Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 03:58 PM

324 posts, read 467,413 times

Advertisements

if anything people should visit Europe ASAP before things get worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 04:20 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_u_a_wizard View Post
if anything people should visit Europe ASAP before things get worse.
Indeed, in the Europe and the U.S.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:17 PM

36 posts, read 26,964 times
To what I understand, the European countries which haven't experienced terrorist attacks, have very low muslim presence, and are free from migrants surge, are Iceland, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Switzerland, and Portugal (no Balkan and Mediterranean countries). Maybe Ireland can join the rank. These countries encompass sizable part of Europe and EU (Switzerland excluded). It most probably safe to travel to these countries. There should be no danger of impending terrorist attacks in Lisboa, Prague, Krakow, Helsinki, Tallinn, etc. IMHO these cities can be enough attractive tourist destinations.
The way recent posters to this thread talk sounds like these countries are utterly out of consideration as part of Europe. There are many countries in Europe other than UK, France, etc.

Are there so many Americans who think the above ex-communist countries are not part of Europe still in the sphere of strong Russian influential power? or they are not up to their standards as worth-considering attractive tourist destinations?

Old 04-14-2016, 07:26 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,814,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoshmeant View Post
To what I understand, the European countries which haven't experienced terrorist attacks, have very low muslim presence, and are free from migrants surge, are Iceland, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Switzerland, and Portugal (no Balkan and Mediterranean countries). Maybe Ireland can join the rank. These countries encompass sizable part of Europe and EU (Switzerland excluded). It most probably safe to travel to these countries. There should be no danger of impending terrorist attacks in Lisboa, Prague, Krakow, Helsinki, Tallinn, etc. IMHO these cities can be enough attractive tourist destinations.
The way recent posters to this thread talk sounds like these countries are utterly out of consideration as part of Europe. There are many countries in Europe other than UK, France, etc.

Are there so many Americans who think the above ex-communist countries are not part of Europe still in the sphere of strong Russian influential power? or they are not up to their standards as worth-considering attractive tourist destinations?
Switzerland doesn't have low Muslim presence, they are about 5-6% of the population. Aside from that, why did you exclude Mediterranean countries, they are also countries with mostly low Muslim presence (aside from Spain with 5%, Montenegro and Albania which are secularized anyway) and which have never been on the receiving end of terroristic attacks (with Spain once again the exception).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
This summer was originally planned to be a Budapest/Vienna/Munich trip but after the events of the past year it's now an Oslo/Bergen/Copenhagen trip. Not that I necessarily think I'm any less at risk of terrorism but I just don't want to be caught in the midst of the refugee situation there and Norway and Denmark are quite a bit farther removed from the epicenter.

I did live in Spain in 2007 for a semester. My parents didn't really want me to go because of what happened in 2004, but not once did I feel unsafe in Madrid or elsewhere... The same could be said of NYC post 9/11.
You are simply overblowing how things are, the refugee situation doesn't effect anyone except the refugees who are actually involved and maybe the citizens living on the Greek-Macedonian border where the migrants seem to have been stopped.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:31 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
You are simply overblowing how things are, the refugee situation doesn't effect anyone except the refugees who are actually involved and maybe the citizens living on the Greek-Macedonian border where the migrants seem to have been stopped.
Not according to a ton of reports I have read from many different places in Europe.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:19 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
Not according to a ton of reports I have read from many different places in Europe.

From where? Fox news? Neo-nazi sites? The refugees 'invading' are 0.2% of the total population. That would mean 810k people in the US. These are the facts.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:50 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
From where? Fox news? Neo-nazi sites? The refugees 'invading' are 0.2% of the total population. That would mean 810k people in the US. These are the facts.
From that reply it's obvious you are a liberal which tells me it won't matter where I tell you where I get my news from.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:07 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,017,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
I don't think you understood what I meant by that. I should have worded it better.

And even if I did mean it it the way that you probably assumed that I did, my answer would be no. There is nothing far fetched about what I have said. If you want, I will bump this when Paris or London gets attacked in the next year.
And I will do the same when there is a terrorist attack or a nutter goes around indiscriminately shooting people this year in the US.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:27 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post

Maybe, maybe not. I just go based on what I see on BBC and listen to on NPR. I'll take what they say over an anonymous poster who I don't even know. For a while trains were completely stopped and stations were absolutely flooded with migrants. Maybe it's selfish of me but I want to actually enjoy a vacation, not have to deal with stuff like that and feel guilty about touring a country while other people around me are struggling. If I wanted to go on a humanitarian aid trip I would do that, probably to a third world country though and not Europe. This is a vacation for me and I want it to be fantastic. At some point I had to make a decision and I chose to go elsewhere in Europe. Things seem to have settled down since but it appears it could still flare up any time depending on whether Turkey is going to keep up its end of the bargain, and I don't at all regret changing my itinerary.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:34 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
From that reply it's obvious you are a liberal which tells me it won't matter where I tell you where I get my news from.
Seems like someone got busted

"Mimimi... Damn liberals!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe