Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 06:59 PM

516 posts, read 429,290 times

Advertisements

Just talking to my wife the past few weeks about our government here in the good old US of A and how the income gap is widening etc etc etc. I have worked around a very diverse set of people from all over the world. Most recently and notable two gentlemen from Europe. One is from Romania and the other from Germany, the specific cities/towns I cannot recall or pronounce. Just talking to each of them briefly off and on for several months about various subjects and topics I have an even more solidified opinion of Europe vs. USA. It seems like parts of Europe are just better overall in terms of social life and humanity. People hold a more positive outlook on life. Making money and greed isnt top priority. Making a positive impact on others you meet and are around daily seems to be a top priority, as it benefits your other goals long term. The food system there isn't poisoned as it is here in America. My wife and I have joked about moving to Europe with our 3 kids. I am a welder by trade and she is going to school for finance. What kids of obstacles would we encounter if we did in fact try to move to Europe? I am literally just scraping the surface on this subject.

This one guy, from Romania, gave me his phone number and friended me on Facebook. He also told me if my family and I ever vacation to Romania, to look him up and we can stay at his house and meet his family. I was astounded at his hospitality towards me, a seemingly random stranger.

I would like detailed accounts and options on this matter. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 07:15 PM

433 posts, read 405,525 times
Reasons:

1. Political (can't support criminals and serial killers running the country) (not a big improvement, but definitely more freedoms in EUROPE).
2. Economical (too expensive, property taxes, food prices tripled etc.) (Europe: None or midgety prop. taxes)
3. Weatherwise (no reasonable climate or very expensive) (incomparable! almost tropical in the South and no bad humidity)
4. Cultural (huge difference)
5. Architectural (huge difference)
6. Safety (huge difference)
7. Societal (people, family) (entitled attitudes everywhere)
8. Healthwise (astronomical improvement)
9. Food and its safety (humongous difference)

Many other reasons I may have missed. Some insignificant changes to the worse as well. Such as customer service or number of crooks.

You have to become Europeanised before you move, and lose your attitudes, get a different style and lifestyle, otherwise you won't "survive".

Last edited by newtocolumbia; 12-30-2016 at 07:25 PM..

Old 12-30-2016, 07:41 PM

516 posts, read 429,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtocolumbia View Post
Reasons:

1. Political (can't support criminals and serial killers running the country) (not a big improvement, but definitely more freedoms in EUROPE).
2. Economical (too expensive, property taxes, food prices tripled etc.) (Europe: None or midgety prop. taxes)
3. Weatherwise (no reasonable climate or very expensive) (incomparable! almost tropical in the South and no bad humidity)

Many other reasons I may have missed. Some insignificant changes to the worse as well. Such as customer service or number of crooks.

You have to become Europeanised before you move, and lose your attitudes, get a different style and lifestyle, otherwise you won't "survive".
I'd like to hear more details.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:48 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Where does your new Romanian friend live? The friendliest people are in Transylvania. There are fabulous people there. You might not think so, but some Russians are like that too.

But OP, you'd have to find a job over there in order to get a visa. Europe doesn't need more financial sector people or welders. If one of you were an engineer, some kind of exceptionally-skilled techie, or a scientist, you'd have a good chance. Otherwise, the best you can do is visit, or maybe your wife could get a job with a company that has offices in Europe. That seems like your best shot, offhand.

How are you at learning languages? (Americans often overlook that aspect.)

Old 12-30-2016, 08:12 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
For everyone who are considering a move to Romania, I'll strongly suggest you visit at least for a month. Sure, Romania might have great people, but it's still the Venezuela of the EU. In fact, it shouldn't be in the EU at all.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:33 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtocolumbia View Post
Reasons:

Are you an American? It doesn't look as though English is your first language.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:30 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,066 times
I moved to Germany 17 years ago and have met a number of Americans who have moved to Europe but every one I have met moved for work or love or school or something like that. The reasons listed may be a part of why they stay here but I have never met, online or in real life, anyone who moved for those reasons.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:49 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times
Besides money, West Europe is a better placer to live than America in every way.

To the OP, I don't know how, but you should try if both you and your wife are up for it.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Are you an American? It doesn't look as though English is your first language.
I am a western European and I live in western Europe, yet I do not disclose my real name, nationality, etc. purely for privacy purposes. I am not any kind of American, but I've spent some years living overthere.

Are you a Floridian?

Last edited by newtocolumbia; 12-31-2016 at 03:10 AM.. Reason: Floridian obviously :-)

Old 12-31-2016, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
I'd like to hear more details.
Me too! I'd like to hear more details from you as in specific questions! :-) This is the familiar attitude and I don't mean to be rude, but this is what North Americans do and are. They ask you a short question such as "I'm all yours, help me" (on a gardening forum for instance) with no effort in sight. I've helped such people before and I know they don't appreciate it neither do they care one way or another, with some scarce exceptions. This is what you have got to lose is your attitude, that's task number one. Lose your infantilism and your entitled attitude. No one's going to do hand-holding for you in Europe unless you ask very specific questions and even then you may get no clear answers if answers at all. And I will gladly provide more info and help maximum I can, if I see the person shows effort in helping themselves. Sorry! You don't seem to have appreciate the work I put into my last post. I consider it rude to ask a short question like this in response to a long post that I made. My suggestion would be make best life you can where you presently live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe