you're settled, the metro is easy and an experience. You can buy packets of 10 tickets at a time which will be somewhat less expensive than single tickets. Plus there are different deals online or once there that include transit and museums or activities for x number of days. That wasn't something we opted for but it works for many people.

Enjoy your time!

ETA - safety - I mostly took metro plus we had a car for a day or so (not advised). We did take a couple taxis and found them to be safe and fair. No scams for us.

Important - learn to say bonjour and merci. Say bonjour every time you enter an establishment of any kind - restaurant, hotel, museum, pharmacy, crepe stand. Say merci when you get service and when you leave. Everyone will be greeting you and they'll appreciate it if you make the effort to follow that hospitable custom. Don't worr about your accent. You'll learn that bonjour is more round and juicy than most non French speakers say it.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:19 AM

39 posts, read 39,936 times
haha, outstanding info!!

thank you both!

REALLY, REALLY appreciated! TAXI it is, and my research shows should be 60-70€ but good extra info on whats allowed and not allowed!

We are taking 200€ from the states to hold us over.

Any info on how else to exchange money while in Paris is appreciated!

Regards,

Sean P

Old 03-25-2016, 01:45 PM

994 posts, read 1,237,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Price View Post
NEVER EVER having taken a taxi in my life.. well, looking for input and suggestions.
A few pointers.

Depending on where you are in the world, taxis can take many different forms. In Paris, they are just regular saloon cars, painted a sort of sickly cream colour.

They nearly always have four doors plus a trunk. Any larger items of luggage should be put in the trunk, while you and your family should travel in the main section of the taxi along with the owner of the taxi.

Even if you feel that you are an excellent driver and very rested after your flight, you should allow the owner of the taxi to drive, as he will feel that this is part of his job, and that he has not given you the service you will have paid for if he allows you to drive yourself.

Generally, meals are not provided.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:42 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,610 times
Since you don't speak French, do speak English loudly. The French like to hear English spoken, so that they can learn new vocabulary.

Make sure to wear a baseball cap and athletic shoes everywhere, so they'll immediately know you're from the States.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:50 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Since you don't speak French, do speak English loudly. The French like to hear English spoken, so that they can learn new vocabulary.

Make sure to wear a baseball cap and athletic shoes everywhere, so they'll immediately know you're from the States.
The older Americans all wore Canadian sweat shirts and pants (the big Maple leaf was so hilarious, I had to laugh).

I actually dress down and simple (nice jeans with a solid color shirt or sweater and urban sneakers or loafers) that the French were surprised I was American since my pose is different (maybe visiting France almost every year has an effect on me)?

Old 03-26-2016, 05:48 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
The older Americans all wore Canadian sweat shirts and pants (the big Maple leaf was so hilarious, I had to laugh).

I actually dress down and simple (nice jeans with a solid color shirt or sweater and urban sneakers or loafers) that the French were surprised I was American since my pose is different (maybe visiting France almost every year has an effect on me)?
Yep, you're special.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:43 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,944 times
Not really.

Contrary to popular belief, not every Parisian dresses like a super model nor wear designer clothes everyday!

Most cannot afford them, so they dress simply with tailored clothes and nice city sneakers (tennis shoes that are slimmer and sleek looking with dark or neutral colors) shoes. Women do not wear heels everyday, they wear boots, flats, and city sneakers.

The big tennis shoes worn by the bus load of American seniors are only worn when playing sports or exercising.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:21 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
sean ATMs are readily available. Most travel sites recommend only using ATMs of reputable banks and with a card reader that has working lights. The slot has a mini marquee that flashes. You can find info online about exchange rates and fees.

Something else to consider is to let your credit card company and bank know that you'll be traveling between certain dates. That way, if they see unusual charges they won't freeze your account. I've seen a number of sad vacationers because of that.

Assuming you'll have a cell phone and/or tablet with you. You might want to look into downloading the Ulmon app for Paris. If you get it before you leave it'll still work and navigate offline when you're in Paris. It can be useful if you get disoriented or just want to double check where the closest metro is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe