Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 09:05 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times

Advertisements

This is a bit of a rant but American conservatives think we're tied by a special bond, maybe they still perceive themselves as European because some far ancestor was born in Italy, Poland, Germany or what nowadays is the UK, maybe because he breaks down the world by races (something that doesn't exist) instead of cultures.

The matter is, there aren't any Europeans complaining about how Mexicans, Salvadoreans and such are flooding the USA. The only thing (some, a minority who's interested in politics) Europeans care about when it comes to USA politics is the presidential race but that's because it can have an effect on their own countries due to the USA being the World's Superpower (even though China and Russia are making a name for themselves respectively in economic and military camps)

Old 04-06-2016, 09:09 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Yet you've had no problem telling Americans what to do. Hypocrisy or a just a simple self-blind double standard?

Old 04-06-2016, 09:18 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yet you've had no problem telling Americans what to do. Hypocrisy or a just a simple self-blind double standard?
This thread is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction really but i needed to let it go. I never see left leaning Americans telling us how to act, it's always more conservative ones and what makes angry is that they do with the worst pieces of propaganda and incorrect "facts".

Old 04-06-2016, 09:25 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
This thread is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction really but i needed to let it go. I never see left leaning Americans telling us how to act, it's always more conservative ones and what makes angry is that they do with the worst pieces of propaganda and incorrect "facts".
Europeans tell Americans what to do all day long.

Take a seat.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:26 AM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Americans don't claim to be European. We are a country formed by European culture, law, demographics, religion, values, etc...so we are a subset of European culture which changed over time particularly demographically. If you go back in history, my ancestral history is the same as Europeans in UK & Germany who are not immigrants to those countries.

As far as telling Europeans what to do...that's a joke right? Americans have something approximating zero knowledge about European politics and politicians and don't care. However, I just spent 2 months in Spain and American politics are in the news daily...so I consider your comment just comical.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:31 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
Quote:
This is a bit of a rant but American conservatives think we're tied by a special bond, maybe they still perceive themselves as European because some far ancestor was born in Italy, Poland, Germany or what nowadays is the UK, maybe because he breaks down the world by races (something that doesn't exist) instead of cultures.

The matter is, there aren't any Europeans complaining about how Mexicans, Salvadoreans and such are flooding the USA. The only thing (some, a minority who's interested in politics) Europeans care about when it comes to USA politics is the presidential race but that's because it can have an effect on their own countries due to the USA being the World's Superpower (even though China and Russia are making a name for themselves respectively in economic and military camps)

Conservatives are a fearful bunch don't fret, they think it's their duty to keep everyone in line.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:34 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
The only thing (some, a minority who's interested in politics) Europeans care about when it comes to USA politics is the presidential race but that's because it can have an effect on their own countries due to the USA being the World's Superpower
The only thing that ANYBODY cares about when it comes to politics is whatever has an effect on them personally. By the way, most Americans don't even talk much about American politics. Just to let you know.

(Some might talk about Donald Trump, but that's because he's turned politics into a reality show. Not much else. Donald Trump belongs in Hollywood, not the White House in my opinion.)

Old 04-06-2016, 09:35 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,838,977 times
Quote:
That's because left-leaning Americans would be considered far right extremists by European standards.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:42 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,484,192 times
Hey, a lot of Americans are sick of American conservatives telling them what to do, too!

But I hear you. Our conservative politicians are real big on "American interests abroad," particularly when those interests

1. involve how much money the U.S. can make off you or how cheaply the U.S. can gobble up your consumable goods,

2. whether you have oil below your soil, and

3. if you're a bunch of unchristian heathens who need to be taught about truth, justice and the American way, Bible included.

Note: Item 3 only applies if at least one of the other two items applies. If you happen to be a teenage girl kidnapped and gang-raped in an African nation, you're out of luck because there's nothing to be gained from saving you.

On the other hand, keep in mind that it's mostly politicians going on about this, with the redneck armchair philosophers chiming in on talk radio--and as most Europeans can probably attest, not one of those rednecks knows what really goes on inside another country, if they can even find half the countries they're blathering about on a map.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:48 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,484,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The only thing that ANYBODY cares about when it comes to politics is whatever has an effect on them personally. By the way, most Americans don't even talk much about American politics. Just to let you know.
Really? I guess you don't know what social media is. Good grief.

The problem is that Americans don't really get in-depth news of other countries the way other countries get news of the U.S., unless they deliberately seek it out on the internet or cable--and I don't mean Drudge Report or CNN. I mean media put out by other countries themselves, or programs like VICE that do deep-dives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe