Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 09:32 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times

Advertisements

Edeka- largest German supermarket-
https://www.edeka.de/homepage.jsp

WalMart- Largest U.S. supermarket-
Walmart.com: Save money. Live better.

If you compare prices, there is almost no difference. The U.S. might be slightly cheaper, but they are about the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 09:34 AM

291 posts, read 277,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Are people in this thread daft?

Where in the U.S. are groceries even 2x the price of groceries in Germany? Yet you agree with drro that groceries cost 5x more in the U.S., on average? Huh?

You could shop in the fanciest Manhattan grocery stores, and an apple still won't cost 5x that of the most grim fruit stand in rural Eastern Germany.

I think it's fair to say that C-D threads will always have contrarians, no matter how silly the point. If I claimed Mars was made out of swiss cheese I'm sure I would get some support.
Groceries are 2x the price of Germany in DC and NoVA. I would be willing to bet they are 1.75x the price of Germany in VT, CT, ME, PA, ND, SD, MN, MT and upstate NY.

Not all groceries are 5x but some things certainly are, such as blueberries, like I stated in my first post on the subject.

That said, it could be that my diet is just stuff that is cheap in Germany and expensive in the USA. I don't ever prepare meat at home, thus I have no idea how much say a pound of hamburger costs in the USA or Germany.

Last edited by King Harold; 05-03-2016 at 09:42 AM..

Old 05-03-2016, 10:00 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
i'll give you one reason, its called..........WW1 and WW2!!!!

Old 05-03-2016, 10:07 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
At 81 mil pop. I wouldn't call Germany a powerhouse alone, maybe in Europe and globally through EU/Eurozone (to a certain degree). I'd say the US, China or even India(emerging) are powerhouses. Germany lacks the population, in fact has an aging population, hence why it's been admitting immigrants(some of them even raping local women). It's in the news. Germany needs extra labor. In a few decades you won't even see classic Germans anymore. As for being a Math powerhouse: Geometry was invented in ancient Greece, and algebra I believe is Arabic. You need to get off the high horse.

Ancient Greeks/Romans lived in slavery times? I thought the first invented/developed democracy? What are you talking about?

It's where the original ideas came from that counts, not who refined them.. definitely many did not come from Germany. Check the Antikythera mechanism and its significance.

The reason American troops are in Germany is because of history lessons from the past. Germans are credited with the worst atrocities in human history(some argue the Russians too), so that necessitates American military presence. If Germany is a powerhouse, they should kick all foreign troops out(yeah right).

Germany and Russia, sorting out their differences and uniting? What are you smoking? Me thinks it's you that needs to read some history. You sound like an Eastern German or some kind of Eastern European / German wannabe.. nothing special about it. Put down the pipe and keep an eye on the Chinese(was reading Germany is being flooded with Chinese products too).
There we go;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5SjPLJOjqc

So what are THEY smoking can you tell me; forget about MY joint)))

Old 05-03-2016, 11:20 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
There we go;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5SjPLJOjqc

So what are THEY smoking can you tell me; forget about MY joint)))
You mean uniting as in the Russians taking over Germany? Still a pipe dream/long shot.. it could be an excuse to keep Germany down(which i think that's what it is).

Old 05-03-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
You mean uniting as in the Russians taking over Germany? Still a pipe dream/long shot.. it could be an excuse to keep Germany down(which i think that's what it is).
Check your tires now.
Haven't you heard what these ppl said?
German technology/capital PLUS Russian resources and manpower, VERY qualified and capable at that, ready to see what Germans have and to come up with suggestions/improvements.
God was saving the Anglos from this potential union so far, but...)))

Old 05-03-2016, 01:30 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Check your tires now.
German technology/capital PLUS Russian resources and manpower, VERY qualified and capable at that, ready to see what Germans have and to come up with suggestions/improvements.
Pipe dream... don't wake up, reality might spoil it..

German technology = see VW scandal.. Russian resources = Smirnoff vodka

Old 05-03-2016, 01:33 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
If we get what we want which is decreased USA presence in the Middle East, North Africa and Europe, i think both of us will finally have more of an advantage, our governments will finally be tasked with having more of an independent foreign policy (they already do but let's face it, the USA has pressured anyone but Germany to enter into useless wars with them, either on their own or on NATO's behalf), on the other side the popularity of the USA government should soar as a result while your own military budget and public debt should decrease

Anyway, why this support for Trump? Also, you know that he contradicts himself every two second? one day he's for abortion and the next one he's against it. I would never vote for him because it looks like he doesn't have a clue and because while i don't want an ideologue, i value coherency and would want someone with a clear political programme. Clinton and Kasich aren't the answer either (especially the former), the only answer would be Sanders but both he and Trump face the same problems (they have a Congress that will fight tooth and nails against them
I bolded whats interesting to me as Im a trump supporter. The left owned mass media wants everyone to think he is a flip flopper its their job to make him look bad but it isnt working. Many of us want someone outside of the establishment to get in and shake things up, Trump is going to do exactly that.. The GOP is going to implode as a party when they steal the nomination from him. Sanders has no clue whats going on, Hitlerly would just be Obamas(worst President in history) 3rd term and doing more of what is not working.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:36 PM

291 posts, read 277,303 times
Quote:
Check your tires now.
The world isn't worrying too much about a German/Russian alliance or even Russians with some German equipment. Russians are smart and capable but like all Orthodox cultures they are lazy and literally hate doing work. Work is equivalent to slavery in a Russian's mind. That is why everything that ever needed to get done in Russia was done by Jews and Asians. Germans are pretty much the exact opposite mindset. They are the living embodiment of the protestant work ethic.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Pipe dream... don't wake up, reality might spoil it..

German technology = see VW scandal.. Russian resources = Smirnoff vodka
Don't tell ME that. Tell that people from Stratfor and other American *think tanks.*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe