Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 05:18 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,101,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
We have caribny giving lesson to french people while he's a model of rigidity toward a culture he doesn't (apparently) appreciate. Just apply the "laissez-faire" that you praise and accept the french way. I'm always laughing reading your comments about the bad assimilation in France, racism of french people and how narrow minded they are.

"Quand on peut voir si nettement les défauts des autres, c'est qu'on les a." Jules Renard

Explaining that UK and USA are model of assimilation while they openly decided to close their borders against immigration while France choosed Macron and UE and is managing refugees that UK categorically refuse on its soil. Yes, continue to give lesson to Franciliens that voted only 12% for Marine le Pen in Ile-de-France, you can write as much as you want how racist are french people now we can say more or less that "history" talked for us.
Just going on british tabloids BS comment section shows how radical british people are against immigration and how "remainers" are hated by more than half of the country.

"But they aren't representative of the whole population" ! Yes, so is the dude in Creuse that is ready to shoot an "arab" with a rifle if he dares walk peacefully in front of his house while visiting the place.

Clean in your front door, you know, that's what we ask to do to french all the time because "they are arrogant like a rooster".

For english, you guys are a little bit stuck in the 90's. Don't dare find an executive level job in Paris that doesn't require a good level in english. My data analyst job in EDF without english? Not even in a dream.
Entering in my master degree without 750 minimum in Toeic ? => learn your basis in english and we will talk after. I'm Parisian, living with a Slovak and we met in South Korea. Damn so narrow minded. And I'm far to be the most open.

And guess what ? A lot of french students start to understand that a french speaking french and english is extremely valuable on the market and aren't making the mistake to skip english.
Anyway the job market totally impose it today and it's not even a choice.

I wonder how many british people here in citydata stabbed London in its back to feel "sovereign from the terrible European bureaucracy and protected from immigration". So open minded.
The biggest mistake that many Anglosphere people make is that people around the world all do this because they *love* them and their language.

Maybe they should be a bit more mindful of what people say behind their backs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post

Why do native english speakers assume they could live in a foreign country without learning the local language ?

I don't speak swedish, and even if English fluency in Sweden is probably very high, I'd still want to learn it if I had to spend a few months there. That is just the right thing to do. English is fundamental, but it will never be sufficient anywhere it is not the primary everyday language.
This actually gets on the nerves of a lot people in many countries.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:44 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,884,376 times
Paris will only surpass London? now you are underestimating the Cosmogonal Genius who's now at the head of France. Paris will surpass London, NYC, Shanghai and Tokyo combined. It's the least this beacon of light in an universe of darkness can attain ( I'm making fun of course of that poor Amarow).

Old 05-30-2017, 09:24 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,689,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The biggest mistake that many Anglosphere people make is that people around the world all do this because they *love* them and their language.

Maybe they should be a bit more mindful of what people say behind their backs...
Ofc, I hope they know it, probably they don't do the mistake (else they are a little old fashioned).
English is very easy to "access" and to use -not at a native level but a honest average level- , that's a very strong quality. I use it to improve my value on the job market and have access to a much wider amount of sources/data... Besides, SAS, Python and R are ofc in english.

Not because I like it, which I really don't care personally. It's just a tool like a programmation language.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Ofc, I hope they know it, probably they don't do the mistake (else they are a little old fashioned).
English is very easy to "access" and to use -not at a native level but a honest average level- , that's a very strong quality. I use it to improve my value on the job market and have access to a much wider amount of sources/data... Besides, SAS, Python and R are ofc in english.

Not because I like it, which I really don't care personally. It's just a tool like a programmation language.
In my experience some are aware but some do get carried away. As we can see from some people on this thread.

Remember that I live in Canada, home of the eternal tug of war between English and French. It's not just Canadians of course, but I've heard a billion times from people about how the English language (and the culture that goes along with it) has such an inexorable attractive, seductive pull on people like the song of the sirens, resistance is futile you will be assimilated, etc.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:51 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,943,672 times
Quote:
In my experience some are aware but some do get carried away. As we can see from some people on this thread.

Remember that I live in Canada, home of the eternal tug of war between English and French. It's not just Canadians of course, but I've heard a billion times from people about how the English language (and the culture that goes along with it) has such an inexorable attractive, seductive pull on people like the song of the sirens, resistance is futile you will be assimilated, etc.
I think that English was at the right place at the right time. Bearing in mind that the two leading economies of the last two hundred years have been English speaking and at a point where global communications have made the world a much smaller place, it is logical that there is a move towards a lingua franca. It just so happens that it is English which has become the common language. Had this economic convergence happened 400 or 500 years ago we would probably all be speaking Spanish.

I would add that, in many respects, English is a much easier language to master than French. The grammar is easier and the genders are easier. I recall, when working in Geneva, getting a report or proposal out in French was painful because it was always hard to get agreement on the written form. We had a bunch of native French speakers, all of whom had degrees from Swiss or French universities, disagreeing on the grammar. We never had that problem with English language pieces.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:

After browsing some tabloids with amusement, here on city data they are quite moderated. They aren't the state of the art at all. They defend their opinions, even if a dude like Pueblo is impressively biaised even if you put figures everywhere. As they wish, until they realize they might fall because they aren't untouchable at all. Let's see how inflation will continue to nomnomnom the purchasing power of british households. Besides the drop of the pound didn't raise exportations -yet- which is not good at all.

Well I'm not sure the attractivity of UK on continental Europe will skyrocket the next years . They showed a dark side of their country last year, by the desire to come back on their island and close the doors. Many french around me were very disappointed and their admiration for UK clearly dropped. From dominant by its dynamism, UK suddenly looked ... not that sure outside of London.

but that's off topic.

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-20-2017 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: In English please!

Old 05-30-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
After browsing some tabloids with amusement, here on city data they are quite moderated. They aren't the state of the art at all. They defend their opinions, even if a dude like Pueblo is impressively biaised even if you put figures everywhere. As they wish, until they realize they might fall because they aren't untouchable at all. Let's see how inflation will continue to nomnomnom the purchase power of british households. Besides the drop of the pound didn't raise exportations -yet- which is not good at all.

Well I'm not sure the attractivity of UK on continental Europe will skyrocket the next years . They showed a dark side of their country last year, by the desire to come back on their island and close the doors. Many french around me were very disappointed and their admiration for UK clearly dropped. From dominant by its dynamism, UK suddenly looked ... not that sure outside of London.

Je me demande bien à quelle sauce ils vont être mangés par les superpuissances affamées comme la Chine. but that's off topic.
In many respects, Brexit is about the UK returning to its economic 'roots' in the sense that the UK, historically, always looked beyond Europe for its trade and economic relationships. Whether it works or not remains to be seen but it isn't really surprising.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
In many respects, Brexit is about the UK returning to its economic 'roots' in the sense that the UK, historically, always looked beyond Europe for its trade and economic relationships. Whether it works or not remains to be seen but it isn't really surprising.
I know, but still, leaving the first free trade area and an economy with the size of USA is quite strange from a pragmatism POV. The biggest lure is to think it's easier to trade with China and India than UE which is not the case. If they can squeeze UK until it's flat as a pancake, they will.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I know, but still, leaving the first free trade area and an economy with the size of USA is quite strange from a pragmatism POV. The biggest lure is to think it's easier to trade with China and India than UE which is not the case. If they can squeeze UK until it's flat as a pancake, they will.
Time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe