Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 02:13 PM

102,224 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
And by "good" I mean fresh and thoughtfully prepared. I was amazed by how bad every meal I had in Poland was. I felt ill eating there. Yet, in contrast, in Estonia it seems I can't get a bad meal if I try. Why is it some countries can cook and others can't? Cooking isn't rocket science.
IDK, OP--it's pretty hard to botch stuffed cabbage rolls or a good pirogi and hearty soup, unless you skimp on the meat. Are you talking about restaurant food? Was it oily/greasy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Estonia??

Does anybody go there??
Finns go there. Maybe their close partnership with Estonia has had a positive influence.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
It's an awesome little country. I think people who visit would be pleasantly surprised.
I enjoyed it, even back in the Soviet period. It was a refreshing change from the drudgery of Western Russia. It felt more Western. The Baltic states inhabited their own cultural zone that was transitional between the Russian monolith and Western modernism.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:36 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
IDK, OP--it's pretty hard to botch stuffed cabbage rolls or a good pirogi and hearty soup, unless you skimp on the meat. Are you talking about restaurant food? Was it oily/greasy?
This is all restaurant food I'm talking about. Yes, it was all very heavy and greasy and not fresh. It reminded of me of food you'd get at a Shoney's (if you're familiar with that chain.)

Old 04-29-2016, 02:37 PM

291 posts, read 277,654 times
I actually think its pretty easy to botch central and eastern european food. It has to be good, or else it's BAD. There's no middle ground.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:39 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I enjoyed it, even back in the Soviet period. It was a refreshing change from the drudgery of Western Russia. It felt more Western. The Baltic states inhabited their own cultural zone that was transitional between the Russian monolith and Western modernism.
Estonia feels, looks and tastes :-) much more modern than Poland (the only other former eastern bloc country I've been to).

Old 04-29-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
This is all restaurant food I'm talking about. Yes, it was all very heavy and greasy and not fresh. It reminded of me of food you'd get at a Shoney's (if you're familiar with that chain.)
No, I don't know Shoney's, but I get your point. It's still the old, Soviet-era cookery, when nobody really cared whether the customer was happy or not. In Russia in the 90's, new, independent (not state-run) restaurants opened that did a really good job, they took pride doing a good job, and they've been wildly popular. It sounds like either Poland hasn't caught up, or maybe you hit the wrong restaurants. That's too bad. Well, the other factor could be that Poland has fewer oligarchs and nouveau-riche to cater to, haha, so there simply isn't much demand for fine dining, or even decent dining (lol), especially if the economy is still in the doldrums. People can't afford to eat out much under those conditions, except at cheap canteens.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:20 AM

190 posts, read 471,653 times
I'm not sure where you went in Poland, but I was in Warsaw and Gdansk last summer and the food was amazing. I had exactly the opposite experience in terms of freshness too, where I remember my wife and I discussing how much fresher and more natural things served here were vs. the US.

I actually had some really good pizza in Warsaw as well, as weird as that sounds, especially from someone coming from NYC.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:43 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Estonia??

Does anybody go there??
I went there. I can't remember the food being either good or bad. I think it was good, as I'd remember bad. I went to Poland on the same trip though, and I must have found it good too, as I'd remember that being as well.

I can't think of anywhere I had bad food, consistently. Usually you just keep trying different places and different stuff until you find your thing.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:19 AM

27,200 posts, read 13,489,086 times
There's nothing wrong with Polish food and I am sure Estonian food is also very good.

One in ten of us now eat Polish cuisine | Daily Mail Online

The London Foodie: The London Foodie Goes to Estonia - Tallinn

Estonian Guild London » Estonia this year at the Scandinavian Christmas Market

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-03-2016 at 06:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe