Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 11:52 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
But this actually underestimates the problem, because something like 35%-40% of births are to immigrants or first generation Germans (when they are only 15% of the overall population). When you do the math the non-German population will dominate Germany within two generations, even if the borders were closed.
I think you are wrong about that. The children of those people with an immigration background but without personal immigration experience are considered native Germans. It would be absurd to calculate the percentage of people with an immigraion background otherwise. If you would do that, then the immigrant population in the U.S. would exceed 99%. What about the Polish immigrants that moved to the Ruhrgebiet in the second half of the 19th century? What about their descendants? Are they still immigrants? Or are they now native Germans? We consider them as native Germans. Everything else would be absurd. Maybe my ancestors 2,000 years ago were Romans from the Roman Empire. Am I know an immigrant?

The culture in all countries and regions around the world is slowly but steadily changing. Cultures are constantly developing further. It's absurd to demand that people have to attend religous parades and to wear traditional costumes forevermore.

Quote:
One of the primary reasons is that people see no point in having children, in part because there is no longer cultural weight placed on continuing the family line and imparting cultural traditions to the next generation. It's an empty life without respect for heritage.
Sorry, but that seems to be nonsense. How would you explain that the Japanese birth rate is so low? There is almost no immigration to Japan and as far as I know the Japanese seem to maintain many of their traditions.

Beeing religious doesn't make people better humans. People cherish values and are compassionate without beeing religious. The Scandinavien countries are among the least religious countries in the world. But they are doing pretty well.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:57 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
Just ironic.funny that it happened in a thread with the title "I'm sick of American conservatives telling us what to do" :roll eyes:
Putting aside the fact I'm not American, not conservative, and not telling anyone what to do, I suspect you have no understanding of the world "ironic".
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
a billion? really?
third world? Syria was doing pretty well until recently and some parts of it are still way above 'third world' level
Yes, a billion. More, actually. Around 1.2 billion in Africa and 400 million in the Middle East. Almost all are poor, including Syria.

And if you think Syria prior to revolution was doing "pretty well" you have VERY low standards. Afghanistan and Switzerland must be, more or less, the same to you.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:04 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,059,668 times
Quote:
Putting aside the fact I'm not American, not conservative, and not telling anyone what to do, I suspect you have no understanding of the world "ironic".

Yes, a billion. More, actually. Around 1.2 billion in Africa and 400 million in the Middle East. Almost all are poor, including Syria.

And if you think Syria prior to revolution was doing "pretty well" you have VERY low standards. Afghanistan and Switzerland must be, more or less, the same to you.
My comment was aimed at the poster from Georgia who was telling Europe not to take any refugees

so all those billion are going to leave their homeland and move to Europe????

Yeh, Syria always looked like a hellhole

Old 04-07-2016, 12:07 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,719 times
Quote:
And "Europe" doesn't want a billion third world refugees. Only Merkel wants this.
Billions of refugees, yeah, of course. Exagerating information will make your opinion very credible.

Btw, a few politicians in my country wanted to welcome as many refugees as humanly possible but our central government did what they pleased in the end, so no, not "Only Merkel" wanted to help.

My people, too, had to flee when times were harsh in my country so many though it was only fair that we now lend a hand to those who are in need.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:10 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Obviously, they are not taking enough in with all of them stuck in Greece. Let Pakistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia, etc take them.
It's a win-win situation for both sides. Europe is surely more capable to help those refugeees to start a new live than Pakistan, Iran or Saudi Arabia. Europe will benefit from the immigration in the medium-term, because of a lack of working age people. Europe is getting more diverse. It's an enrichment. A live without a regular contact to people from many different places would be very boring.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:12 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
Billions of refugees, yeah, of course. Exagerating information will make your opinion very credible.
No, it's hardly an exaggeration; in fact it's an undercount.

There are 1.6 billion people living in Africa and the Middle East, and they are the fastest growing geographies on the globe. Africa alone will have 2.5 billion by the middle of this century.

If only 10% move to Western Europe in the coming decades there will be no more Western Europe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
My people, too, had to flee when times were harsh in my country so many though it was only fair that we now lend a hand to those who are now in need.
This has nothing to do with "lending a hand". In fact Merkel is destroying Syria's future by taking its people.

If your country wishes to "lend a hand" then you can spend megabillions to fix Syria, rather than destroying your country by importing Middle Eastern problems.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:16 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
From what you said, i get that you simply fear this process of secularization then but it's only brought positives into our society such as (almost, for the meanwhile) gender equality, tolerance towards diversity (when it comes to sexual orientation, culture, skin colour, ecc.), more openmindedness, ecc.

So, how do Middle Eastern Muslims, as a whole, feel about gender equality, tolerance towards diversity (regarding sexual orientation, culture, skin color, etc.), open-mindedness, etc.? Europe is importing thousands (millions?) of people whose culture and belief systems are diametrically opposed to the things that you say Europeans consider as positives. And these newcomers, far from passively accepting the cultures of their hosts, are forcefully advancing their own, completely opposite culture. How can Europeans possibly think that this will end well for them?

Old 04-07-2016, 12:17 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,059,668 times
Quote:
No, it's hardly an exaggeration; in fact it's an undercount.

There are 1.6 billion people living in Africa and the Middle East, and they are the fastest growing geographies on the globe. Africa alone will have 2.5 billion by the middle of this century.

If only 10% move to Western Europe in the coming decades there will be no more Western Europe.

This has nothing to do with "lending a hand". In fact Merkel is destroying Syria's future by taking its people.

If your country wishes to "lend a hand" then you can spend megabillions to fix Syria, rather than destroying your country by importing Middle Eastern problems.
There are 1.3 billion people living in China
If only 10% of them move to Europe or America there will be no more Europe or America

is that how the argument works?

Old 04-07-2016, 12:21 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
It's a win-win situation for both sides. Europe is surely more capable to help those refugeees to start a new live than Pakistan, Iran or Saudi Arabia. Europe will benefit from the immigration in the medium-term, because of a lack of working age people. Europe is getting more diverse. It's an enrichment. A live without a regular contact to people from many different places would be very boring.
Ask the people in the Brussels airport and subway, or the Paris theater, or the London underground, or the Madrid commuter trains, or the groping victims in Cologne, if they feel enriched and less bored by the increasing diversity.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:25 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
You can't make this stuff up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe