Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2019, 11:48 PM

1,503 posts, read 610,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlePoodle View Post
Again, a matter of taste. Or, perhaps, lack thereof.

To clarify - it was not intended as a list of recommendations, but rather a response to someone claiming that any and all post-Soviet movies are utterly unwatchable.

The "Watches", along with "9th Company" and "Space Walk" are crappy movies, but quite watchable.
(shrug) They are unwatchable. As I said, "Watches" are somewhat watchable, as well as Brat/Brat 2, but that's it. The rest is utter crap. Either visually ("Hard too be God"), or by the message they send (or actual lack of it), or by actors that play like preschool that never been on stage, or by directors that have no idea what they want to produce, etc.

What's interesting, degradation happened almost overnight - 89 to 92; in just three years it seems like all competences were lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 02:48 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,258,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
(shrug) They are unwatchable. As I said, "Watches" are somewhat watchable, as well as Brat/Brat 2, but that's it. The rest is utter crap. Either visually ("Hard too be God"), or by the message they send (or actual lack of it), or by actors that play like preschool that never been on stage, or by directors that have no idea what they want to produce, etc.

What's interesting, degradation happened almost overnight - 89 to 92; in just three years it seems like all competences were lost.
I don’t know much about cinema, but I think that Mikhalkov’s films are often of good quality. I also liked "How I Spent This Summer". And recently I watched the "Green Elephant", this is a pretty interesting experience , the influence of post-modern Russian prose (Sorokin) is felt. But overall Russian cinema is BH. Unlike modern Russian literature and music.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:47 PM

427 posts, read 246,822 times
Just dropping by to post a few observations/events:

A. I had a 3 hour long coffee date yesterday with a nice Russian gal so I'm guessing it went well.

B. I proceeded to go to the bar after and get a bit drunk (3 shots)

C. One of my friends gave me a few lap dances, but I gave lap dances to two of my friends...

D. Apparently I'm good at lap dances.

Also, Russian girls look pretty damn good when they party...

Old 10-19-2019, 09:50 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,637,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
These are the two main political parties in the USA. I do not remember when they formed, but it was a long time ago. Democrats support an expansion of freedoms (they have the majority of votes, for example, in New York and Los Angeles), Republicans support stricter control of the state (they have the majority of votes, for example, in Texas).

I imagine Americans would argue with you, saying that it's the DEMOCRATS actually that want "a stricter control of the state."

Quote:
Since parties were formed long ago, they have long been supported by wealthy families and are a continuation of their interests. Composition of families is quite stable, for many years, participants in election races have developed rules of the game, the system is stable. It’s quite difficult for new people to get into this squad, because it is very expensive and it will still require the support of families to win.

I've already noticed that Russians basically don't see a difference between Putin's regime and the US, since both are "controlled by people with money," and the difference between American Republicans and Democrats looks very blurry from Russia.

Quote:
I am not sure that Republicans and Democrats really have serious differences, except that they represent the interests of different families.

There you go.

(So as you can see the knowledge of history, "Gone with the wind" or "Terminator" don't really give the insight of what America really is and what makes it tick today.)

Quote:
Yes, Democrats say that they will give more social rights and free services, and Republicans say that they will raise an industry and give more jobs, but I don’t know just the words or a real work.

Good question to be honest)))
( But that's not the only thing where they greatly differ.)

Quote:
Sanders is a familiar surname. I remember 2 Sanders (but who of them Bernie I don’t remember, probably a politician): Colonel Sanders founder of the KFC and an old grandfather from the Democratic Party, he lost to H. Clinton. I heard that he advocated for social projects and had support, but could not win.
I already know that Russian propaganda machine carefully avoids any discussion/information about Bernie Sanders.

Because this would have opened the whole can of worms for Putin, since it would have exposed Russian population to the differences between American capitalism vs European capitalism, how Russians have been duped back in the nineties, and how Russian Democrats have been thrown under the bus basically by American Democrats of the corporate variety ( Clintons first of all.)

(No wonder that today Russian Democrats are aligned with American Republicans/Trump as the direct result of it.)

Quote:
ps: I did not google before answering.

( Thanks Maxim.)

Old 10-19-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
I will also express my point of view.

Yes, at present, the influence of not only American, but also simply Western culture in Russia has recently grown. And of course, this has an impact on the outlook of the younger generation. In my conservative opinion, even too much. But, I think, that about any deep understanding of Western and American culture in particular to speak hardly account for, in view very strong mental differences our cultures. We have different values, different views on things, different understanding of certain rules and regulations. And it all leaves its mark. After all, the current generation of young people is growing not as something apart, but in the system of views and values formed during the Soviet Union, because most of their parents were raised at that time. Yes,some of these values, unfortunately, have lost their meaning, but most still remain. This I can judge from myself and my children, who grew up in the era of this Western influence. I and my children, too, gladly looks many American films and series, for example I adore the film "Forrest Gump"... and "Escape from Shawshank" so this at all my a favorite the film, but this not says about how that we are fans American culture. Some things are pleasant to look at, and some not. Because many things seem to us funny, stupid and incomprehensible, and sometimes just harmful because of different mentality. Although of course, some things we would not be bad to learn. And these differences, which have been formed for centuries, can not be easily erased in one generation.

Thanks Zimogor - I was hoping to hear something like that, because it was my assumption that since the generational ties/influences are much stronger in Russian culture than in American culture, this Western influence wouldn't really take over as *some* would wish. ( Navalny and Co come to mind.) (May be except for some bigger cities like Moscow or E-burg, as for the rest of the country - ... )

This is what I constantly want to bring up during my arguments with DKM, who likes to say "oh, it's some old ( implying "disgruntled") people in Donbass, whose opinion don't matter to anyone any longer."
He is probably not aware that in America old people might be "disgruntled" and irrelevant, but in Russia "old disgruntled people" are someone's mothers, grand-fathers and even close neighbors, whose opinions/well-being ( or pitiful conditions) still influence the younger generation big time.

I just keep on forgetting to bring this difference up in conversation, so thank you again Zimogor.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Having known both cultures from inside, I'd say both have their goods and bads (I think, like every culture). In an ideal world, culture would take the best from others to replace it's bad part; in the real world I see quite the opposite: US takes the worst parts of Russian culture, and Russia takes the worst parts of American one. That's quite a saddening state of affairs.

As for closest Russia future - I really hope it will survive the period that starts now as children of 90s have come of age (active age, of course). Hopefully, USSR heritage would not be completely lost.
How come?
Elaborate please.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
Just dropping by to post a few observations/events:

A. I had a 3 hour long coffee date yesterday with a nice Russian gal so I'm guessing it went well.

B. I proceeded to go to the bar after and get a bit drunk (3 shots)

C. One of my friends gave me a few lap dances, but I gave lap dances to two of my friends...

D. Apparently I'm good at lap dances.

Also, Russian girls look pretty damn good when they party...

Great dancer you are, so here - I send some dancing music your way ( apparently it was somewhere on European charts, but yes, it's still a Russian music)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zjob0o7UPs

Old 10-20-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

Great dancer you are, so here - I send some dancing music your way ( apparently it was somewhere on European charts, but yes, it's still a Russian music)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zjob0o7UPs
I hope I'm a great dancer. They said they liked it!

I don't understand the appeal of lap dances for women, but so help me God, if they want them, I'll give em.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:39 PM

I had a date on Saturday before I went to the bar. We got coffee and were there for 3 hours, then we went to the bar for an hour to meet my friends. So in total, we were together for 4 hours. We're still talking so I guess it went well. I'm taking her to a Georgian restaurant this weekend I think.

I'm a bit depressed though. I think it's a mix of my homesickness and other things

Old 10-20-2019, 10:59 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,511,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Thanks Zimogor - I was hoping to hear something like that, because it was my assumption that since the generational ties/influences are much stronger in Russian culture than in American culture, this Western influence wouldn't really take over as *some* would wish. ( Navalny and Co come to mind.) (May be except for some bigger cities like Moscow or E-burg, as for the rest of the country - ... )

This is what I constantly want to bring up during my arguments with DKM, who likes to say "oh, it's some old ( implying "disgruntled") people in Donbass, whose opinion don't matter to anyone any longer."
He is probably not aware that in America old people might be "disgruntled" and irrelevant, but in Russia "old disgruntled people" are someone's mothers, grand-fathers and even close neighbors, whose opinions/well-being ( or pitiful conditions) still influence the younger generation big time.

I just keep on forgetting to bring this difference up in conversation, so thank you again Zimogor.
I'm going to jump in here since I share some of DKM's views. Yes, there's a significant difference in how the elderly are viewed in Eastern Europe, including Russia. The problem is that these elderly keep pushing themselves on the younger generation by promoting outdated concepts. It appears that a large number of elderly who grew up in the Eastern block have a hard time adapting.

I've run into a lot of these immigrants over the years and most of them have a hard time fitting in. They tell me that they find it difficult to make friends because they find Westerners cold. However, a lot of them don't even bother to improve their English. That's despite some of them being here for well over 40 years.

In recent years, I've grown annoyed by these senior citizens, who to this day try to impose their views on me. Whenever I'm a guest at someone's house, I ask them if they can bring me the strongest liquor that they have. That's how I stay sane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe