Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 01:14 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
41% of immigrants to the U.S. have at least a bachelor's degree from their home country. Only 23% haven't completed the equivalent of a K-12 education.

Immigrant Higher Education Facts

And the immigrants to the U.S. who have the least education are old immigrants. So grandma comes over from wherever, because her kids/grandkids are here. She's probably not working anyways.

Yeah, there are plenty of uneducated immigrants, but it isn't accurate to say they are generally uneducated. Immigrants tend to be educated and highly upwardly mobile. And young immigrants tend to have the same education levels as native-born Americans.
You need to be more precise in your speech. The statistic refers to legal immigrants. The whole thing falls apart when all immigrants are included.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:21 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You need to be more precise in your speech. The statistic refers to legal immigrants. The whole thing falls apart when all immigrants are included.
The vast majority of U.S. immigrants are legal.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:26 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westaroeal View Post
I am liberal and I think immigration is important to help keep the economy going.

But I think the unvetted immigration being carried out by Europe and Canada are causing too much harm.

Where on earth do you get the idea that "unvetted immigration" is higher in Canada than in the US? Having lived in both countries, I've never seen any indication - including my own US naturalization ceremony - that US immigration policy is stricter than Canada's. In fact, after almost 20 years here, I'd say US immigration policy is far less demanding or "unvetted."

Legal immigration through a family reunification policy, for example, is much more common in the US than in Canada. To be honest, I have been surprised by the low education/low skill levels of people (friends' family members are examples) allowed to immigrate to the US only because they have family here. Family reunification to Canada, in comparison, is much more difficult to attain. My parents, aunts and uncles in Canada tried, unsuccessfully, to bring my dad's niece and her two sons to Canada from the UK after she was left a widow at the age of 27 and had no other family remaining there. They tried years later to bring her sons to Canada after she died and left them orphans, aged 18 and 14. Immigrants to Canada must meet strict educational and economic requirements, and, sometimes, that really sucks.

This paper explains the differences clearly:
http://sites.nationalacademies.org/c...pga_152160.pdf

Moderator cut: FYI, this thread was posted by a multiple times banned racist troll, that's why it's closed. I'm not posting in it in order not to bump it back up. Yac

Last edited by Yac; 04-07-2016 at 07:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe