Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 11:19 AM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
I was born in Kaiserslautern Germany and return to Germany every summer for almost two decades, generally via Frankfurt. The past four years I have spent the entire summer in Germany, spending most of my time in Neukölin Berlin. Of course there are significant, obvious differences but I do think Germany is the most "Americanized" place in continental Europe. I mean where else would be... France? Holland? Austria? Switzerland? Poland? Nah. Even the UK I feel is only going to feel familiar to Americans from Boston, and even then, not so much. Although I am from the midwest, and probably people from California or Hawaii or the Southeast are not going to find Germany, or anywhere in Europe very America-like. I suppose in generalizing, I have made the mistake of assuming all Americans are like me. There's probably at least twelve different distinct "Americas."
I lived both on the West and East Coasts, and I did live in the Midwest for quite some time already. The area where I live was predominantly populated with communities of German/Scandinavian background.
I have to admit that this area feels "the most European" to me, and probably "German" somehow too.
I talked once to Russian exchange students, who lived/studied in different parts of America, they've noted the same thing. They thought that local ppl were different comparably to the rest of places.
In fact I almost recognize by now right away people born and raised in this area, the "locals" so to speak. And I knew right away that Walker was not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 11:21 AM

291 posts, read 277,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Maybe the differences between the U.S. and Germany are smaller than the differences between the U.S. and other continental European countries. But the differences are still huge.
Especially the mindsets seems so different to me. Americans seem to be more competitive, immodestly, indirect. Seems to have less community spirit. The parenting style is so different. Germans are less noisy, get not so easily offended.
Germans don't like that so many foodstuff taste so sweet. Germans normally wear athletic shoes for sport activities but not in their free time. Wearing sweat pants is still seen as inappropriate. German exchange students are mostly shocked when they see how their American peers dress. Clothing is mostly oversized and shorts with hoisted long white socks, that looks so terrible.
The differences between Germany and all other European countries are negligible when compared to the differences to the U.S.
Although I agree with many of your points, I guess in general, we will remain in disagreement. Especially on dress. Each year I travel to Germany, I am more astounded by how similar Germans dress to Americans. In fact, I consider that one of the main topics where tourist guidebooks are totally off base. They recommend dressing up a bit too much for a trip Germany, as if Germany was Paris. Finally, if you were to get dressed up in the manner of how Americans do to go to clubs, you would not even get through the door in most Berlin clubs. (I do realize that perhaps Berlin is not representative of Germany in this regard)

I can't say the same for France, UK or Italy where they have very specific trends in casual wear that are not really found anywhere in the USA. I find the German "style" much more like American style than it is like UK style. In regards to your shorts comment, outside of Germany, that is how you spot a German tourist too. If an adult is wearing shorts, they are either German, Australian, Canadian or American.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:26 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
Do Germans have a positive view of Trump because of his German roots?
No, absolutely not. Some extreme right-wingers (AFD or Pegida supporters) have probably a positive view of Trump. When I remember correctly Rumsfeld had also German roots, he was also extremely hated in Germany. The overwhelming majority of Germans don't like the Republicans in general.
I tink well informed Germans would vote for Sanders. Less informed people probably for Clinton.

I absolutely don't like Hillary Clinton. Not because of her points of view, but because of her gestures, so disgusting. I perceive Hillary Clinton as extremely unlikeable. Trump is an idiot. I would prefer Sanders or Kasich.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:26 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,336,095 times
Quote:
No, absolutely not. Some extreme right-wingers (AFD or Pegida supporters) have probably a positive view of Trump. When I remember correctly Rumsfeld had also German roots, he was also extremely hated in Germany. The overwhelming majority of Germans don't like the Republicans in general.
I tink well informed Germans would vote for Sanders. Less informed people probably for Clinton.

I absolutely don't like Hillary Clinton. Not because of her points of view, but because of her gestures, so disgusting. I perceive Hillary Clinton as extremely unlikeable. Trump is an idiot. I would prefer Sanders or Kasich.
You are a leftist, your point of view is not represantative either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
I am not native German, only intending to move to Germany next year and make it to my homeland, so maybe my opinion does not count, but nevertheless... I for one do have a strong dislike of the USA and the reason is the following: it is the birthplace of most (if not all things) that are destructive for any healthy society, and particularly for European societies. Hollywood, gangsta rap subculture, trashy TV, political correctness, wars of aggression that create refugees we have to deal with, the nuclear threat and countless other things - all of it comes from the USA. The never ceasing hostility of the USA and Russia/USSR has almost put the whole world, not just Europe, at the brink of destruction.

Germany used to be the nation of poets and thinkers, the home of Bach, Beethoven, Wagner - the best music the world has ever seen. And now when I am there, I sometimes see things like a "Thug for life" graffiti scribbled on a wall, or the "minorities" (=blacks) banging on a drum and dancing around a bonfire of burning car tires. Both the graffiti/rap and the PC ideology that requires us to accept the above mentioned drum-banging minorities are American inventions, having been imposed on Germany during the last several decades the country has been under the US control. Can you see now why a German has reasons to dislike the USA?
Why do you then want to move to Germany? It will rather get worse than better, maybe Austria is the better Germany. Don't get me wrong, Germany would have less trouble if all immigrants had your mindset but I think Germany will face a lot of problems in the near future, that several eastern Europe countries will not face, I would favor Austria over Germany, its culture and history is as rich as the German and they speak the same language, it's virtually the same country, only cleaner and better.

Last edited by svenM; 04-27-2016 at 12:45 PM..

Old 04-27-2016, 03:23 PM

376 posts, read 489,702 times
Quote:
I have the impression that this mindset is not uncommon among many Americans. It's strange, because Americans have the reputation for being patriotic. Patriots are normally interested in improving the own country. And therefore it's important to know what people around the world thinks about the own country. That doesn't mean that you have to implement things that people from other countries suggest. But it's always a good idea to hear various opinions and think about it.

As a German, I'm always interested what other people think about my home country.

Americans tend to have a more isolationist (with its attendant individualism, unilateralism, etc.) largely because of geography. We have not had a genuinely threatening land neighbor for most of our nation's history. Mexico to the south has spent much of its history as a chaotic despotism, and Canada has been demographically outweighed from the outset. In addition, many of the American settlers were some of the more ambitious (and also trouble-making) people in their home countries, and carried this disposition (and perhaps even genes) with them - for instance the 'Scots-Irish' border raiders who colonized tidewater and Appalachia, and later Tennessee, Missouri, Texas, etc. A recent very good and accessible treatment of this pattern can be found in Colin Woodard's "American Nations". In any case, you should also examine your own assumptions as a German. I mean this in a constructive way, of course.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:36 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:

Same here in Italy. The Northern League has voiced support for Trump but their voters constitute only 13% of Italians according to recent polls. Aside from them, Sanders and Clinton are the candidates that are looked most favourably. Either way, a politician such as Trump would have more chances in Europe than KAsich or Cruz simply because he's more populist and is a social leaning conservative instead of being a liberist one.

The way i see it, Sanders is the best choice. After that, Kasich is the only half decent candidate but the idea of seeing Trump in charge of the USA has grown up on me because of his seemingly isolationalist ideas, that would affect us positively. His (perceived) incompetency and negative could cause economical damage in the USA who could then spread to Europe but that's something which i see happening in the longer run

Old 04-27-2016, 03:52 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Quote:

Kasich is basically Hillary of GOP.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:16 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
Maybe the differences between the U.S. and Germany are smaller than the differences between the U.S. and other continental European countries. But the differences are still huge.
Especially the mindsets seems so different to me. Americans seem to be more competitive, immodestly, indirect. Seems to have less community spirit. The parenting style is so different. Germans are less noisy, get not so easily offended.
Germans don't like that so many foodstuff taste so sweet. Germans normally wear athletic shoes for sport activities but not in their free time. Wearing sweat pants is still seen as inappropriate. German exchange students are mostly shocked when they see how their American peers dress. Clothing is mostly oversized and shorts with hoisted long white socks, that looks so terrible.
The differences between Germany and all other European countries are negligible when compared to the differences to the U.S.
I had to laugh... one of my exchange students returned to Bavaria and brought back some white gym socks... his Father threw them out saying not in his house... not sure what that was all about.

As to sweat pants... one of my friends who is normally a jeans sport coat guy in Silicon Valley for work was on holiday in Germany wearing sweat pants... I asked him if he had anything else to wear.. and he said he was on vacation and then asked why... I told him people were asking me why he was walking around town in sleeping clothes...

You can always tell the Americans at the lakes swimming because they have the oversize board shorts while many German men have Speedos...

The sweets comment is very true... frosting isn't nearly as popular in German as it is here... then again... one of my exchange students returned with her family last year for a visit... her two boys fell in love with Donuts and wondered why something so good is only in America?

I tend to feel the most at home in Austria and Bavaria... don't get me wrong... I like places like Hamburg too... it's just Austria seems to take more time for Gemütlichkeit...

Old 04-27-2016, 06:33 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
In my opinion, Germany is the best country in Europe by far. Perhaps our relationship could improve once Trump is nominated

Old 04-27-2016, 06:45 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
In my opinion, Germany is the best country in Europe by far. Perhaps our relationship could improve once Trump is nominated
Haha, good luck with that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe