Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 08:03 PM

23 posts, read 14,805 times

Advertisements

NYWriterdude
Owe you an apology. When I penned the last was loading another operating system on one of the other computers here (Ubuntu 19.10, ZFS, Gnome) and did not completely answer your question about how I am socially......

I like the occasional bottle of wine (one pays $20 for a $5 bottle of imported Chilean wine here) I like to go out with friends to concerts - I am not highbrow at all, like Rage Against the Machine, Staind, Pearl Jam, Nickleback, Merle Haggard many of the classic composers, Jazz, Blues and a bunch more. What is missing here in Ecuador is anything cultural. Before Cotacachi, I lived in Quito for a year and not ONCE did the Quito symphony play. I lived in Mexico from 1999-2009 (left because of a kidnapping attempt) and could go from where I lived in Veracruz to Mexico City to see free concerts in Chapultepec Park, or someone playing in one of the concert venues there and a lot of major acts came...... here there isnt anything like that. Plus I had places to bicycle, scuba dive, surf and do some climbing. Here other than the climbing- and at my age I dont climb where equipment is necessary- the onset of arthritis.... there isnt that much either culturally or otherwise. I like to stay active and end up filling more and more of my time on the computers, something not good at my age....
Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 01:45 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
Far Eastern Europe. A real blessing in fortunes to have family connections in Romania. In August to November 2018 4 months, and July to December 2019 6 calendar months 1/2 of the entire year, I got to live in a 7 bedrooms+ massive house property in a beachside property village called Tuzla. In close commuting to Constanta with bus. That side of this country is beautiful too with their own strengths/advantages in Oltenia, Wallachia, Dobrogea regions.

Less than three hours away from Bucharest with express train.

My own Aunt's house is a real house of dreams. Even with two separate structures to the compound, two spacious kitchens with hallways, and a giant garden patio the size of a Farm. Extremely quiet year round.

I have no idea why she is wanting to sell that for only Wow! $35,000 Euros=$166,759 Leu Ron=$38,491 USD! In my country of birth, this same exact House would be for $300,000 to 1.7 Million Dollars. Around 1/10th to 1/43rd the total cost of living right in Romania for that one over there. Rather than just double to triple the affordability.

In Bulgaria, or Belarus is the native equivalent even lower in exact amount to pay? To have such a comfortable spacious house.

Last edited by ; 02-05-2020 at 02:20 PM..

Old 02-05-2020, 02:54 PM

Simply amazing. Many thanks for the kindness of sharing this. This is the kind of information I am looking for. I am going to look at Tuzla this evening on Google Earth. One question.... we see in a lot of western propaganda about how everyone is scared of Russia, curious about whether people there feel that way or its just western media.

Again thanks for sharing.

Regards
Expat

Old 02-06-2020, 01:12 PM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat42451 View Post
One question.... we see in a lot of western propaganda about how everyone is scared of Russia, curious about whether people there feel that way or its just western media.
My son spent the summer of 2017 studying in St. Petersburg. He was living in a dorm with Russians and Europeans. He said Russians are lovely people. He went to sports bars and restaurants without any problems. They were friendly and polite. He spoke some Russian which helps.

The year before, he was in Moscow. Again, lovely time with lovely people.

Don't believe the media.

As for learning Polish. The The Jagiellonian University in Krakow has Polish classes for English speakers.
Krakow is a lovely ancient town with mountains nearby for hiking. In 1972, it was like walking into a fairyland. I'm sure it is still pretty nice.

Quote:
The Centre for Polish Language and Culture in the World at the Jagiellonian University offers summer programs for foreigners that focus on the Polish language and Polish culture. These programs will be organized as part of the Summer School of Polish Language and Culture at the Jagiellonian University in July and August. We offer Polish language courses, lectures on Polish culture, history and art, as well as on social, political and economic issues. Additionally, there is a rich and varied tourist and cultural program. Every year hundreds of foreigners from dozens of countries around the world participate in the Summer School programs and learn about both the Polish culture and language, but above all, they participate in a unique project that gives them an opportunity to study another culture first hand and to make new friends.

Classes are held in the historic buildings of the centuries-old university.
The six week program is a little more than $2,000.

https://plschool.uj.edu.pl/en_GB/szkola-l/programy2

Learning Polish is doable. Poles love Americans and are friendly people.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:25 PM

Yorktown Gal

Thanks very much for the great information and the link.

Regards

Old 02-08-2020, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Simply amazing. Many thanks for the kindness of sharing this. This is the kind of information I am looking for. I am going to look at Tuzla this evening on Google Earth. One question.... we see in a lot of western propaganda about how everyone is scared of Russia, curious about whether people there feel that way or its just western media.

Again thanks for sharing.

Regards
Expat
I am very glad to see you want to go there. Tuzla is best seen when visiting. Or even fast bus rides close to Constanta Romania. And on walks to the beach. Especially when having a private house there. Are you wanting to own the house my Aunt is trying to sell. Only 35,000 Euros.

People in Romania don't really think of Russia. Just very lightly.

Old 02-08-2020, 02:02 AM

Hi

Tuzla is beautiful! I looked extensively there and at the rest of the country on Google Earth . I imagine that far north the winters are pretty impressive but I have experienced that before in other places.

I have lived in a number of different places in Latin America (still in Ecuador) and one rule I observe is to go and rent somewhere for a minimum of one year before considering buying anything. The house sounds perfectly beautiful and thanks for the offer....but it might be be a bit large for one person living alone. I do definitely want to go there.

Again thanks for the great suggestion!

Regards

Old 02-11-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Hi

Tuzla is beautiful! I looked extensively there and at the rest of the country on Google Earth . I imagine that far north the winters are pretty impressive but I have experienced that before in other places.

I have lived in a number of different places in Latin America (still in Ecuador) and one rule I observe is to go and rent somewhere for a minimum of one year before considering buying anything. The house sounds perfectly beautiful and thanks for the offer....but it might be be a bit large for one person living alone. I do definitely want to go there.

Again thanks for the great suggestion!

Regards
Rustic rooftops and private house ownership rate is at 99% in Tuzla. Some people don't even know that Romania has a sea ocean. A very welcoming inviting entrance. 4 Seasons turquoise seas in Eforie that looks like the Bahamas! Never any alligators, deadly jellyfish, or weather disasters. The Black Sea, and Caspian are extremely comfortable. Some of my favorite beaches in this World. Relaxing.

Constanta is less one hour away. Nightlife friendly. Especially in summer months. Tons of cafes, restaurants, bars. There are architectural landmarks over there. Telegondola rides alongside the beach in Mamaia. Very rare.

Bucharest is for easygoing weekend trips with Train.

I miss my own Aunt's house. Rich memories in my own 6 months International residency stay July to December 2019.

Don't worry. I am going to ask my Aunt if she is able to rent the area rather than buying. Only three bedrooms on that side of the massive residential estate. She is selling one half of the entire dream.

Did you live in rural Ecuador or in Quito? Romania is having tons of Spain in the air. Other than Italy, and France.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:00 PM

I live in semi rural Ecuador, in a small town called Cotacachi, midway between the volcanoes of Cotacachi and Imbabura. Cotacachi is about half the distance between Quito and the border with Colombia (Ipiales). I lived in Quito before moving to Ibarra and now Cotacachi.

One mistake it is easy to make is having the cost of living first and everything else following that. I can not recommend Ecuador in any way primarily because of the culture's view of anyone from outside as a moving money target. I lived in Mexico before here and have lived in a number of other places and have never before seen the desire to gouge expats at the level it is here. I have never experienced this in any other latin culture.

Culturally Ecuador is dead. Forget anything about the fine arts if that is important to you. People routinely urinate in the streets in public in daylight in Quito and elsewhere and think nothing of it. Here in Cotacachi at some of the annual Indian festivals, the national police station a large contingent of riot police here for the festivities as well as water cannon trucks. The natives get drunk and hack each other up with machetes, bull whips or fist fights. Expats are wise to stay out of the city center during this time. There are nice people here, nice Ecuadorians but by and large expats are treated as money factories on the hoof. Lots of expats move here without spending the (to me) requisite minimum 1 year living in the culture, they speak no Spanish, attracted by comparatively low real estate prices and a lower cost of living. You see them 6 months or a year later wandering in a daze. Many of them never assimilate, never get over the culture shock and are gone as soon as they sell their properties (or before). So it is somewhat sad. I have stayed because I still climb a bit, the mountains and jungle are breathtaking but there isnt much else (to me ) to recommend this place. Why I am looking elsewhere. Hope this helps and remember this is only one person's experience. If you have a lot of money to throw at starting an expat life somewhere your experience may be different i.e. you buy a house and can afford to just walk away from it when things go sour. I am not wealthy so I could not.

As I said earlier Tuzla is beautiful. I am going to research what it takes to get a permanent visa there as well as investigate planning to go there during the N Hemisphere's summer.

Many kind thanks for your great information and suggestions. As far as renting your aunt's house it is very nice for you to offer that and I deeply appreciate it but again, I do not want large lodgings, more to take care of, more on utilities, more to clean &c&C. Very kind of you to offer this and it is much appreciated.

Regards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe