Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2016, 01:29 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,335,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
@svenM

What you wrote about the AFD is extremely biased. Many if not most of their voters have strong anti-American sentiments. A good portion of their voters are people with a Russian immigration background. Many of them get their information from Russian propaganda broadcasts.
I don't think that that many persons with Russian immigration background live in Germany to explain the success of the AfD, do you have any source for your claims? I can only speak for myself and the AfD voters that I know personally, about half a dozen, have no anti-american sentiments, neither do I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 04:43 AM

18 posts, read 20,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
I don't think that that many persons with Russian immigration background live in Germany to explain the success of the AfD, do you have any source for your claims? I can only speak for myself and the AfD voters that I know personally, about half a dozen, have no anti-american sentiments, neither do I.
Exactly, even though there are some Russian Germans voting for AFD during the last elections, this cannot explain the party's success. Russian Germans are a particularly small minority in those areas where the AFD had most of its succcess, e. g. Saxony Anhalt where they got 24 percent. Mostly, it is due to other reasons.

Of course, several German politicians and especially the media identified Wladimir Putin and Russia as a scapegoat and blamed him to be responsible for AFDs success, just as for many many other current problems in Europe. Blaming another country is, of course, much easier than looking at own mistakes.

Especially the success of AFD can to a certain extent be traced back to the exagarated and sensationalist media coverage regarding the mass sexual abuse taking place in Cologne last new years eve (which was mainly due to serious incompetence of the local police). It had been one of the main media topics during the pre-election-period. Mass media created an image of Germany as a failed state totally out of control being ruled by refugee thugs. However, despite some problems in this regard Germany is still a very safe place and all these stories where totally exaggerated. Of course, such sensationalism pays well for mass media.

After months of sensationalist media coverage, many people really thought they live in such a failed state and lots voted for AFD. After these results, German mass media pretended to be quite shocked asking: How could this happen? Answer: It must have been the fault of the evil Russian man sitting in the kremlin. Putins and Russias fault, of course

Old 04-24-2016, 04:44 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Obama is protested heavily

And keep in mind that he's the probably most likeable US president in modern times

Old 04-24-2016, 11:40 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,335,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quisa View Post
Exactly, even though there are some Russian Germans voting for AFD during the last elections, this cannot explain the party's success. Russian Germans are a particularly small minority in those areas where the AFD had most of its succcess, e. g. Saxony Anhalt where they got 24 percent. Mostly, it is due to other reasons.

Of course, several German politicians and especially the media identified Wladimir Putin and Russia as a scapegoat and blamed him to be responsible for AFDs success, just as for many many other current problems in Europe. Blaming another country is, of course, much easier than looking at own mistakes.

Especially the success of AFD can to a certain extent be traced back to the exagarated and sensationalist media coverage regarding the mass sexual abuse taking place in Cologne last new years eve (which was mainly due to serious incompetence of the local police). It had been one of the main media topics during the pre-election-period. Mass media created an image of Germany as a failed state totally out of control being ruled by refugee thugs. However, despite some problems in this regard Germany is still a very safe place and all these stories where totally exaggerated. Of course, such sensationalism pays well for mass media.

After months of sensationalist media coverage, many people really thought they live in such a failed state and lots voted for AFD. After these results, German mass media pretended to be quite shocked asking: How could this happen? Answer: It must have been the fault of the evil Russian man sitting in the kremlin. Putins and Russias fault, of course
Well, Germany was close to a failed state in 2015, hundreds of foreigners rioted in a major city under the eyes of the police that did nothing. Imagine this to happen in a place like San Francisco, what do you think would be the reaction if two thousands Mexicans (nothing against Mexicans, just as an example) would have sexually harassed and ropped hundreds of American women at a central place in San Francisco and the police witness it but do nothing? Not to mention hundred thousands of people who entered the country unindentified, possibly thousands of Jihadists among them.

Germany is a safe place in rural areas, but not in several major cities and the common citizen is left defenseless, Americans can protect themselves with guns at the most places, Germans can not.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:30 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Things are not as great in Germany as many believe from the outside looking in... at least this is what was shared during my visits...

The biggest concerns across the board are youth employment... both Grandparents and Parents expressed this... some of the kids have university degrees and some not...

Seemed the most concern in my circle is from those in Northern Germany... production moving to lower cost countries... imports of cheap goods from Asian Countries... etc.

Now my friends in and around Salzburg Austria expressed fewer concerns... most work in the trades... plumber, electricians, mechanics, etc., with several still tied to farming...

Also want to point out that the older people... as in very old, have just about all good things to say about America and Americans... how the US helped to rebuild Germany and how for decades supported Berlin, etc... I heard so many times how "An Uncle in America" kept the family going after WWII...

Again... the only two areas where I have experienced strong opinions are politics and environmental with the second often being uninformed... the advances and pioneer environmental accomplishments the occured in the US are often unknown or under reported... especially in the automotive area... the same that were telling me of the VW group clean diesel and such... now are not so outspoken...

As to politics... I think just about all of Europe was smitten by President Obama... strangers in the street were congratulating me that the US has finally had the courage to elect a Black Man...

I have noticed a definite change in my circles... not nearly as much cheering now that the President has a record in office...

Old 04-24-2016, 12:35 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Things are not as great in Germany as many believe from the outside looking in... at least this is what was shared during my visits...

The biggest concerns across the board are youth employment... both Grandparents and Parents expressed this... some of the kids have university degrees and some not...

Seemed the most concern is from those in Northern Germany...

Now my friends in and around Salzburg Austria have fewer concerns... most work in the trades... plumber, electricians, mechanics, etc...

Also want to point out that the older people... as in very old have just about all good things to say about America and Americans... how the US helped to rebuild Germany and how for decades supported Berlin, etc...

Again... the only two areas where I have experienced strong opinions are politics and environmental with the second often being uninformed...

As to politics... I think just about all of Europe was smitten by President Obama... strangers in the street were congratulating me that the US has finally had the courage to elect a Black Man...

I have noticed a definite change in my circles... not nearly as much cheering now that the President has a record in office...
Exactly!!

Do you remember all the global cheer when he won the election

As Donald said accurately everyone thought he'd be a great cheerleader for US and potentially for the world.

2 terms later his record says otherwise.

He's been a negative force for US.

Globally i'd say it's mixed.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Exactly!!

Do you remember all the global cheer when he won the election

As Donald said accurately everyone thought he'd be a great cheerleader for US and potentially for the world.

2 terms later his record says otherwise.

He's been a negative force for US.

Globally i'd say it's mixed.
Shortly after the election I traveled to Germany for a friends wedding in Bavaria.

After the ceremony all gathered for a celebration at the town Gasthaus... Being the only American just about everyone I spoke with were exuberant over President Obama... even the parish Catholic Priest who I had a nice chat with.

The priest went on to say in great detail why this marked a turning point for America and that he could not be happier... he just kept going and going... finally he mentioned that I had not said much.

I responded that it was much too early for me to have any opinion and he would need to ask me in a few years... I do believe many that projected their thoughts and desires on the President have had to rethink and I can understand why.

The other part that was overwhelming is the part about the first Black President... no one seems to remember his mother is white...

Old 04-24-2016, 03:31 PM

18 posts, read 20,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
Well, Germany was close to a failed state in 2015, hundreds of foreigners rioted in a major city under the eyes of the police that did nothing. Imagine this to happen in a place like San Francisco, what do you think would be the reaction if two thousands Mexicans (nothing against Mexicans, just as an example) would have sexually harassed and ropped hundreds of American women at a central place in San Francisco and the police witness it but do nothing? Not to mention hundred thousands of people who entered the country unindentified, possibly thousands of Jihadists among them.

Germany is a safe place in rural areas, but not in several major cities and the common citizen is left defenseless, Americans can protect themselves with guns at the most places, Germans can not.
I know there were problems like this last year, but rioting has always been happening from time to time in German cities, such as the yearly labour day riots in Berlin and Hamburg or riots of Neonazis in the 90s in Rostock or the riots of hooligans in Cologne last year...just to name a few. There are some problems with crime in major cities, many of those crimes commited by migrants or descendants of migrants. However, these problems are way more prevalent in almost all other countries in the world, maybe with the exception of several east asian countries, Austria, Switzerland or Luxemburg. Even Scandinavian countries have more problems in this regard.

And of course, riots occure much more frequently in the US than in Germany, just last year there were some serious issues in Baltimore or in Ferguson the year before. Or could you imagine the reaction of the public in Germany if there was any riot comparable to the Rodney-King-riots in LA in the early 90s, where 55 people got killed within several days. Something comparable never happened in Germany after the end of WW2.

Or could you imagine the public reaction in Germany, if there were parts of cities where teenagers shoot each other on a daily basis? Compared to US ghettos even the worst areas in Germany are quite safe.
Dont get me wrong, there are serious problems in Germany and, of course, a country has to protect its borders and to make sure to know who is crossing the border. Germany has many other problems and it is definately not a role model country. I just mean, that in terms or law and order most other countries face problems that are even more serious.

I agree with you on the issue that Germans should be allowed to carry guns in order to protect themselves, though.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:43 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Obama is protested heavily

And keep in mind that he's the probably most likeable US president in modern times
Obama isn't protested. TTIP is and rightfully so. It's a deal the citizens nor the parliamentarians sitting at the European Parliament know and is still being secretly negotiated. It's a treat which could be passed on both sides without the citizens' consent although i can easily imagine there being a referendum in all memeber countries

Quote:
I agree with you on the issue that Germans should be allowed to carry guns in order to protect themselves, though.
That would only create the opposite effect, the commercialization of arms only widens the gap between well off areas and struggling working class (be they ethnic or not) neighbourhoods where the birth of an arms culture would create only harm leading to a rise in crime, starting from the murder rate.

Last edited by improb; 04-24-2016 at 03:53 PM..

Old 04-24-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Or could you imagine the public reaction in Germany, if there were parts of cities where teenagers shoot each other on a daily basis? Compared to US ghettos even the worst areas in Germany are quite safe.
Dont get me wrong, there are serious problems in Germany and, of course, a country has to protect its borders and to make sure to know who is crossing the border. Germany has many other problems and it is definately not a role model country. I just mean, that in terms or law and order most other countries face problems that are even more serious.
I'm writing from ground zero as many have said... East Oakland California and have hosted many European visitors... a lot of them students.

They are fascinated by Oakland and often feel a little disappointed on the crime front... specifically it was nothing like they had been led to believe... these are kids that take BART and Buses for most places if they can't bicycle or walk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe