Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 02:44 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,454,415 times

Advertisements

Is the United States more segregated racially and socioeconomically than in Europe? For example even the blackest areas in London aren't over 90% black like in American cities. Now I know that London is only 13 percent black (even though it felt more when I was there, personally) but NYC is only 25% black. Yet in NYC you have areas that are over 90% black and in London no area is over 40% black. Maybe redlining has something to with it where in the United States loans were not given to whites who wanted to live in or set up businesses in minority neighborhoods. You might not ever had redlining in the UK or other parts of Europe. Also I read that poor people in Amsterdam live in trendy areas because of housing subsidies. Would you say European neighborhoods are more integrated socially than in the United States?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 05:04 AM

505 posts, read 394,457 times
American cities are similar to medieval cities - divided by guettos, guilds, burgs, holy grounds, etc.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:58 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,850,298 times
The question is too broad to answer. The difference is already very big between countries like Finland and Sweden. In Finland the answer is Yes, in Sweden in many cases it's No.

In countries like the NL, it varies a lot on a neighbourhood basis. Some are very heterogeneous, other practically 95% first generation immigrant.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:06 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,745,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farinello View Post
American cities are similar to medieval cities - divided by guettos, guilds, burgs, holy grounds, etc.
what is worse, so are people's children because the quality of public education depends on parent's income.

Chicago is a prime example. In the wealthy north, a black guy walking on the street will stick out like a sore thumb although the city itself is like 40% black. In the poor south, may neighbourhoods are close to 100% black. It is so bad that if you take the red line subway, after a certain station, all the non-black passengers disappear all of a sudden.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:47 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,306,481 times
I guess every city in Europe has some kind of cluster-like division based on socio-economical aspects, but not every city has the same level of segregation. For instance I live in a relatively lower-class neighborhood with a higher percentage of immigrants compared to some other wealthier parts of the city, but it's actually pretty quiet, nice and well-maintained overall. I have never seen beggars here or sketchy people at night. We're also quite far from the center so that may be a reason for that too.

Bologna isn't particularly divided compared to some other places I've seen.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:01 PM

505 posts, read 394,457 times
Barcelona is highly segregated by income, but there are no no-go zones in the city--- but several areas that are very close, inhabited by many Spanish Gypsies that do look awful and frightening, but there are also "payos" (non gypsies).

Old 10-10-2017, 01:48 AM

400 posts, read 293,505 times
One day I stepped out of the subway in the wrong station in Manhattan. I was totally lost and apparently I was in Harlem. All the people in the street were black and lets just say they were not looking at me in a friendly way. I couldn’t find the subway entrance to take me back. Finally I found a taxi to go back.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:28 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,262,581 times
We have some areas in the Netherlands that are nearly 100% rich and some that are the opposite, but overall there's a descent mix of low and higher incomes. A lot of suburbs build in resent years have mostly houses in the middle class price range and on the edge of that part some in higher price range, so high and mid level incomes live in the same area.

I have my doubts though why would anybody buy a million euro house such an area with mostly 250k houses. Not good for value, and very hard to sell.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:27 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,623,935 times
Depends. If you include Indians, Bangladeshis and Pakistanis as one group then you will get areas of London where they make up the majority. If you consider them individually then no, that is generally not the case. Tower Hamlets for example is 32% Bangladeshi and 31% White British, so no ethnic group is dominating.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:35 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,110,242 times
London is majority foreign born now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe