Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 10:03 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,432 times

Advertisements

BTW Canada

I have seen a picture of the prime minister of Canada Justin Trudeau. He posed with his naked torso.
He could learn from the Muslims to shave his armpits

Old 04-02-2016, 10:19 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Ariete is right regarding non- EU internal migration, which is protected within the EU (not just the Schengen region). Still, each country has its own residence and work rules for this type of migration.
No. The vast majority of immigration in Europe is from within Europe.

So you cannot look at immigration in Europe while excluding Europe. That is like looking at immigration in the U.S. and excluding the Americas and Asia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Perhaps you are confusing tourism visits from visa-waiver countries (only) with the right of free movement under the EU Constitution.
No, I am not confusing anything. The vast majority of immigrants in European nations are from Europe. Most countries in Europe are under Schengen or aligned with Schengen. That means that most of Europe has "open borders" essentially, for most immigrants.

Take Germany. In Germany 15 of the top 16 countries of origin for immigrants are in Europe. The only exception is Syria (and even Syria is basically open immigration due to Merkel, as long as they declare themselves refugees).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Germany

Germany is absolutely dominated by immigration from within the continent. Many of these countries are under Schengen. In fact the #2 country is Poland and #3 country is Italy. Both Schengen countries, with open immigration.

And a few of the European countries that aren't Schengen were open immigration anyways. German peoples were allowed to immigrate to Germany following the collapse of Communism. Millions arrived in the 1990's, basically without restriction.

The U.S. does not have any open immigration with any country on earth. It doesn't even have preferred countries for immigration anymore. In contrast, most European nations have open immigration to their primary immigration sources. So obviously Europe, speaking generally, is far more open to immigrants than the U.S.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:35 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,556,365 times
I think you Europeans are largely ignorant of immigration situation here in US.

Our system is a joke.

And there are no strict rules about it either.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:49 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westaroeal View Post
I am liberal and I think immigration is important to help keep the economy going.

But I think the unvetted immigration being carried out by Europe and Canada are causing too much harm.

Muslims have a stereotype of being lower class and being criminals, their children often falling far behind Indians/East-Asians at assimilation/integration and being a model minority. They end up in ghettos similar to the Pakistani/Bangladeshi ghettos found in America.

I think the world needs to be more restrictive with immigration requirements. They could easily copy the USA, who forcibly restricted/reported many Pakistanis in the late-2000s, and thereby saved themselves the troubles that have rocked Europe.
Canada has strict criteria about Mulim immigration, currently. They're only taking families.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:54 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,814,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I think you Europeans are largely ignorant of immigration situation here in US.

Our system is a joke.

And there are no strict rules about it either.
And so are you Americans about our immigration situation and yet you keep blattering about it non-stop

Old 04-02-2016, 12:59 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,556,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
And so are you Americans about our immigration situation and yet you keep blattering about it non-stop
Isn't it strict in Europe??

What am i wrong about??

Here we have sanctuary cities that don't even follow the law!!

We are a big joke

Old 04-02-2016, 01:01 PM

324 posts, read 467,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yes, the U.S. has very strict immigration laws. Probably the strictest laws among first world nations.

A country can have loose immigration laws and few immigrants or strict immigration laws and many immigrants. The # of immigrants isn't necessarily related to the relative strictness of immigration law (obviously).
They may be strict compared to other countries that people aren't moving to en masse, but they are not strict in relation to the sheer number of people who want to move to the US. They are too lax given the circumstances.

Let me repeat the number: over 42 million foreign born residents.

The laws in place are not enforced anyway

Old 04-02-2016, 01:09 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_u_a_wizard View Post
They may be strict compared to other countries that people aren't moving to en masse, but they are not strict in relation to the sheer number of people who want to move to the US. They are too lax given the circumstances.

The laws in place are not enforced anyway

And where is the problem with the 42m foreign born residents? The overwhelming majority of them are working and contribute to the U.S. prosperity.
The 42m are about 13-14% of the population. That's very similar compared to major European countries.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:36 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_u_a_wizard View Post

And let me repeat: this number has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the U.S. has strict immigration laws.

The U.S. could have a billion immigrants and very strict laws, or 0 immigrants and totally open borders. I'm not sure why you don't get that immigration isn't just a function of regulation, but of relative demand.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:01 AM

20,327 posts, read 19,914,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westaroeal View Post
I am liberal and I think immigration is important to help keep the economy going.

But I think the unvetted immigration being carried out by Europe and Canada are causing too much harm.

Muslims have a stereotype of being lower class and being criminals, their children often falling far behind Indians/East-Asians at assimilation/integration and being a model minority. They end up in ghettos similar to the Pakistani/Bangladeshi ghettos found in America.

I think the world needs to be more restrictive with immigration requirements. They could easily copy the USA, who forcibly restricted/reported many Pakistanis in the late-2000s, and thereby saved themselves the troubles that have rocked Europe.
USA strict? Seriously?

Check out our southern border and the states of CA, AZ, NM and TX.

You want strict, try crossing into Canada and setting up shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe