Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 04:16 AM

7,499 posts, read 6,326,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
Europe has become America lite in a lot of ways over the past 10-15 years. It is pretty unfortunate. I travel in Asia and Latin America now because Europe has become too generic and similar to home.
so knowing another language means you lose your culture ? That explains the Brexit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 04:54 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,134,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
English as second language has been a German curriculum since the 70s. People decide not to speak it or understand it - their decision. I sometimes decide not to speak/understand other languages.
Lots of, if not most Germans speak at least some basic English but many are reluctant to, as if they are sort of embarrassed that their English is not better. Often when you finally get them to open up and try it's really not that bad. Of course some don't really speak it at all.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:49 AM

26,920 posts, read 38,223,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I think the main problem with English is the large difference between written english and spoken english. Spoken english varies a lot..

Really? I find the differences are much much less than between spoken and written French (which I know you and I both share as a first language.)

Old 11-03-2017, 09:56 AM

26,920 posts, read 38,223,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
A lot of this is because (some) Americans seem to confuse 'globalism' with 'Americanism'.
Well one thing I'll add that won't be too popular with some people is that it does take away from a bit of the "magic" of being in a place in continental Europe or elsewhere when it's overrun with tourists, speaking (maybe not exclusively but primarily) English* usually.

I've been to a few places (Salzburg one time really sticks out in my mind) where if you closed your eyes it was like being at the Illinois State Fair or something.

First world problems, I know.

*It could be other languages too, but most of the time it's English.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Really? I find the differences are much much less than between spoken and written French (which I know you and I both share as a first language.)
well, I think both languages share this problem. I mean, the sequence "ea" can be pronounced like "e" or like "ee". I learnt about a year ago how to pronounce "recipe" which I always assumed was pronounced like "reece-hi-p"

"A" can be pronounced like in French or like "eh" almost. the letter "I" has two different pronounciations as well. Some make zero sense. Also think about the great variation of accents already within the UK.

French and English both have a relatively high percentage of dyslexic people, whereas it is much lower for languages where written and spoken Language are (mostly) the same like Italian or German.

Another major difficulty for French speakers is where to put the stress, which does not exist in french (and is a problem when learning most other languages)

I still remember the time in Toronto when I went to a store and asked to try out some pants and the clerk said there were no pens for sale. I had been living there for about 6 months at that point, never using French. I have never had such problems with German.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:59 PM

985 posts, read 1,859,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
English as second language has been a German curriculum since the 70s. People decide not to speak it or understand it - their decision. I sometimes decide not to speak/understand other languages.
Even earlier, according to Wikipedia English was introduced as a compulsory foreign language for all German pupils in 1955.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:13 PM

2,383 posts, read 1,583,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well one thing I'll add that won't be too popular with some people is that it does take away from a bit of the "magic" of being in a place in continental Europe or elsewhere when it's overrun with tourists, speaking (maybe not exclusively but primarily) English* usually.

I've been to a few places (Salzburg one time really sticks out in my mind) where if you closed your eyes it was like being at the Illinois State Fair or something.

First world problems, I know.

*It could be other languages too, but most of the time it's English.
Suggest you go to New Caledonia where much less English is spoken than in Europe. I found it a curious experience. Of courses for the two thirds of the population who are not of European heritage, French is their second language and English only their third language. Gorgeous place!

Old 11-04-2017, 06:38 AM

13,519 posts, read 9,077,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I think the main problem with English is the large difference between written english and spoken english. Spoken english varies a lot. You may be good at reading english, that does not mean you will understand everything a native speaker will tell you. I personally have trouble understanding some Italian people speaking in English and usually Italians have trouble understanding French people speaking english because the accents are different. I am cool with general American / Canadian (the easiest for me) / Southern british but send me to the midlands of England and I'm sure everyone up there will think I can not understand English at all.
This is true of any "foreign" language though, I understand certain things in other languages written down but would have no idea hearing someone speaking it. Not just because of their accent but the speed at which they talk & how certain words are pronounced by different people.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
This is true of any "foreign" language though, I understand certain things in other languages written down but would have no idea hearing someone speaking it. Not just because of their accent but the speed at which they talk & how certain words are pronounced by different people.
Sure, but certain languages make it easier because the way things are pronounced based on how they are written is the same most if not all of the time. Italian is like that, German too. French and English, not so much.

But yeah, accents can be tricky, especially in Italy where there are vast differences from one region to the other. But standard Italian follows the rules pretty much.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:50 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,863,086 times
Do northern Europeans from different nations commonly use English to talk to each other?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NNVCfaSlLMQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe