Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 05:56 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,361 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

we are a german family, who has been living in the US for almost 15 years.

We just dropped off our olderst daugher (19) in Amsterdam, where she will attend college (University of Amsterdam, PPLE).

She moved into her dorm, which is centrally located. we managed to buy her a nice 'holland' bike and stored her.
now we skype everyday and many things are still unfamiliar/hard to find out.

for example, she took three pieces of luggage with her and we thought, she could just buy whatever she needs via amazon. well, turns out, there is no amazon (which surprised me, since its neighbor germany has had amazon for decades). is there a similar online merchant?

apparently, at Albert Heijn supermarkets you can only pay via a 'bank card', not with cash. she does not have her bank card yet. other supermarkets (lidl, aldi, no chains) seem to take cash, right?

well, there are more questions. if anyone lives in the netherlands, maybe even in Amsterdam, I would very much appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 10:30 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,171,264 times
https://www.amazon.nl/

≥ Marktplaats - De plek om nieuwe en tweedehands spullen te kopen en verkopen is a second hand type marketplace.

also you can pretty much use any website retailer as long as they ship to you.

perhaps at the AH there is another line/queue for cash? i havent encountered an AH that only takes pin cards but i have yet to visit every AH...

Old 08-25-2016, 06:53 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,859,918 times
Why does she *have* to shop via Amazon ?
If you think that you can not buy almost everything in a store in the Netherlands, how do you think the Dutch people survive ?

She just needs to take her time, make some local Dutch friends, and then find out how the Dutch *get around* in their daily life ...

In the mean time if she still insists on buying stuff via Amazon, or on-line, have her read this:
https://www.quora.com/If-you-live-in...do-you-shop-at

https://www.amazon.nl/

Listings - Shops - Online Stores | Expatica the Netherlands

Or just google:
netherlands online shopping sites

Last resort: Do *you* still have family in Bayern ? (Your nickname !)
Maybe they can order and ship to her ?

Old 08-25-2016, 07:33 AM

thank you! so far I could only find books/kindle on the amazon.nl page. a friend of mine has lived in the NL until last year and told me, he has not used amazon there, but sometimes the german amazon and they shipped to him - but with global shipping, so not for frequent buyers on student budget.

regarding the supermarket: good to know, maybe it was just this one location. she was guided to the customer service desk to pay with Euros.

for smaller appliances (nutri bullet etc.) people probably go to MediaMarkt?

I also found HEMA and read it is kind of a mini target?

IKEA was out of most sleeping sofas, to me beter bed looks like an alternative.

she is also looking for bags (those saddle bags) for her bike. are there shops for used bikes and accessoires, anyone can recommend? she went to this one big outdoor market, where we bought her bike, but could not find anything.
she lives on Ringdijkstraat.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:43 AM

thanks, Irman.

for example things like a nutri bullet, protein powder, english books, head phones, yoga mat - I am sure you can buy everything in town - but it seems more difficult as anticipated to get around with English or German, find the right shop and being also limited to a bike. also navigating websites, that are all in dutch. she'll start a crash course in two weeks though.

In addition she is sick with a fever, just arrived, still doesn't know anyone and is a little overwhelmed

it's not an easy task to start a new chapter in life in another country, culture and language, when you just turned 19 .

and yes, we have just visited family and friends in Bavaria (wuerzburg, Muenchen, Kempten). we go every other year. shipping from there is an option, but I am sure after some time she knows where to go.

we use amazon prime a lot here in North Carolina, so does my family in Germany - it just saves time and money and we are a little spoiled, I admit.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:14 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,163,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
apparently, at Albert Heijn supermarkets you can only pay via a 'bank card', not with cash.
Is this a new development? When I visited a few months ago, paying with cash was not a problem at AH.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:35 AM

as I said, maybe it was just this location. or their cash register didn't work? I only know the shook their heads when she wanted to hand her Euros and send her to customer service.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:33 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,171,264 times
small appliances: mediamarkt like you said or blocker

hema is a dept store but no target.

i got my saddlebags at a bike store. fietsenwinkel. try 'Fiets en Meer - Pretoriusstraat' is close to her. i think

nice stuff doesnt last in ams. just so you know.

albert cuyp markt - she should check that out
im guessing she went to waterlooplein markt

Paracetamol is 'tylenol' for her fever. OTC.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:39 AM

thanks. and paracetamol is available in supermarkets/drugstores or pharmacies?

one more question: a really good deal for museum lovers seems to be the museumskaart for only 60 Euros. Museumkaart: Real Deal for Museum Lovers! | AmsterdamTourist.info

any other discount card that could be interesting to students?

Old 08-25-2016, 11:12 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,497 times
Here's a website for all kinds of discounts for students in Amsterdam https://www.studentenkorting.nl/lokaal/amsterdam

Make shure she doesn't leave the bike outside on the street at night. Take it inside, otherwise it'll be stolen. Buy the cheapest bags (fietstassen) you can find. The Action has them for like € 5,00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe