U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2019, 10:38 AM

91 posts, read 58,858 times

Advertisements

Europe, especially UK, France, Spain, Portugal, is home to millions of people with origins in the Latin America and Caribbean region, Jamaicans and Guyanese in England, Dominicans and Colombians in Spain, Haitians in France, Brazilians in Portugal. Not to mention Mexicans, and people from other countries like Trinidad, Venezuela, Peru, Guatemala etc.

Puerto Rico was a Spanish colony for nearly 400 years (1508-1898), and a US "territory" (fancy word for colony, but that's another topic) since then. Well over half of the world's Puerto Ricans live outside of Puerto Rico, in fact 90% of the ones outside of PR are in the US mainland. Spanish is the main language in Puerto Rico, and Puerto Ricans in the mainland United States are bilingual in both Spanish and English. Therefore, United Kingdom and Spain should both atleast have 30,000 Puerto Ricans each.

So despite, having many Latinos, Caribbeans, and Americans in Europe. There seems to be few Puerto Ricans. Is this true that they are really non existent in Europe or is there a small but growing PR population present?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 10:58 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,914,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconada View Post

So despite, having many Latinos, Caribbeans, and Americans in Europe. There seems to be few Puerto Ricans. Is this true that they are really non existent in Europe or is there a small but growing PR population present?
When I lived in NYC, I lived in a neighborhood for many years that was Puerto Rican, and there were Puerto Ricans on the staff at work.

But since emigrating to Europe in 2000 I haven't met a single one.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:56 PM

11 posts, read 10,163 times
I once read somewhere that both UK and Spain have about 2,000 Puerto Ricans (or maybe 1,000) I dont remember once I find the source again but once I find I'll post it. Very small compared to the populations of these countries. Maybe sometime in the future it will grow, but it just ain't there right now.

But it's TRUE the vast majority PRs outside of Puerto Rico itself live in the US mainland, out of 9 million only about 50,000 live outside Puerto Rico and the US mainland. Outside these 2, there are many in other parts of the Caribbean, about 20,000 in Dominican Republic and 15,000 in the US Virgin Islands.

Old 10-24-2019, 04:19 PM

1,877 posts, read 534,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconada View Post
United Kingdom and Spain should both atleast have 30,000 Puerto Ricans each.
That seems a very specific number, how did you get to that?

Here in the UK I don't think I've ever come across a Puerto Rican.

Being a US colony I guess anybody wanting to leave the island just goes to the US.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:01 PM

4,937 posts, read 3,170,396 times
If they do exist they must be all going to Spain...and I'm only commenting since I'm listening to a song by 2 puerto ricans now which was my favorite song as a kid...so as you may guess the song is in Spanish. It seems as if Spanish is the de facto language there.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:54 PM

21,951 posts, read 9,040,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsenorNouel View Post
I once read somewhere that both UK and Spain have about 2,000 Puerto Ricans (or maybe 1,000) I dont remember once I find the source again but once I find I'll post it. Very small compared to the populations of these countries. Maybe sometime in the future it will grow, but it just ain't there right now.

But it's TRUE the vast majority PRs outside of Puerto Rico itself live in the US mainland, out of 9 million only about 50,000 live outside Puerto Rico and the US mainland. Outside these 2, there are many in other parts of the Caribbean, about 20,000 in Dominican Republic and 15,000 in the US Virgin Islands.
The UK has a sizeable Caribbean population mainly consisting of people from the West Indies and especially Jamaica.

In terms of Puerto Rico it was traditionally Spanish, so there is probably a community in Spain, whilst Puerto Rico also has close ties to the US.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:39 PM

15,865 posts, read 8,954,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The UK has a sizeable Caribbean population mainly consisting of people from the West Indies and especially Jamaica.

In terms of Puerto Rico it was traditionally Spanish, so there is probably a community in Spain, whilst Puerto Rico also has close ties to the US.
To be accurate, Puerto Rico not only has close ties to the U.S. it is part of the U.S. and Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens and carry U.S. passports. A person born in Puerto Rico is just as much a U.S. citizen as a person born in Tennessee.

Last edited by marino760; 10-24-2019 at 08:48 PM..

Old 10-24-2019, 09:09 PM

635 posts, read 418,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
To be accurate, Puerto Rico not only has close ties to the U.S. it is part of the U.S. and Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens and carry U.S. passports. A person born in Puerto Rico is just as much a U.S. citizen as a person born in Tennessee.
Well, not exactly. Puerto Rico's status is a bit complex. While Puerto Ricans do have US passports, Puerto Ricans aren't eligible to vote for the president elections. Puerto Rico isn't a US state, and the US constitution has it clear than Puerto Rico isn't the US.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:22 PM

15,865 posts, read 8,954,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Well, not exactly. Puerto Rico's status is a bit complex. While Puerto Ricans do have US passports, Puerto Ricans aren't eligible to vote for the president elections. Puerto Rico isn't a US state, and the US constitution has it clear than Puerto Rico isn't the US.
Though not a State, Puerto Rico is a commonwealth or territory of the U.S. and the ultimate responsibility of Puerto Rico falls on the shoulders of the U.S. congress.
When traveling including in Europe, Puerto Ricans are considered Americans since they are American citizens and have U.S. passports.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:45 AM

290 posts, read 134,145 times
People from north, Central, South American and the Caribbean:

Generally the south Americans you meet in Europe are mostly in Spain.
I have met a few south Americans in Switzerland but they were Swiss origin, also in Germany I have met quite a lot of braziliens and Argentines with German roots.

As far as North Americans, you can meet them all over Europe as expats or tourists.

The Caribbean people are mostly found in the UK, Netherlands, France and some in Spain, Based on language respectively so Jamaicans in the UK, Martinicans in France, Cubans and Dominicans in Spain, Arubans in Netherlands. Respective to the colonial links they have.

In regards to Central Americans there are some Mexicans and central American But not many, They live mostly in the United States.

As for Puerto Ricans, I have never seen any Puerto Rican in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe