Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2016, 12:26 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
I like it.
Not in my taste, really. But I understand where they are coming from.

Quote:
But I wouldn't call it quite distinct. Because you find similar dressed people in Germany for example.
Yes. But there is no surprise to that, because Germany ( and Germans) don't come across as one monogamous entity. They have both very "Nordic" and "Southern" twist to them, so this would be reflected in their style of clothing. Some would head into "Nordic" direction of style, and some - to almost Italian))) ( Not quite of course, but getting half-way there))))

Quote:
But you also find much more badly dressed people in Germany. It seems way easier to find good examples for how Danish people are dressed, than it would be for Germans. The differences in German clothing styles seems to be much larger.
Yes, that's what I've noted above. And this is for a reason, including those who don't care about clothes/disregard it all together or don't have sense of style.

Quote:
It often depends on the educational background. It's often easy to conclude from the fashion style to the type of school the wearer has attended.
Again - yes.
Out of all Europeans I found Germans to be the closest to Russians in this respect ( and not only). So different yet so similar in a strange twisted way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 01:08 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
I think such views apply to a country as such, most of all its politics, not so much to individual citizens there. I can only speak for myself, but there are few things I like about the US, basically comedy programs and AA music from decades ago, the Appalachian scenery, and the more optimistic and pragmatic approach of many US-Americans, compared to Germans for instance.

The weird thing is that although I like little about the US, I like even less about Germany these days

Old 04-11-2016, 01:07 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think such views apply to a country as such, most of all its politics, not so much to individual citizens there. I can only speak for myself, but there are few things I like about the US, basically comedy programs and AA music from decades ago, the Appalachian scenery, and the more optimistic and pragmatic approach of many US-Americans, compared to Germans for instance.

The weird thing is that although I like little about the US, I like even less about Germany these days
you shouldn't, go to [LEFT]Neuschwanstein Castle and you'd change your mind. As to liking the US go to Sleeping beauties castle in Disney land California or the new Hogwarts castle in Universal studios[/LEFT]

Old 04-11-2016, 01:32 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Quote:

Where are you from??

Old 04-11-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Where are you from??
obviously a self hating-German by the looks of it

Old 04-12-2016, 05:50 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
obviously a self hating-German by the looks of it
To the contrary, I really like myself, but for the person I am, not for happening to belong to any ethnic group. I don't identify with any country or ethnic group. I find it really odd when people put as if someone has to identify with, like, and defend where she or he happens to be from...

Old 04-12-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
To the contrary, I really like myself, but for the person I am, not for happening to belong to any ethnic group. I don't identify with any country or ethnic group. I find it really odd when people put as if someone has to identify with, like, and defend where she or he happens to be from...
that is a good thought process. But still, Germany is a beautiful industrialized country with the most magnificent castles in the world. what's not to like

Old 04-12-2016, 03:00 PM

324 posts, read 467,869 times
Quote:
You are implying that the country and ethnic group that you come from have nothing to do with who you are as a person.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:58 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_u_a_wizard View Post
You are implying that the country and ethnic group that you come from have nothing to do with who you are as a person.
you are implying being from a certain ethnic group and feeling belonged to that group is the same thing.

Not liking the ethnic group one is from doesn't equal "self-hating" either. People here lack basic logic.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:27 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,771 times
I really haven't come across any Germans that don't like Americans (and I live in Germany). They are quite vocal about things they like and don't like about Americans/USA, but they are that way with everything. Frankly, I like this about them. They are "straight-shooters" (generally speaking cuz you can't paint a large group of people with too broad a brush). I extend the same freedom of speech to others as I would insist for myself. I think many people (no matter what nationality) can get defensive when they hear something negative about their country - even if it is mixed in with complimentary opinions. Living free means having to hear what you don't like as well as what you do like (or even apathetic to).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe