Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2016, 10:13 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,280,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
That's actually too bad. Germany would be a much better place with more nationalism.

Like anything, too much or too little is a bad thing. You need a modicum of nationalism. You don't want to be crazy/fascist like Hitler/Putin nor do you want to be self-hating, embarrassed of country like too many "progressives".
Seriously, you're saying you want the Germans to be more nationalistic?

They are not happy with the way some things are going and they blame themselves. That seems healthy to me as long as you're working to make it better and not just whining about it.

Delusion is better? I see a whole lot of delusion and revisionist history about the good old days from too many "conservatives".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 11:34 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Seriously, you're saying you want the Germans to be more nationalistic?
Yes, absolutely. A more nationalistic Germany is a much healthier Germany.

Germans have been more nationalistic of late, especially since the WC victory. This has been a great thing, IMO. Twenty years ago people never waved the German flag. Now it's common.

Again, SOME nationalism is a good thing. Places like Belgium with no nationalism are at risk of collapsing. Places with too much nationalism, like Russia, are dangerous and aggressive. There's a happy medium.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
As Orwell once said, nationalism is the worst enemy of peace. And this is confirmed by nationalist countries such as Russia and the USA being the most militarly active countries and having started the most wars in the last decades. Nationalism is something that must be erased and patriotism something which can be encouraged
Patriotism is a form of nationalism. They are essentially the same thing.

And Russia and the U.S. are involved in world affairs for completely different reasons. The U.S. is involved because it's the world's hegemon and the West depends on it to act. Russia is involved because Putin needs it to maintain power.

Essentially the U.S. is "too strong" so needs to intervene while Russia is "too weak" so needs to intervene.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:00 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Patriotism is a form of nationalism. They are essentially the same thing.
That's what Russians are taught today, basically. That "nationalism" is a good thing, and there is no difference between "nationalism" and "patriotism."
( Which would be unheard of twenty years ago, because clearly - it's two different things.)

Quote:
And Russia and the U.S. are involved in world affairs for completely different reasons. The U.S. is involved because it's the world's hegemon and the West depends on it to act. Russia is involved because Putin needs it to maintain power.

Essentially the U.S. is "too strong" so needs to intervene while Russia is "too weak" so needs to intervene.
Both are involved in the world affairs for the same reason - both are global powers, both have global interests ( although for different reasons.) Putin is just a current leader; Russia was a global power long before he showed up in a picture.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:16 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
that is a good thought process. But still, Germany is a beautiful industrialized country with the most magnificent castles in the world. what's not to like
Sure, there are nice parts like in most countries. Iran is also beautiful.
But frankly, I find castles kitschy. I don't have a tourist mentality. Other things are infinitely more important to me, like the general mentality of a people, the music, the sense of humor, the way they treat each other, all things that can vary quite a bit from people to people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_u_a_wizard View Post
You are implying that the country and ethnic group that you come from have nothing to do with who you are as a person.
Not much, no. I think I have become rather untypical of my ethnic group, not least thanks to living in different countries for a long time. That puts things into perspective and makes you realize how irrelevant ethnicity really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_u_a_wizard View Post
lol not liking your own ethnic group is just called "sad"
I wouldn't say that I don't like it, I simply don't like it more than others. To me it's sad when people are made to believe they have to like wherever they came from just because they came from there.
It's like with people. I don't really like my father, although many people take for granted that family members like each other. I think that is an absurd expectation. Liking something or someone is very conditional in my view. If someone or something is not to my liking, so be it. There is no kinship bonus that makes me ignore things I don't like and that I would criticize with other ethnic groups or people.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:52 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sure, there are nice parts like in most countries. Iran is also beautiful.
But frankly, I find castles kitschy. I don't have a tourist mentality. Other things are infinitely more important to me, like the general mentality of a people, the music, the sense of humor, the way they treat each other, all things that can vary quite a bit from people to people.

Not much, no. I think I have become rather untypical of my ethnic group, not least thanks to living in different countries for a long time. That puts things into perspective and makes you realize how irrelevant ethnicity really is.

I wouldn't say that I don't like it, I simply don't like it more than others. To me it's sad when people are made to believe they have to like wherever they came from just because they came from there.
It's like with people. I don't really like my father, although many people take for granted that family members like each other. I think that is an absurd expectation. Liking something or someone is very conditional in my view. If someone or something is not to my liking, so be it. There is no kinship bonus that makes me ignore things I don't like and that I would criticize with other ethnic groups or people.
your implying that German sense of humor is lacking and the music no good.

read and learn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_humour

Old 04-14-2016, 03:58 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

I hear you.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:06 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
your implying that German sense of humor is lacking and the music no good.

read and learn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_humour
Not lacking, but I don't know any German programs like The Office or Big Bang Theory, for instance.
German TV is horrible, frankly. Or soap operas, German ones are decades behind Brazilian ones and appear unprofessional to me. Not to mention that I hate to hear that forced High German dialect that is usually used.

In terms of music I am also American. The music that I like is either rarely made in Germany or simply copied from Americans.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:09 PM

German TV is pretty bad, except for news programs and documentaries. German music is better, though.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:53 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
who cars you manufacture cars, make good news, and build good roads with a nice scenery and anti-military foreign policy. I know the shows and movies are pretty bad but if Germany implements a film-tax credit like the UK they'll take even more movie production from the US like the soul sucking Canada has done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe