Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 10:42 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I don't go on the America forum so maybe there are europeans opening every two days a topic about gun violence, lack of universal healthcare or the flood of south Americans illegally entering the country ?
Yes, there are.

And a lot of them have opinions on dating and relationships, too, and how American women are just so awful--enough for me to remind a few of them that if they didn't like the women here, they were free to look elsewhere around the globe, including back where they came from.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:47 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
It has nothing to do with "secularization". You are completely confusing culture and belief.

And I also don't believe you live in Italy, a hugely culturally Catholic country, and have never heard of Lent or attending church. That's absurd. Even in countries with tiny observant populations, people have heard of these things.

This has absolutely nothing to do with anything. You, again, are confusing faith and culture, and now are confusing edicts from Rome with the cultural beliefs of peoples.

Religious Catholics in the U.S. are actually politically much more liberal than the U.S. population at large. Has nothing to do with whether or not they are observing Lent or baptizing their children. And the U.S. Catholic population is still very observant, and growing.
I have heard of Lent of course but i have never heard or seen anyone sacrifying anything for Lent, we do respect Christian traditions but really without realizing it, for example several organize a fish based meal every Friday but if you ask them, they tell it's because they have been acting in this way for years and not because of their beliefs.

And no, none of my relatives nor friends regularly attends church, they only do it when baptisms, marriages, funerals and such come around and even then, many prefer waiting outside or simply going straight to the restaurant. I'm not confusing anything, edicts from Rome are religious ones and therefore secularization meant they aren't taken into account in the same way they used to, which means that secularization has brought a positive change in that matter and changed certain aspects of our culture for the better

Catholics in the USA aren't the same as the ones in Italy where they are divided uìin two halves even amongst the clergy. Anyway, you would be surprised at the number of Catholics who only nominally declare themselves as such but then refuse to attend mass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Yes, there are.

And a lot of them have opinions on dating and relationships, too, and how American women are just so awful--enough for me to remind a few of them that if they didn't like the women here, they were free to look elsewhere around the globe, including back where they came from.
Really? I don't see anything on the General US (who i have just given a look to and seems a relocation board no different from the local ones) board about it. I think most of us only really adventure themselves into the Weather, Music, Food (i think, never been there) sections, maybe the Politics and Controversies one but only if our countries are involved in some threads

Can you bring me an example of such threads?

Old 04-07-2016, 10:47 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,059,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
So you are using reverse logic in order to justify allowing people into our country who want to destroy us! As for this happening to Christians, it will one day. Please explain to me why the other Islamic countries don't "welcome" their brothers from Syria? Or, why don't they help re-settle the Palestinians?
Errr, other Islamic countries do take Syrian refugees in large numbers, have you heard of Lebanon and Jordan? Does Turkey count?

Old 04-07-2016, 11:01 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Quote:
So you are using reverse logic in order to justify allowing people into our country who want to destroy us! As for this happening to Christians, it will one day. Please explain to me why the other Islamic countries don't "welcome" their brothers from Syria? Or, why don't they help re-settle the Palestinians?
Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey have taken refugees in large numbers and not only in the camps that were set up around the Syrian and Iraqi borders. Aside from that, they don't want to destroy us, i see that you have probably never seen or lived around Muslims but an overwhelming majority of them are here for work, escaping from cruel regimes, search of a better future, ecc.

By the way, Syria, Lebanon and Jordan did welcome several Palestinians throughout the years to the point that they risked or that it even led them to political turmoil.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:29 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
Errr, other Islamic countries do take Syrian refugees in large numbers, have you heard of Lebanon and Jordan? Does Turkey count?
Obviously, they are not taking enough in with all of them stuck in Greece. Let Pakistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia, etc take them.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Obviously, they are not taking enough in with all of them stuck in Greece. Let Pakistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia, etc take them.
If Europe wants to take them what business is if of yours?

Old 04-07-2016, 11:35 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey have taken refugees in large numbers and not only in the camps that were set up around the Syrian and Iraqi borders. Aside from that, they don't want to destroy us, i see that you have probably never seen or lived around Muslims but an overwhelming majority of them are here for work, escaping from cruel regimes, search of a better future, ecc.

By the way, Syria, Lebanon and Jordan did welcome several Palestinians throughout the years to the point that they risked or that it even led them to political turmoil.
Take off the rose colored glasses- I'm amazed that anyone really still believes they don't want to destroy us. Have you been drinkin Obamas kool-aid?! I'm sure some are sincerely seeking a better life away from their looney tunes leaders, but how do we know who's a good muslim from who's a crazy? Obama doesn't care, as he wants us to become The United States of Islam. I truly feel bad for the good muslims, but they don''t run the show- the crazy leaders do- and THEY do want to destroy us.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:43 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
If Europe wants to take them what business is if of yours?
Obviously people are entitled to their opinions. What business is it of yours to tell them they aren't allowed to have an opinion?

And "Europe" doesn't want a billion third world refugees. Only Merkel wants this.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:47 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
I have heard of Lent of course but i have never heard or seen anyone sacrifying anything for Lent, we do respect Christian traditions but really without realizing it, for example several organize a fish based meal every Friday but if you ask them, they tell it's because they have been acting in this way for years and not because of their beliefs.
Two things-

1. I cannot imagine you have lived in Italy very long if you are unfamilar with Lent and the common cultural practice of Lenten Sacrifice. It is the norm throughout the Catholic, and greater Christian, world, even in totally secular societies.

2. You are, once again, conflating religion and culture. Eating fish on Friday doesn't mean you have a certain religious belief.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Obviously people are entitled to their opinions. What business is it of yours to tell them they aren't allowed to have an opinion?

And "Europe" doesn't want a billion third world refugees. Only Merkel wants this.
Just ironic.funny that it happened in a thread with the title "I'm sick of American conservatives telling us what to do" :roll eyes:

a billion? really?
third world? Syria was doing pretty well until recently and some parts of it are still way above 'third world' level
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe