Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 06:25 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Like what exactly? What have the 'Americans' come up with that is so damaging to people in Germany?? Cold loveless, hedonistic and self-absorbed, perceiving other people as merely a nuisance!? Could be describing the Nazis there couldn't you? Or do you blame the holocaust on the 'Americans' too!
Like all the things that I have mentioned above. And with your second-to-last statement you have pretty much proved what I also said earlier: that for the American perception German equals Nazi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 07:46 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Like all the things that I have mentioned above. And with your second-to-last statement you have pretty much proved what I also said earlier: that for the American perception German equals Nazi.
Almost no one in the U.S. thinks this.

WW2 ended over 70 years ago. Almost no one is even alive from that era, of if they were alive they were too young to understand anything.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:55 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,578 times
Well, then why the need to bring up Nazis every time Germany is mentioned?

Old 04-27-2016, 08:00 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Not at all, that's just my perception of you, I based my opinion on your posts. I want to know exactly what it is the 'Americans' are supposed to have done culturally that's so terrible? For example your rant about 'trash TV'. TV isn't an 'American' thing it wasn't even invented in America, why do you blame them for 'trash' TV? Have you seen some of the 'trash' TV out of Europe or Japan (or anywhere else for that matter)?

Old 04-27-2016, 08:03 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Unbelievable!!

Their view is almost like Muslim countries

Which countries don

So disappointed to see this.

And i don't know maybe now it's even worse.
It's mutual. I rarely meet a German that I like. I find them opinionated and superior.

But that's here in the US, among those with a German accent. It could be that the language doesn't translate well, so the words used come across as brusque.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:12 AM

291 posts, read 277,572 times
Germans only seem rude because Americans are used to obsequious customer service and ritualized small talk.
The premise of the thread and subsequent discussion seem absurd. Germany is a great place to visit as an American. I have traveled to Germany every year since 1999 and have never encountered any problems or even rude comments from simply being an American. I've encountered more anti-American sentiment in Canada of all places. Although... I am a super cool dude in a German kind of way and my real name is very German sounding. It may as well be Max Mustermann. I've always wondered if that is why I've been treated pretty well in Germany.

Last edited by King Harold; 04-27-2016 at 09:02 AM..

Old 04-27-2016, 09:15 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It's mutual. I rarely meet a German that I like. I find them opinionated and superior.

But that's here in the US, among those with a German accent. It could be that the language doesn't translate well, so the words used come across as brusque.

Superior??

At what??

I agree we are too PC so it seems like that.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:41 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
Germany is the most Americanized place in continental Europe as the country was rebuilt and occupied by the Americans for 50 years. If you're moving to Germany to escape American style "societal rot" you are probably going to be disappointed.

It's absurd to say that Germany was rebuilt by Americans. That's ridiculous. The achievement of the U.S. was that it protected West Germany for the Soviet Union. American soldiers were deployed in Southern Germany (Bayern, Hessen and parts of Baden-Württemberg). Those regions aren't more Americanized than Northern or Western parts of West Germany.
The German society and the mentality of Germans differ strongly from the U.S. or Americans. It's astonishing but the mindset of the people in East Germany (the part that was occupied by the Soviet Union) has more similarities with the mindset of Americans.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:51 AM

291 posts, read 277,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
It's absurd to say that Germany was rebuilt by Americans. That's ridiculous. The achievement of the U.S. was that it protected West Germany for the Soviet Union. American soldiers were deployed in Southern Germany (Bayern, Hessen and parts of Baden-Württemberg). Those regions aren't more Americanized than Northern or Western parts of West Germany.
The German society and the mentality of Germans differ strongly from the U.S. or Americans. It's astonishing but the mindset of the people in East Germany (the part that was occupied by the Soviet Union) has more similarities with the mindset of Americans.
I simply disagree. Germany is very Americanized and language differences aside, a very large percentage of Americans would feel more comfortable and familiar in Germany than anywhere else in continental Europe. The average German mindset is not really much different than that of an average American. Even tastes in food, clothing, interests and hobbies are quite similar.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:56 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Did u ever just not care what people think of u?
That's how I feel about the whole of Germany..... I simply don't care what they think of the US... Whether they like it not...who cares?

I have the impression that this mindset is not uncommon among many Americans. It's strange, because Americans have the reputation for being patriotic. Patriots are normally interested in improving the own country. And therefore it's important to know what people around the world thinks about the own country. That doesn't mean that you have to implement things that people from other countries suggest. But it's always a good idea to hear various opinions and think about it.

As a German, I'm always interested what other people think about my home country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe