Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 02:28 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,825,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
what prevents Italy from investing in infrastructure? It is not like all needs to be done is done. Even London keeps adding subway lines and building new skyscrapers.
We are investing in infrastructure, with the Expo two metropolitan lines, the new location of the Fair and highrise clusters were built in Milan. Two metro lines are nearing completion in Roma and two in Naples, Salerno-Reggio Calabria highway has been completed after decades despite geological issues (the area has high seismic risk and the highway that was first build between the 70s and 80s couldn't resist to landslides let alone earthquakes), high speed train lines are popping up all over the country, the city of Rome is gunning for Olympics in 2024, Matera has just gotten the role of European capital of culture in 2019, ecc.

The problem is that whereas in Spain corruption results in overconstruction which then led to the housing bubble, in Italy it usually results on cut on expenses from companies who win a contract. This cut on expenses usually slow down work or force the use of cheaper material which causes higher maintenance costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 02:29 PM

957 posts, read 1,138,097 times
yes, I don't like the fact we are overcrowded, it means housing are more costly, more pollution, more traffic, Spain wins easy on this but I very like Italy has more miles of coast, we're surrounded by the sea and that's a big plus.
While in many parts of Spanish interior you feel isolated from everwhere.
The thing about Italy I like the most is that in so many places you can go swimming in the mornin and skiing in the afternoon as mountains and sea are so close to each other.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:04 PM

570 posts, read 607,263 times
shashesqwanna
Please can you say of what nation you are.
I think would be easier for commenting of these things.-.

I do not know if you visited the green Spain the Northern of .Spain is as in the Northern of Italy also here they are located the most advanced industrial cities .-
For example Oviedo,san Sebastian and Victoria have the broom platinum being the cleanest cities of Spain and perhaps of Europe and Bilbao have a subway designed by Foster a metro perhaps of the internationally best etc etc.
Unfortunately the Spain green is very beatiful but here there is much rains and masses of tourists to go next to the Mediterranean Sea and for this reason this area is therefore less Known outside of Spain-
If you visit this area in the future perhaps you reaffirms their positive ideas around of Spain.-

Old 04-18-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
yes, I don't like the fact we are overcrowded, it means housing are more costly, more pollution, more traffic, Spain wins easy on this but I very like Italy has more miles of coast, we're surrounded by the sea and that's a big plus.
While in many parts of Spanish interior you feel isolated from everwhere.
The thing about Italy I like the most is that in so many places you can go swimming in the mornin and skiing in the afternoon as mountains and sea are so close to each other.
I don't think we are overcrowded, i like having the chance to cycle to the nearest place in 20 minutes and of going to the closest large city in a hour and that's with a bike and in what's considered one of the most heavily agricultural areas of the whole country. I think problems such as pollution can be easily overcome through the implemention of environmentalist policies, stricter standards, ecc. and can be explained with the degree of industrialization of the Northern half of the country (which is where pollutants are most commonly found)

Old 04-18-2016, 03:34 PM

570 posts, read 607,263 times
Back to Ne.-
His contribution with these numbers is very interesting .-

My experiiencie of oppression of people in places like Florence Cathedral never felt in Spain in a place,-I am very agreement with their thread.-.-

Old 04-18-2016, 04:18 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,573,422 times
And i want to say houses are not good in Italy.

Especially in Sicily.

These are not nice you know.

Very small even though they have good lot size.

Equipment is not modern either.

Italy could use a housing reform to set higher standards.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
And i want to say houses are not good in Italy.

Especially in Sicily.

These are not nice you know.

Very small even though they have good lot size.

Equipment is not modern either.

Italy could use a housing reform to set higher standards.
WE don't need large houses who we wouldn't then have the time to clean. All we need are basics, a toilet, a cuisine, a living room and one or two bedroom depending on how large the family is are enough. That said, you can easily find larger houses outside of the historical centers where you probably looked.

If you are looking for housing, i would advice you to ask for help either of a local (in which case, here i am) or to ask a local agency to select properties in which you would be interested with.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:56 AM

847 posts, read 1,183,300 times
High-speed trains are excellent in both countries. Underground is also good, thought I had somewhat antinomic impressions on Naples in this aspect.

I think in Naples' underground they should launch trains more frequently or something... Sometimes there are too much people inside the train, even for a person who got used to it.

And some people in Naples smoke inside the underground (sure, not in the trains, but just waiting for them). Kinda strange tradition, in my humble opinion. In Rome and Milan I didn't have any problems with the underground, it was pretty good.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:07 AM

21 posts, read 25,867 times
In my opinion, I'd say that Italian are more pragmatic, it's true that most of the infrastructure they do have all along the country is getting old, but I think that as long as it's still useful and not dangerous they keep it the way it is. Here, we're constantly renewing everything even if it's not necessary, yeah, I guess it's nice... but we could have saved a lot of money (talking about the trains).

Old 04-19-2016, 03:56 AM

7,502 posts, read 6,323,353 times
Italy spends a lot of money on infrastructures actually. Roads, buildings, housing, destruction of natural areas and so on.

The problem is, most of it is useless, it keeps some people working and exploiting and migrants, and it is in the hands of various illegal organizations.

Most of the market is used to get money and use it for something else. As a result, many projects are unfinished or do not respect environmental laws and then people loo surprised when something gets destroyed by an earthquake / floodings / etc.

Meanwhile there are two millions of empty houses in the country and yet people have difficulty to find a place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe