Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 09:55 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times

Advertisements

I detest Debit Cards for things like car rentals...

Nothing like have a huge deposit against your money.

I like the convenience of credit cards in Europe...

Often I have run into bait and switch when it comes to dining out at an establishment with the Credit Card logo on the door.

Last summer I took a group of 12 out for dinner in Berchtesgaden and verified my credit card would be accepted...

When it came time to pay the bill I owner told me the machine is broken... I reached in my wallet and handed him my business card and said I would send payment.... miracle of miracles... he went and tried his broken machine and it worked!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 08:23 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,178,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I can't believe you are on CD for 3 years with such a crappy attitude and hatred. I am guessing you get tons of infractions for your nastiness towards others.

You really must despise your last name.

I feel sorry for you and hope that one day you will be happier. Life is too short to be such a ...
haha someone doesn't like facts..

You're shooting blanks like an idiot. You know nothing about me.. so save the crapola.

And on hatred.. Imagine what hatred the Germans had to follow a lunatic who told them they need to annihilate Europe/the world, murder 6 million Jews, cause 80 million deaths, because of superior genes. Get a life kid..

For the record, I'm not Jewish .

Old 05-31-2016, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,011 times
5/31/16

Some Germans are nice/friendly but many are arrogant, unfriendly and bossy but still want your money. That may be the way most "tourist" places are. There's too much emphasis and money being made on Hitler. For sure, the history of the 3rd Reich, just as some American history, should never be forgotten but there's even a book or magazine somewhere with "hip Hitler" in it. Some Germans, mostly women, refused to talk to me when I tried to ask them something, usually about directions. They were very rude. They just looked at me in a mean way. I tried to use the little German I know but they were very rude. One tour guide, a woman did say she understood my German and that made me feel good but a waiter in Marienplatz, Munich, got mad because I wanted money for a tip. I asked him for change for 5 Euroes, about $5.00, and he said "I'm not a bank!" Etc. etc. Even as an older single woman I want to be treated with dignity and respect when I travel. I've heard Germans are mysogynistic, sexist and bigoted but I don't really know if they are or if those descriptions apply to all Germans. I came back early and didn't enjoy myself all that much.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:06 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Toles View Post
a waiter in Marienplatz, Munich, got mad because I wanted money for a tip. I asked him for change for 5 Euros, about $5.00, and he said "I'm not a bank!" Etc. etc.
For what's it worth, I had almost exactly the same experience in both Spain and France: "I'm not a bank."

This would never happen in the US. Europeans like to say they are more courteous than those rude Americans but they could stand to learn something about customer service.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:57 PM

47 posts, read 65,402 times
Lol I thought Americans are mostly of German descent? Maybe Germans are pissed cause despite being German descent, Americans didn't support Germany in WWII

Old 05-31-2016, 09:54 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,015,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusBoss View Post
Lol I thought Americans are mostly of German descent? Maybe Germans are pissed cause despite being German descent, Americans didn't support Germany in WWII
That is a misconception arising from the census practice of separately listing English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish as nationalities, and simply counting as "American" the enormous number of white people whose immigrant ancestors came here so long ago that they no longer have any trace of identification with or attachment to any foreign country, but who are overwhelmingly of British descent.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:51 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
That is a misconception arising from the census practice of separately listing English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish as nationalities, and simply counting as "American" the enormous number of white people whose immigrant ancestors came here so long ago that they no longer have any trace of identification with or attachment to any foreign country, but who are overwhelmingly of British descent.
This isn't true. The U.S. is nowhere close to majority German descent, but has an even lower % of British descent.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:29 AM

985 posts, read 1,854,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
And on hatred.. Imagine what hatred the Germans had to follow a lunatic who told them they need to annihilate Europe/the world, murder 6 million Jews, cause 80 million deaths, because of superior genes.
When Hitler came to power in March 1933 (whereas the last really free elections were in November 1932), the 44% who voted for him certainly did not do so under the intention of "annihilating Europe/the world, murdering 6 million Jews, causing 80 million deaths" (the last figure being too high). The reason why people voted for him were not so much hatred, but hope for a better economy, employment, the Versailles treaty etc.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusBoss View Post
Germans don't care who supported them or not in WWII.
What counts is how other countries treat Germany and the rest of the world today.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Toles View Post
I've heard Germans are mysogynistic, sexist (..) but I don't really know if they are or if those descriptions apply to all Germans.
I never heard of those stereotypes - hilarious! Sorry for not responding to all your short-term experiences - where did you actually travel to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe