Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2016, 04:09 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Things are not as great in Germany as many believe from the outside looking in... at least this is what was shared during my visits...

The biggest concerns across the board are youth employment... both Grandparents and Parents expressed this... some of the kids have university degrees and some not...

Seemed the most concern in my circle is from those in Northern Germany... production moving to lower cost countries... imports of cheap goods from Asian Countries... etc.

Now my friends in and around Salzburg Austria expressed fewer concerns... most work in the trades... plumber, electricians, mechanics, etc., with several still tied to farming...

Also want to point out that the older people... as in very old, have just about all good things to say about America and Americans... how the US helped to rebuild Germany and how for decades supported Berlin, etc... I heard so many times how "An Uncle in America" kept the family going after WWII...

Again... the only two areas where I have experienced strong opinions are politics and environmental with the second often being uninformed... the advances and pioneer environmental accomplishments the occured in the US are often unknown or under reported... especially in the automotive area... the same that were telling me of the VW group clean diesel and such... now are not so outspoken...

As to politics... I think just about all of Europe was smitten by President Obama... strangers in the street were congratulating me that the US has finally had the courage to elect a Black Man...

I have noticed a definite change in my circles... not nearly as much cheering now that the President has a record in office...

I guess your visits to Germany were a long time ago? 10 years ago unemployment was indeed a big issue in Germany and parents and grandparents were worried about whether their chlldren and grandchildren will get an apprenticeship. But today Germany has the lowest youth unemployment rate in the developed world. Businesses are struggling to find apprentices.
Employment in manufacturing is rising, not shrinking.

Older people have often a more positive view of the U.S. than younger ones. But that definitely depends on the region. Regions where American soldiers were deployed have more favorable views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 06:59 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,578 times
I am not native German, only intending to move to Germany next year and make it to my homeland, so maybe my opinion does not count, but nevertheless... I for one do have a strong dislike of the USA and the reason is the following: it is the birthplace of most (if not all things) that are destructive for any healthy society, and particularly for European societies. Hollywood, gangsta rap subculture, trashy TV, political correctness, wars of aggression that create refugees we have to deal with, the nuclear threat and countless other things - all of it comes from the USA. The never ceasing hostility of the USA and Russia/USSR has almost put the whole world, not just Europe, at the brink of destruction.

Germany used to be the nation of poets and thinkers, the home of Bach, Beethoven, Wagner - the best music the world has ever seen. And now when I am there, I sometimes see things like a "Thug for life" graffiti scribbled on a wall, or the "minorities" (=blacks) banging on a drum and dancing around a bonfire of burning car tires. Both the graffiti/rap and the PC ideology that requires us to accept the above mentioned drum-banging minorities are American inventions, having been imposed on Germany during the last several decades the country has been under the US control. Can you see now why a German has reasons to dislike the USA?

Old 04-26-2016, 07:12 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
I think most of them are seeing us as scapegoats and channeling their anger towards that.

Not that i think we don't have any faults in these issues.

Most of people here hate this kind of stuff you mentioned like gangster subculture or hollywood...etc.

But being angry with us won't solve your problems.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I think most of them are seeing us as scapegoats and channeling their anger towards that.

Not that i think we don't have any faults in these issues.

Most of people here hate this kind of stuff you mentioned like gangster subculture or hollywood...etc.

But being angry with us won't solve your problems.
Well, Europeans also partly share the blame for accepting all this with little resistance. As for whether being angry will solve our problems... maybe not. But once anger reaches a certain boiling point, it moves people to action. And if enough people get a motivation to actually get up and do something against their problems, instead of grumbling to themselves while staring at the TV, then we are a step closer to solving them.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:55 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,699,775 times
Did u ever just not care what people think of u?
That's how I feel about the whole of Germany..... I simply don't care what they think of the US... Whether they like it not...who cares?

Old 04-26-2016, 08:41 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
I am not native German, only intending to move to Germany next year and make it to my homeland, so maybe my opinion does not count, but nevertheless... I for one do have a strong dislike of the USA and the reason is the following: it is the birthplace of most (if not all things) that are destructive for any healthy society, and particularly for European societies. Hollywood, gangsta rap subculture, trashy TV, political correctness, wars of aggression that create refugees we have to deal with, the nuclear threat and countless other things - all of it comes from the USA. The never ceasing hostility of the USA and Russia/USSR has almost put the whole world, not just Europe, at the brink of destruction.

Germany used to be the nation of poets and thinkers, the home of Bach, Beethoven, Wagner - the best music the world has ever seen. And now when I am there, I sometimes see things like a "Thug for life" graffiti scribbled on a wall, or the "minorities" (=blacks) banging on a drum and dancing around a bonfire of burning car tires. Both the graffiti/rap and the PC ideology that requires us to accept the above mentioned drum-banging minorities are American inventions, having been imposed on Germany during the last several decades the country has been under the US control. Can you see now why a German has reasons to dislike the USA?

Nonsense post, its a shame you weren't moving to Germany 80 years ago you would have fitted in quite nicely with the Nazi party.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:15 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,975,106 times
Political correctness, graffiti, gangsta rap, trashy TV? If anything is wrong in the world, blame America. But whatever you do, don't take any responsibility for your own problems!

Old 04-26-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Nonsense post, its a shame you weren't moving to Germany 80 years ago you would have fitted in quite nicely with the Nazi party.
Sure. Back then I would have real weapons to fight against the Pax Americana.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:46 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,771 times
Quote:
Sure. Back then I would have real weapons to fight against the Pax Americana.
You are already at a great disadvantage when you move to Germany. Your thinking, your great exaggeration/concept of the facts - and paranoia - already have you at odds with the German culture and thought. You may just want to immigrate to Russia and start to work for Putin instead. I suspect you already are.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:52 PM

324 posts, read 467,869 times
Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe