Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Luxembourgish should be made one of the official languages of the EU?
Yes 2 12.50%
No 14 87.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 06:03 PM

990 posts, read 1,944,855 times

Advertisements

Well, Irish (aka Irish Gaelic) and English are official, national languages of Ireland, and are both official EU languages as well, even though practically all Irish-speakers also can speak English 100% fluently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 06:05 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillax View Post
Yes, so it is. As people living in Hamburg (Germany) are called Hamburger, no kidding nor April fool !!!!
Yes, because "hamburger" has a different meaning in German. The same way someone from Berlin is called Berliner, or someone from Cologne, in German Koeln, would be a Koelner, and from Frankfurt - Frankfurter.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:06 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
Frankly, I don't think it should be an official language of the EU.

It really is just a Moselle Franconian dialect that is considered a separate language for political reasons. The main reason I'm against it is that they'd have to translate every single piece of legislation into Luxembourgish. Funnily enough, Luxembourg's laws itself aren't even available in Luxembourgish or German. French only. So, the EU would have to spend a lot of money on something they haven't even done themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes, because "hamburger" has a different meaning in German. The same way someone from Berlin is called Berliner, or someone from Cologne, in German Koeln, would be a Koelner, and from Frankfurt - Frankfurter.
The meaning of "hamburger" is exactly the same in German. It means "someone or something from Hamburg" just like in English.
A Hamburger could be this or this. A Berliner could be this or this. A Frankfurter could be this or this (well... technically only in Austria ). And so on.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:15 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
My question is, if extremely closely related languages like Swedish and Danish, or Czech and Slovak, can be official, seperate EU languages, then why can't Luxembourgish?
Interesting question. People from Sweden, Norway and Denmark speak to each other in their own language, as a rule, but that doesn't imply that they are fluent in the language of the people they are talking with.

By the way, danish and norwegian are the closest in vocabulary and grammar. Swedish is more different than the other two in that regard.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:17 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Hamburger in Denmark is cured or smoked ham in America.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:42 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
The meaning of "hamburger" is exactly the same in German. It means "someone or something from Hamburg" just like in English.
A Hamburger could be this or this. A Berliner could be this or this. A Frankfurter could be this or this (well... technically only in Austria ). And so on.
Hamburger: https://sipa.s-palvelut.fi/?url=http...c895fe6beff35e
Berliner: http://www.liisanleipomo.fi/images/k...ininmunkki.jpg

Frankfurters are simple normal 'nakki', instead we have Warsaw and Krakow sausages.

Old 04-02-2016, 04:06 AM

990 posts, read 1,944,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Interesting question. People from Sweden, Norway and Denmark speak to each other in their own language, as a rule, but that doesn't imply that they are fluent in the language of the people they are talking with.

By the way, danish and norwegian are the closest in vocabulary and grammar. Swedish is more different than the other two in that regard.
All true. But a Standard German speaker will not understand much of someone speaking Luxembourgish as its not mutually intelligible, so that is further from Standard German, than Danish is from Swedish.

Luxembourgers however can speak Standard German also because they learn it in school, but the languages are not intelligible (as I have been told by Germans).

Question to German speakers: If its said that Luxembourgish is just a Moselle Franconian (Moselfränkisch) dialect that is a language for political reasons, can't it also be said then that Dutch is just a Low Franconian (Niederfränkisch) dialect that also is a language for political reasons?

Old 04-02-2016, 11:56 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillax View Post
Because Swedish, Danish, Czech, Slovak are national and official languages from different countries. You cannot ask Danish people using Swedish, or Czech peopel using Slovak, and vice versa, in an EU meeting, even if these languages are extremely closed each other.
It's not the case of Luxembourg where they recognize French and German as their national and official language, so their official language is already on the list of the EU official language.
It will be like that unless one date the Luxembourgers decide to require the EU to register Luxembourgish as an EU official language. However, it can add a considerable budget to cover the interpreter's fees for all EU meetings and translation' fees of all EU official documents, which is the last thing that the European people would need in this actual economic situation !
Wonder what does Jean-Claude Juncker think of that?
Well he most likely would be in favour considering that he's from Luxembourg

Old 04-02-2016, 03:33 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Frankly, I don't think it should be an official language of the EU.

It really is just a Moselle Franconian dialect that is considered a separate language for political reasons. The main reason I'm against it is that they'd have to translate every single piece of legislation into Luxembourgish. Funnily enough, Luxembourg's laws itself aren't even available in Luxembourgish or German. French only. So, the EU would have to spend a lot of money on something they haven't even done themselves.

The Germanic base of Luxembourgish is the same Mosel-Frankish dialect that is spoken in the Sued Eifel. French has been infused since Napoleon took Luxembourg. The cadence is similar to Dutch.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:54 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
All true. But a Standard German speaker will not understand much of someone speaking Luxembourgish as its not mutually intelligible, so that is further from Standard German, than Danish is from Swedish.

Luxembourgers however can speak Standard German also because they learn it in school, but the languages are not intelligible (as I have been told by Germans).

Question to German speakers: If its said that Luxembourgish is just a Moselle Franconian (Moselfränkisch) dialect that is a language for political reasons, can't it also be said then that Dutch is just a Low Franconian (Niederfränkisch) dialect that also is a language for political reasons?
My first encounter with a native, in the Grand Duchy, was a woman. I wanted to know if I was on the correct road to Echternach after some confusing signs. I attempted to say the town name with a German ch & she laughed & said "You must speak English. Don't worry, we can't pronounce that the way the Germans do. We call it eshternock." I heard many people in Luxembourg & the Eifel laugh that "the 'Germans' can't understand us." I heard Dialekt & Luxembourgish many times. One of my grandfathers came from the Sued Eifel & I look like that side. If people didn't hear me speaking to my traveling companion I was approached in the local language 100% of the time during 2 trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe