Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 08:29 PM

1,052 posts, read 453,184 times

Advertisements

Could be that it's a simple case of being jealous of people similar to you. After all, the most common ethnic background in the US is German. If you look at a map of most common ethnicity by county, there's a German sea going all the way from Pennsylvania, through the entire Midwest all the way to the Oregon and Washington coast. Before WWI, many towns in the midwest had German newspapers and the people regularly spoke German. Only after the war did the ties to Germany become somewhat taboo, and they were entirely buried after the atrocities of WWII.

Many older Germans joke that WWII was really a war between the Germans: the US and the homeland. Then after WWII, those same Germans divided the homeland, occupied it, and played a major role in rebuilding it to become the modern Germany. They have a lot to thank the US for, considering how well they've done after the utter ruin they were in immediately following the war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2020, 07:32 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I have, as an American never heard of the bolded part. Also your entire post is wrong
I've seen several posters on C-D say they won't let neighborhood kids play in their yard. Kids should know better than to trespass on private property, they say.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:27 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,730,962 times
West German "seniors" are pretty regimented and have somewhat provincial ideas about America.

Old 12-14-2020, 02:18 PM

950 posts, read 1,260,628 times
I don't know what Germans views of Americans are. I know that germans have a love for the american wild west or used to And as a texan, many german settlers came to the area, and there are various towns like Rhineland, Muenster, New braunfels and others founded by germans here in the state. Admiral Chester Nimitz was from Fredricksburg the family hotel still stands and part of the Museum of the Pacific is housed there. Maybe it depends on the age of people, don't know. Would like to go there some day, as relatives in Nuremberg keep the family history book.Wouldn't mind going to Hungary either, momma's parents came over from there in 1919,1920.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:39 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Having grown up with German family members, studied in Germany, and known Germans from all walks of life, I find German attitudes towards the US a conundrum, in general, since there is a casual appreciation of various aspects of American life coexisting with an antipathy that is at times, gleeful (schadenfreude) and at times spiteful. In light of a multitude of conversations about cultural differences and international relations approaches of the two countries, I have developed a pet theory about German attitudes towards the US.

Germans are simultaneously dismissive of any notion of national pride, flag waving, etc., yet extremely desirous of being seen as influential and in a regional and global leadership role as a nation, a role that the US has had since the end of WWII. This instills a sense not of a reactionary national pride, as that would be a faux-pas in the contemporary German geist, but instead a direction of their insecurities vis-a-vis international influence through expressions of schadenfreude towards the faults of the current Western world leader, the US.

As the US is in an apparent decline of influence, I think we will see the EU (within which the Germans seek to be in a prime leadership role) and China battling for power in the vacuum left as US influence recedes. Germany's attitude towards the US is simply a reaction to evolving international power balance, much like two people trying to climb a ladder at the same time. One is forced to try to take a foothold on another's body parts.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:01 AM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Having grown up with German family members, studied in Germany, and known Germans from all walks of life, I find German attitudes towards the US a conundrum, in general, since there is a casual appreciation of various aspects of American life coexisting with an antipathy that is at times, gleeful (schadenfreude) and at times spiteful. In light of a multitude of conversations about cultural differences and international relations approaches of the two countries, I have developed a pet theory about German attitudes towards the US.

Germans are simultaneously dismissive of any notion of national pride, flag waving, etc., yet extremely desirous of being seen as influential and in a regional and global leadership role as a nation, a role that the US has had since the end of WWII. This instills a sense not of a reactionary national pride, as that would be a faux-pas in the contemporary German geist, but instead a direction of their insecurities vis-a-vis international influence through expressions of schadenfreude towards the faults of the current Western world leader, the US.

As the US is in an apparent decline of influence, I think we will see the EU (within which the Germans seek to be in a prime leadership role) and China battling for power in the vacuum left as US influence recedes. Germany's attitude towards the US is simply a reaction to evolving international power balance, much like two people trying to climb a ladder at the same time. One is forced to try to take a foothold on another's body parts.

This reminded me of something Ariete posted long time ago...

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/phot...R2_700bwp.webp

Old 12-21-2020, 06:27 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
You're right but America takes some blame as well. I don't understand the pro Russian sentiment of the far right but well they are not the brightest.
Believe me, there is no pro Russia in the far right and if you find that somewhere on the Internet, it would be wildly rare. The far right would just be looking after the interest of the US. The Russia thing is made up by the left run media. The left media in the US is very powerful.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:53 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Believe me, there is no pro Russia in the far right and if you find that somewhere on the Internet, it would be wildly rare. The far right would just be looking after the interest of the US. The Russia thing is made up by the left run media. The left media in the US is very powerful.
Ahhh I was not talking about the far right in America

Old 12-21-2020, 01:37 PM

5,766 posts, read 11,381,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Ahhh I was not talking about the far right in America
I think this might be related to your previous comment.

https://www.dw.com/en/german-far-rig...cow/a-55870521

Old 12-21-2020, 02:35 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Here are some sources with negligible bias, Gallup[1], The Hill[2], and Axios[3]

[1]Overall, we rate Gallup Least Biased based on a consistent track record as a pollster and reporting news with minimal bias. We also rate them Very-High for factual reporting due to using only statistics driven information without opinions.

[2]"The Hill has a print circulation of above 24,000 and is read by opinion leaders, including 100% of Congressional offices, the White House, political pundits, association executives, lobbyists and corporate leaders." The Hill says it provides non-partisan coverage of all factors in legislative decisions.

[3]Axios is a news website launched in 2017 by three journalists who believed a transformation was needed in online media. The motto of Axios is “Axios gets you smarter, faster on what matters.” Information is presented in very brief news articles on subjects such as technology, science, health, environment, politics and sports. Its website logs approximately 11 million visits per month. Ad Fontes Media rates Axios as neutral in terms of bias and as most reliable in terms of reliability.

Of course, I expect most of the above will be dismissed according to the 'Anything that contradicts my indoctrination is liberal lies' principle.

If you are brave enough to keep reading:

40% of Republicans say Russia is an ally or friendly, up from 22% in 2014
25% of Democrats say the same, little changed from 28% in 2014
Among all Americans, 31% say Russia is an ally or friendly to the U.S.

Source: https://news.gallup.com/poll/237137/...ns-russia.aspx

~~~

Polling editor: Increased support for Russia among Republicans is 'disturbing'

In 2014, 22 percent of Republicans said that Russia was an ally, this was from a Gallup poll. That number's now 40 percent," Cannon told Hill.TV's Joe Concha on "What America's Thinking," referring to two Gallup polls on American attitudes toward Moscow.

"The only thing I can think of there is President Trump's constant refrain about the witch hunt and Russia, and conflating these issues has made respondents to this poll, not a trick question exactly, but there's a little bit of 'I have to stick up for my team there. The president is saying we can get along with Russia, OK maybe we can get along with Russia,' " Cannon said.

~~~

Republicans more likely than Democrats to have confidence in Putin

Republicans and Republican-leaning independents are 21 points more likely than Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents (31% vs. 10%) to express confidence in Russian President Vladimir Putin and his actions in world affairs, according to a global Pew survey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe