Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 01:07 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I just go based on what I see on BBC and listen to on NPR. I'll take what they say over an anonymous poster who I don't even know. For a while trains were completely stopped and stations were absolutely flooded with migrants. Maybe it's selfish of me but I want to actually enjoy a vacation, not have to deal with stuff like that and feel guilty about touring a country while other people around me are struggling. If I wanted to go on a humanitarian aid trip I would do that, probably to a third world country though and not Europe. This is a vacation for me and I want it to be fantastic. At some point I had to make a decision and I chose to go elsewhere in Europe. Things seem to have settled down since but it appears it could still flare up any time depending on whether Turkey is going to keep up its end of the bargain, and I don't at all regret changing my itinerary.
TRains did stop and stations and what was outside of there were flooded but that was in the relatively short height of the crisis which lasted for all of last summer. After borders have started closing, EU has agreed a deal with Turkey the number of arrivals to Greece are sharply falling and such situations don't occur anymore. I think the closing of the Macedonian border is more key than the EU-Turkey treaty though, the situation improved when ex-Yugo countries closed their borders, that's not to say that migrants won't find a way to get it but it slowed the influx of people

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
From that reply it's obvious you are a liberal which tells me it won't matter where I tell you where I get my news from.
This is probably the confirmation you get your news from those websites plus the Daily Mail. You called Ariete a liberal when he is a centrist (well, come to think about it in Europe liberals are centrists)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 08:58 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,473,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post

(well, come to think about it in Europe liberals are centrists)
Yes, they are.

I check all news sources. I like to look at both sides and try to find some truth in the middle somewhere.

Example For US news outlets:

CNN shows hoards of mild mannered refugees hungry, tired, and pitiful looking. Woman and small children.

Fox shows hoards of refugees storming borders. Violence. Hostility. Young to middle aged men all perfectly healthy.

I have a few sites on FB I follow that are in Europe and none of their posts shed any good light to what is going on over there. Britain First, Generation Europa...that's two I can think of at this moment.
Either way, the crisis/invasion is real and changing the face or European culture. No?

Old 04-18-2016, 09:17 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
Haha... The facebook pages of Britain First and Génération Identitaire? i assume you get your domestic news from the Facebook page of the KKK?

Old 04-18-2016, 09:25 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,473,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Haha... The facebook pages of Britain First and Génération Identitaire? i assume you get your domestic news from the Facebook page of the KKK?
I'm shocked at that reply. Yes, that was sarcasm.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:08 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoshmeant View Post
To what I understand, the European countries which haven't experienced terrorist attacks, have very low muslim presence, and are free from migrants surge, are Iceland, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Switzerland, and Portugal (no Balkan and Mediterranean countries). Maybe Ireland can join the rank. These countries encompass sizable part of Europe and EU (Switzerland excluded). It most probably safe to travel to these countries. There should be no danger of impending terrorist attacks in Lisboa, Prague, Krakow, Helsinki, Tallinn, etc. IMHO these cities can be enough attractive tourist destinations.
The way recent posters to this thread talk sounds like these countries are utterly out of consideration as part of Europe. There are many countries in Europe other than UK, France, etc.

Are there so many Americans who think the above ex-communist countries are not part of Europe still in the sphere of strong Russian influential power? or they are not up to their standards as worth-considering attractive tourist destinations?

It's much safer to travel to countries like France, Germany, Spain or the UK, than travelling to countries in Eastern Europe or travelling to the U.S. Just because of much fewer fatalities in traffic-accidents.

Some people seem to be unable to judge different kinds of risks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe