Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 12:31 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,578,268 times

Advertisements

I was wondering.

Let's say somebody finishes high school or gets a useless college degree.

Then don't look for work at all.

Healthcare is free.

But how about food, transport, clothing...etc.

I'm assuming this individual is living with his/her parents.

Is it really possible??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 12:50 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,928,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I was wondering.

Let's say somebody finishes high school or gets a useless college degree.

Then don't look for work at all.

Healthcare is free.

But how about food, transport, clothing...etc.

I'm assuming this individual is living with his/her parents.

Is it really possible??
Yes and no.

I'll answer for Finland:

Being graduated from college, you have a certain window when you can apply for work and get government subsidies. 6 months.

Finishing high school and getting subsidies requires that you apply for higher education. Otherwise you lose all subsidies.

Not looking for work at all = 3 month quarantine, and you get some €350 a month just to survive. If you still don't look for work, your subsidies will drop by -20%, and then -20% again

Healthcare is mostly free, you pay a token sum for every medical attention

If you're living with your parents, your subsidies are adjusted for how much your parents earn.

Final answer: no, you cannot live on subsidies, you might do it temporarily when you have a good reason, but to leech from the system is made almost impossible.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes and no.

I'll answer for Finland:

Being graduated from college, you have a certain window when you can apply for work and get government subsidies. 6 months.

Finishing high school and getting subsidies requires that you apply for higher education. Otherwise you lose all subsidies.

Not looking for work at all = 3 month quarantine, and you get some €350 a month just to survive. If you still don't look for work, your subsidies will drop by -20%, and then -20% again

Healthcare is mostly free, you pay a token sum for every medical attention

If you're living with your parents, your subsidies are adjusted for how much your parents earn.

Final answer: no, you cannot live on subsidies, you might do it temporarily when you have a good reason, but to leech from the system is made almost impossible.
But Finland is not one of the more generous countries right??

I assume this is also impossible in Italy.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:16 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,928,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
But Finland is not one of the more generous countries right??

I assume this is also impossible in Italy.
Finland is one of the most tight-ass countries with Denmark and the Netherlands.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:38 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,346,499 times
In Germany it is possible, the state will pay your rent within a certain limit and you get about 400€ cash per month. But you should at least pretend to look for work, but even if you do not they will pay your rent and a miminum of money. It is a bit more complicated when you are under 25 and live with your parents but generally it is possible.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Finland is one of the most tight-ass countries with Denmark and the Netherlands.
I thought Denmark was generous

Old 04-29-2016, 01:44 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,065,426 times
yes it is, especially if living with your parents

why do you ask? and why not, what would you do if a person was doing that? Jail their parents? Kick them out on the street and let them starve to death?

Old 04-29-2016, 01:51 PM

1,248 posts, read 829,038 times
A while ago I read the story of a Belgian guy who lives almost totally on welfare and spends his time travelling the world on his bicycle and taking part in amateur cycling events. But he lives quite frugally (sleeping in a tent etc) and spends much time in developing countries where the euro gets him a long way ahead. And he most definitely does not live with his parents.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:57 PM

749 posts, read 862,500 times
it's possible of course, what if you lose your job? That's what unemployment insurance is for, a safety net while you get back on your feet. Now despite what many people think or say, unemployment welfare won't last eternally as you need to get back to work as it's a safety net not a way of life.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:13 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,122,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
In Germany it is possible, the state will pay your rent within a certain limit and you get about 400€ cash per month. But you should at least pretend to look for work, but even if you do not they will pay your rent and a miminum of money. It is a bit more complicated when you are under 25 and live with your parents but generally it is possible.

Probably your first comment I can 100% agree

I think in Eastern Germany and in some major cities in NRW you will find quite a lot of families that lived for years, when not since decades solely on social benefits.
That's partially the result of too generous social benefits. People get used to the very generous system before the Hartz reforms. And even after the reforms it's not that difficult to live on the amount of social benefits. Too generous social benefits will lead to a lack of motivation.
But the job agencies try to reskill those people and they have normally actively look for work. Otherwise they can lose their social benefits partially.

I guess, here we can agree that left policies can do a lot of harm. Such policies are maybe well-intended, but they can lead to bad results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe